Judgmental

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just can't think of anyone I hate and I can't think of anyone I condemn.

I don't think you have to hate someone to condemn them. Hate is personal. Condemnation ain't nothin' but a thing - you can toss it out there to anyone who's done nothing to you personally, but that you think is unacceptable. Like someone who cuts up puppies and uses them for bait: I don't hate that person, but I absolutely judge and condemn them. Now if they cut up MY puppy, then I hate them.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I don't think you have to hate someone to condemn them. Hate is personal. Condemnation ain't nothin' but a thing - you can toss it out there to anyone who's done nothing to you personally, but that you think is unacceptable. Like someone who cuts up puppies and uses them for bait: I don't hate that person, but I absolutely judge and condemn them. Now if they cut up MY puppy, then I hate them.

See, if they cut up my puppy I could hate them too. But if I just heard about it I'd wonder what made them that way, what mental defect they had, abuse they may have suffered, would treatment help...I wouldn't condemn/judge them. :shrug:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Because I am highly judgmental and intend to remain that way.

I believe that most of the problems in this world are because everyone tries to be non-judgmental and allow all sorts of crazy people to run amok. And most of the people who admonish others to "not judge" are the craziest of all, which explains why they don't want others taking a hard look at them.

Any interest in a discussion?

Being overly judgmental causes people to say things like
"we can pretty much figure that this kid wasn't going to grow up to cure cancer or be the first female President, given her upbringing."
about dead kids, so I try to understand issues from both sides before I say things I'll regret.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Being overly judgmental causes people to say things like
about dead kids, so I try to understand issues from both sides before I say things I'll regret.

Truth hurts. :shrug: Which is why people have such a problem with others being judgmental.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And Merlin, since you brought it up, there was that story yesterday or whenever about the Haitian immigrant who lured the 13 year old into his dorm room and raped her. I'll frankly admit that my first thought upon reading that was, "Where the hell were this girl's parents that she was hanging out in a college dorm room at that age??"

That pesky judgmentalism again...

betty99

Judgment: the ability to judge, make a decision, or form an opinion objectively, authoritatively, and wisely, especially in matters affecting action; good sense; discretion: a man of sound judgment.

I am judgmental, I make no apologies. We all have to sort through the wheat and chafe in life and make decisions that will affect our money, time, choices, etc. Someone who does not use judgment wanders around without concious choice in the things they do or allow to have done to them.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Judgment: the ability to judge, make a decision, or form an opinion objectively, authoritatively, and wisely, especially in matters affecting action; good sense; discretion: a man of sound judgment.

I am judgmental, I make no apologies. We all have to sort through the wheat and chafe in life and make decisions that will affect our money, time, choices, etc. Someone who does not use judgment wanders around without concious choice in the things they do or allow to have done to them.

This.

Techno Kat

I am rarely brought to a point where I feel the need to publically react to an initial judgement of someone. I do admit appydayhappyappyhorseladypaso brings me to that point. Why would someone resort to having more than one account id in order to stir up trouble?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Judgement is conducive to self preservation.

In my judgment, these are the best two responses in this thread. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's interesting how a perfectly good word, with a perfectly good meaning, gets a negative connotation.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just because a person judges someone else, it does not mean it is the truth. It is the judger's perception.

You are correct. The comment about the kid wasn't really a judgment call, more of a societal observation.

I am rarely brought to a point where I feel the need to publically react to an initial judgement of someone. I do admit appydayhappyappyhorseladypaso brings me to that point. Why would someone resort to having more than one account id in order to stir up trouble?
Don't you just love when she has conversations with herself?

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Because I am highly judgmental and intend to remain that way.

I believe that most of the problems in this world are because everyone tries to be non-judgmental and allow all sorts of crazy people to run amok. And most of the people who admonish others to "not judge" are the craziest of all, which explains why they don't want others taking a hard look at them.

Any interest in a discussion?

Being judgmental isn't, per se, bad in my opinion - it depends on, among other things, why someone is passing judgement and what they are passing judgment based upon.

I try to be judgmental when and how it matters and not judgmental when and how it doesn't. Much the same is true when it comes to expressing (or not expressing) judgement passed.

When people talk about being judgmental, are they usually just referring to exercising (hopefully sound) judgment? If so, then being judgmental is, of course, a good thing.

It's been my experience though that people use the term to mean something somewhat different - something more than just using good judgment (i.e. with regard to things that affect oneself). It seems to me that it's often used to refer to passing judgment on things that don't necessarily affect oneself or don't necessarily matter much in the given context - i.e., to refer to passing judgment on things just because it makes one feel good to do so, and not necessarily because there's much other benefit (or need) to doing so.

betty99

When people talk about being judgmental, are they usually just referring to exercising (hopefully sound) judgment? If so, then being judgmental is, of course, a good thing.

It's been my experience though that people use the term to mean something somewhat different - something more than just using good judgment (i.e. with regard to things that affect oneself). It seems to me that it's often used to refer to passing judgment on things that don't necessarily affect oneself or don't necessarily matter much in the given context - i.e., to refer to passing judgment on things just because it makes one feel good to do so, and not necessarily because there's much other benefit (or need) to doing so.

Good point. Some people can have a glass of wine with dinner and some people get fall-down drunk every night.

My point is, judgment in and of itself is a process of determining the nature of something as it pertains to you. Some people use it wisely and for their benefit and not to the degredation of others, and some use it for malicious intent based on their own failings and skewed perceptions. Much like everything else in life and the known universe.

Personally, I have had to be very careful this week. My home was burglarized and I have been hypervigilant in my judgment of those I've come into contact with based on my heightened fear and anger. Because I am so wise and awesome, I have been very cautious of taking sweeping and irrational action based on my current tilted state of mind. :1bdz:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It seems to me that it's often used to refer to passing judgment on things that don't necessarily affect oneself or don't necessarily matter much in the given context - i.e., to refer to passing judgment on things just because it makes one feel good to do so, and not necessarily because there's much other benefit (or need) to doing so.
Give me an example.