Issues with Verizon Internet

Zguy28

I've been on Metrocast since they put the lines in to support it. (8 years), Only a few DNS outages from them. Totally happy with the service.
Use OpenDNS. Metrocast's DNS is terrible. Plus you can do free Internet filtering with OpenDNS.

merc669

I agree with OpenDNS. Its free. I have my router use one from OpenDNS (Primary) and one from Metrocast (Secondary). Never really any issues.

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
This weekend was the worst we have had so far. It will go down for hours at least 5 times a day if not more.

Yeah, that does sound bad. And I am positive Verizon support is the pits. We have Metrocast and I must say you must stay abreast on the technology because if you rely on their support, you may continue to have issues. Learn to setup and troubleshoot your modem/router. If you start to have issues with Metrocast, you'll be calling some newbie tech person, usually in PA, who will run through a bunch of script pages before they'll finally always agree to send out a service person... BUT! you have to be home or they won't show up. And no given time except morning or afternoon. So that means you have to take off work and sit on your thumbs in hope they show up. I had drop issues after I moved into this house in 2007/2008 and it was like every other week I had to stay home for them to come. A different guy each time and each had their own theory. Finally they decided to dig up and replace the feed to my house. That took months cause it is contracted out. After that, I still had drop issues. I stopped calling them and started learning and troubleshooting my own lines, modem and router. No major issues except outtages that everyone gets occasionally. Oh! I also dropped their cable service and just pay for the Internet... got tired of the constant pixel action when trying to watch TV.

creekboyz

My grandmother runs a business from home and my grandfather is a proffesor at CSM. When they are in the middle of payroll or grading papers the internet goes out. It's just not practical anymore. They cannot get their work done. They called metrocast and we have a consultation or whatever it is.

bohman

For the past 3-4 weeks we have been having alot of issuses with Verizon Internet and are planning to switch to metro cast.

Internet will go down for 3-4 times throughout the day. Sometimes for an hour and sometimes for only like 10 minutes. Verizon sent someone out last week and they said everything was fine and replaced our router anyway because it was a litttle old. So now we have a brand new router and the problems are still here....

We had the same problems for a while out here in Hollywood, and after hours of painful phone calls to India, I was ready to cancel.

But once I finally got a local tech to come out to the house while I was home*, he fixed us right up. Turned out the signal was sent through our alarm system before heading to the router; the resulting signal was too weak. We've been good ever since.

*This is the catch. Getting the folks in India to agree to sending a real live person to the house is a bitch, and I had to do everything but fly to India myself to make that happen. Then, once they do that, they'll send the guy out when you're not home, no matter how many times you tell them which hours you are/are not available to let them in.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I live in Ltown. Having the same issues. Ready to cancel the damn service. May consider Metrocast.

While not down for long, I've had to force a reboot of the modem (DSL) because we have lost network connection. It's new equipment and was not a problem until recently.
Was running a speed check recently and noticed that the performance is no longer consistant - which while slower than Metrocrap at it's peak, was at least consistant - it did not have the variation in speed you see with typical cable system setup.

That being said, looking at the cost of Metrocrap and it's past history of crappy service, I would be hard pressed to switch. Praying for Comcast or FiOS as alternatives.
(I know, fat chance)

John Z

if you will
Been having trouble with FiOS internet/voice (tv seems ok) over the last week. After this morning being the third incident (previous "fixes" have been to remotely "clear the lines"), the wife called in and they're coming out this afternoon to troubleshoot at the house.

C

czygvtwkr

I had problems for a few months during what I would consider the busiest times, guessing they did not have enough hardware for all the traffic. After a few months the issues just went away and I havent had them since.

The first 5-6 years I had verizon dsl I didnt have a single problem and am hoping that is the case now.