It's all fun and games until....

Midnightrider

Um, no. It's only acting if all participants know it's merely a costume. If you put on a highway patrol uniform and pull someone over to harass them, you can't use the defense that you were only "acting". In fact you will be charged with impersonating a police officer.

It hurts my head that you really do need these things explained to you.

Yeah, I’m sure that’s never happened before :killingme

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48EjXoCZ8qc[/video]

Hank

my war
Um, no. It's only acting if all participants know it's merely a costume. If you put on a highway patrol uniform and pull someone over to harass them, you can't use the defense that you were only "acting". In fact you will be charged with impersonating a police officer.

It hurts my head that you really do need these things explained to you.

So, Allen Funt should have been jailed, dammit!!!

Hijinx

IMO Sarah should sue the sonofabitch for fraud and misrepresentation.
Pretty sure she received no salary and paid her own way for the interview.
(I could be wrong about this, but I don't think so.)
If anyone knows better please respond with a link.

So Sarah goes to be interviewed by this fake soldier at her own expense and her own time.

The socksucker owes her for the time and the expense for travel at the least.

And a good ass whipping would do him a world of good. Now THAT would be worth watching.

officeguy

Any such case wouldn't make it far in the courts. Most of these 'stolen valor' laws have already been struck down. He is an actor, he plays a role, that's as first amendment as it comes.

He isnt all that funny. But that's not a crime.

Hijinx

Any such case wouldn't make it far in the courts. Most of these 'stolen valor' laws have already been struck down. He is an actor, he plays a role, that's as first amendment as it comes.

He isnt all that funny. But that's not a crime.

Maybe it should be.

edinsomd

i have never found him funny either, but dont actors wear military decorations all the time as part of their costumes? How would this be any different?

Fraudulent Representations About Receipt of Military Decorations or Medals.—
Whoever, with intent to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit, fraudulently holds oneself out to be a recipient of a decoration or medal described in subsection (c)(2) or (d) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

officeguy

For a while a bunch of states had statutes modeled after the federal act. Most of those were struck down as unconstitutional. The law you cited applies to folks trying to get into veterans housing etc.

Any case dealing with a bona fide arts performance is going to fall flat in the courts. No US attorney in his right mind is going to pretzel that law in an attempt to prosecute Cohen. Any actor in a WW2 movie would be subject to prosecution because after all he gets paid for displaying rank insignia or medals he didnt earn.

MiddleGround

Something tells me that if this was James Woods holding the interview with Michelle Obama.. we wouldn't be hearing a peep about it :yay:

The guy is an actor and was playing a comedic part, doing a bit for a TV show. This has happened countless times. Nothing to see here.

Midnightrider

Something tells me that if this was James Woods holding the interview with Michelle Obama.. we wouldn't be hearing a peep about it :yay:

The guy is an actor and was playing a comedic part, doing a bit for a TV show. This has happened countless times. Nothing to see here.

Not to mention Palin probably got paid and signed a contract saying they could use what they filmed.