Jake & Al's Chophouse is closed?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Shortly after moving here we got the newspaper with the readers choice awards, among the winners of the "most romantic dining establishments" was none other than the Western Steer. Seriously.

You fansy people with your high falutin' ideas don't know from romance. If you go to Western Steer for dinner, you have more money left over for gifts at the dirty book store on GMR. Do I have to explain everything to you??

:rolleyes:

Pete

Repete
I'm at a loss as to why you can't comprehend folks actually enjoying food from a chain.

When I am out and about I personally love, love, love going to Lonestar for their 7-pepper steak salad with balsamic dressing. It is what I order 99.9% of the time because it is always exactly what I want and at a price I think is reasonable for what I am getting.

I am still hungry

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You fansy people with your high falutin' ideas don't know from romance. If you go to Western Steer for dinner, you have more money left over for gifts at the dirty book store on GMR. Do I have to explain everything to you??

:rolleyes:

I thought that was on Shangri La.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I am out and about I personally love, love, love going to Lonestar for their 7-pepper steak salad with balsamic dressing. It is what I order 99.9% of the time because it is always exactly what I want and at a price I think is reasonable for what I am getting.

And I believe you are the norm when it comes to restaurant diners - you want familiarity and consistency at a lower price.

That's always fine with me because it means there's no wait or reservation needed when I'm dying for the $22 osso bucco at Back Creek Bistro. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
And I believe you are the norm when it comes to restaurant diners - you want familiarity and consistency at a lower price.

That's always fine with me because it means there's no wait or reservation needed when I'm dying for the $22 osso bucco at Back Creek Bistro. :yay:

Or the Bistro Lobster. :drool:

BernieP

Resident PIA
You also have to take into consideration about the staff. You're not exactly going to attract many top-notch, trained and educated chefs to SoMD. A chef that wants to work with higher quality menus wants to work in areas like DC. Very rarely do they want to come out to the schticks and cook for the majority of people down here. Restaurants also plain can't afford to bring them out here. And same for the rest of the restaurant staff. When a kid with barely a GED gets fired from Ruby Tuesday, he/she goes over to Texas Roadhouse looking for the next job. It's a constant rotation of lousy waitstaff who, the majority of, plan on working min. wage for life. :shrug:

Also, ingredients. As much as we love that whole "Farm to Table" thing, it's expensive as hell and we're in a peninsula-like area. 1-2 ways in and out, no throughway. We might have plenty of produce farms around here but it's actually way more expensive to buy the tomatoes for some fresh-made marinara instead of importing it in a bag or a can.

to steal from "A Field of Dreams", if you build it, they will come. Check out the Inn at Little Washington - it's in Washington, Va. Not exactly the big city, not even close.
But it's like one of the top 10 restaurants in the region. You would be amazed at where chefs will go, where they choose to live. Getting and retaining a trained wait staff is hard, particularly in this area. But college kids (cough St. Mary's) often are very good. I don't know where Café D'Artists recruits, but they are well trained. Of course you have a hands on owner/chef who is involved in his supply chain as well as his restaurant. I guess it's a problem for some that menus at places like this change with the seasons, with what is available. The chefs would rather change the menu than serve something they feel is substandard.
But people also have to expect to pay a little more and to tip accordingly, not be cheap.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
to steal from "A Field of Dreams", if you build it, they will come. Check out the Inn at Little Washington - it's in Washington, Va. Not exactly the big city, not even close.
But it's like one of the top 10 restaurants in the region. You would be amazed at where chefs will go, where they choose to live. Getting and retaining a trained wait staff is hard, particularly in this area. But college kids (cough St. Mary's) often are very good. I don't know where Café D'Artists recruits, but they are well trained. Of course you have a hands on owner/chef who is involved in his supply chain as well as his restaurant. I guess it's a problem for some that menus at places like this change with the seasons, with what is available. The chefs would rather change the menu than serve something they feel is substandard.
But people also have to expect to pay a little more and to tip accordingly, not be cheap.

I have always wanted to go there. I also like the seasonal menus with fresh whatever at the time. Chains ALWAYS taste exactly the same and are way over salted. :bloat:

BernieP

Resident PIA

I would agree on the consistency part except the chains down here seem to end up mismanaged and consistency goes out the window. Even with the chains, it's about the management, the staff and training. As an example, based on recent experience, if I compare Texas Roadhouse to Longhorn, I think Roadhouse is better. Only because I've had fewer (zero) problems with a meal - including service. There are times that you think they have to go pump the water because it takes forever to get a drink.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

I would rather eat microwaved olive garden crap than ever eat at back creek again..that place was a nightmare. The food was horrendous, Ice cold and insanely overpriced. I was excited to try after the reviews here..but goes to show..people have different tastes :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I would rather eat microwaved olive garden crap than ever eat at back creek again..that place was a nightmare. The food was horrendous, Ice cold and insanely overpriced. I was excited to try after the reviews here..but goes to show..people have different tastes :shrug:

Wow. You must have been there on a rare bad night. I have never had a bad meal or service there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I'm always amazed when someone says they had a bad meal at Back Creek. Service can be...sluggish, but I've never ever, not once, had a bad meal there - and I have dinner there at least once a month. I suspect it's not a matter of taste (who likes horrendous ice cold food? :lol:) but that you caught them on a bad night.

Pete

Repete
That is a shock. I have never had a bad time there, nor have I heard anyone else having a bad meal until now.

johnjrval424

I agree completely with the philosophy that people want consistency. I would love to find a restaurant that I could patronize where I could order the shrimp one night, steak another and maybe a pasta dish yet another - and each time I visit, could order it again and get it the same way.

I give a little latitude when it comes to so-called sluggish service because sometimes it stems from the kitchen not doing their job. The waitstaff can only serve as quickly as the kitchen prepares - but if your food comes to the table cold, or your drink glass goes empty longer than it should, or the staff doesn't "check" on you periodically and maybe offer up a complimentary basket of bread because the food is slow to appear, then there are issues that need to be addressed.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I agree completely with the philosophy that people want consistency. I would love to find a restaurant that I could patronize where I could order the shrimp one night, steak another and maybe a pasta dish yet another - and each time I visit, could order it again and get it the same way.

I give a little latitude when it comes to so-called sluggish service because sometimes it stems from the kitchen not doing their job. The waitstaff can only serve as quickly as the kitchen prepares - but if your food comes to the table cold, or your drink glass goes empty longer than it should, or the staff doesn't "check" on you periodically and maybe offer up a complimentary basket of bread because the food is slow to appear, then there are issues that need to be addressed.

part 3 of why "fine dining" doesn't work; people equate good service with speed. I can order my wings at BWW and they are out in under 10 minutes. Or, "I get a meal at Olive Garden in 10 minutes".
When everything is cooked to order, from scratch, it takes longer. I don't think people realize Olive Garden meals are packaged, they didn't make that sauce today, or the pasta fresh.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
part 3 of why "fine dining" doesn't work; people equate good service with speed.

Good service does not mean "fast", it means "attentive". But I get it because my folks are the type that run in, order, wolf their food, and are out of there like they only have a half hour dinner break before they have to clock back in at the factory. They don't drink, so no lingering over a glass of wine. They almost never dine with friends or anyone except each other, so conversational time killing is out. Seriously, the only reason they go to dinner is because my mom doesn't feel like cooking. JTK or KFC, they don't care, they just want it fast.

I'm the type that as long as my glass is full of something, I'm good. In fact, if my glass keeps getting refilled, I can forget about food altogether. :jet: