It looks like you can't trust Lithium batteries

Clem72

That was your organization's own fault, they failed to plan. We kept our legacy computers printers etc and had two computers on our desks for years. We actually still have some very old machines for such test equipment.
Maybe, I mean I guess they could have put up a bigger fight but it was largely out of our hands. Our facility didn't have our own NMCI reps, they came from higher level organization and they explicitly told us we couldn't be involved in the process other than to label what our computers were currently used for. An example might be if WOLF was given three days to "prepare" for a new provider, let's call it "ICMN" and then the ICMN people from PAX came in on an extended weekend and took everything.

PeoplesElbow

Maybe, I mean I guess they could have put up a bigger fight but it was largely out of our hands. Our facility didn't have our own NMCI reps, they came from higher level organization and they explicitly told us we couldn't be involved in the process other than to label what our computers were currently used for. An example might be if WOLF was given three days to "prepare" for a new provider, let's call it "ICMN" and then the ICMN people from PAX came in on an extended weekend and took everything.
Sadly that was a failure of leadership. Someone has to be in charge of you guys and they failed.

Personally I hate the leadership of my organization, but with things like this they do a good job.

TPD

the poor dad
I'm not familiar with this NMCI you guys & gals speak of so I did a quick Duck search and found this:

"NMCI has been a hugely successful program for the Navy," Weller said during a press briefing with reporters [14 October 2010]. "It has been a cost-effective way to deliver unprecedented level of service. We learned a lot about how to do it and how not to do it."

So now I'm really confused as to why you all are complaining about a "hugely successful program"...

Clem72

I'm not familiar with this NMCI you guys & gals speak of so I did a quick Duck search and found this:

So now I'm really confused as to why you all are complaining about a "hugely successful program"...
Doesn't hugely successful depends on the metrics used? But they use weasel words to define it even in this summary. "Cost effective" doesn't mean it was cheaper or a better value than what came before just that they think they got good value for what was produced. If their metric was to create an ungodly bureaucracy that stands between people and their ability to perform even the most basic tasks, well sure maybe they did it for a good price. Unprecedented is the worst descriptor ever, just means they never did it before. Our COVID response was unprecedented, does that make it good or bad or say nothing at all in truth?

Before NMCI each person in my shop had a work computer that was useful for e-mail and web usage. Didn't cost us anything besides a few hundred bucks to buy the initial hardware, and if we needed help there were a couple of "IT" guys on base that could provide it. Afterwards there were 1/3 as many computers and they charged us like $25k per seat per year for the privilege of having these computers and we had to pay for a dozen or so "NMCI reps" to help manage the hardware. That's objectively less productive for a crap ton more money. But only one anecdotal example.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

They claimed the fleet needed it because sailors were "buying" AOL accounts to email home, this was 20 years ago. It was more than sailors had, but that was nothing.

Imagine working with XYZ program and suddenly it disappears from your machine and you get the message that you need to have it reinstalled which takes several hours.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
They claimed the fleet needed it because sailors were "buying" AOL accounts to email home, this was 20 years ago. It was more than sailors had, but that was nothing.

Imagine working with XYZ program and suddenly it disappears from your machine and you get the message that you need to have it reinstalled which takes several hours.
Yeah, what got fixed was the after retirement employment of a lot of naval officers into EDS Inc. and HPs ranks.

PeoplesElbow

Yeah, what got fixed was the after retirement employment of a lot of naval officers into EDS Inc. and HPs ranks.
Lol an officer tried to force his friends company on me as "experts in the field" the expert turned out to be a kid straight out of college with his former CO collecting the check as the company owner.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Imagine working with XYZ program and suddenly it disappears from your machine and you get the message that you need to have it reinstalled which takes several hours, days, or even weeks.
FIFY

Clem72

Yeah, that's BS. I don't think anyone ever actually bought an AOL account. Weren't they giving away like 100,000 free hours by the time NMCI rolled around?

PeoplesElbow

Yeah, that's BS. I don't think anyone ever actually bought an AOL account. Weren't they giving away like 100,000 free hours by the time NMCI rolled around?
Having been aboard a carrier with NMCI I can say it wasn't much different in connectivity between 2000 and 2018 (last time I was on a carrier). Had to sign away my life to make a POTS call to shore every time because the network isn't "very good".

DannyMotorcycle

I love my EV's i buy them below market and get free charging and they're reliable with little maintenance..
I wish they would catch on fire and give me that insurance payout and make money.