Just Raise the Grades

SamSpade

I'm the spider killer in our house. Poor Ezra met his demise in the car yesterday... :bawl:

I kill them IN THE HOUSE.
I leave them alone outside unless they persist in trying to catch ME in their web.
For about a year, I had a spider who built a web across my front porch every damned morning.
I'd tear it down, tell Mr Spider to knock it off.

One day I opened the door - and the web was right across the door frame.

That was his last day.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
If you want more women in engineering, sciences and computers, you have to start younger and find a way to make it
interesting. When I switched to a university from the engineering school - I found other technical areas where women did
NOT lose interest - especially math but also chemistry and the biological sciences. It was still true that my engineering classes
were still mostly male, and some of them entirely male.

I guess there's no job waiting for you at GOOGLE

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You're not supposed to NAME them!
It was in the car! :lol:
I kill them IN THE HOUSE.
I leave them alone outside unless they persist in trying to catch ME in their web.
For about a year, I had a spider who built a web across my front porch every damned morning.
I'd tear it down, tell Mr Spider to knock it off.

One day I opened the door - and the web was right across the door frame.

That was his last day.
:lol:

I get those mostly I the fall. I almost always go out through the garage so I don't have to deal with that. The BF on the other hand... has some acquired some amazing ninja skillz! :lmao:

BOP

One professor at the University of Akron in Ohio seems to have cracked the code. Noticing that not all of the female students were performing at the same level on standardized testing as their male counterparts, professor Liping Liu quickly found a way to ensure that the young ladies would be heading for the employment market on equal footing with the guys. Read on to find out how this miracle took place. (New York Post, emphasis added)

University of Akron officials this week blocked a professor from carrying out his plan to raise female students’ grades as part of what he called a “national movement to encourage female students to go to information sciences.”

According to school officials, Liping Liu, an information systems analysis and design teacher who has worked at the university since 2001, said in an email to students:

“FYI, your grade has been sent to the university registrar. The following categories of students may see their grades raised one level or two: Female students (it is a national movement to encourage female students to go to information sciences).”

Who knew it was this simple? We’ve been having this massive debate over how to enroll more young women in technical career tracks, ensure they have the resources they need and stamp out any potential gender discrimination in hiring and setting wages. But all we needed to do was just bump all the girls’ scores up to Dean’s List levels and the problem would sort itself out. This guy is a genius.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/05/20/fighting-womens-rights-goes-oh-wrong/

b.jpg

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Women who want to enter that field certainly can, and there's nothing stopping them. The "problem" is that large numbers of women don't want to. Every year a #### ton of graduating girls go into cosmetology; a rare few go on to a STEM education and career. It's not that women "can't" meet the requirement; it's that they mostly don't want to.

Speaking for myself, I do NOT have a STEM wired brain. I'd fail miserably if I even considered going that route.

Same here. I'm interested in "people sciences", not "stuff sciences". The only time STEM makes sense to me is as it pertains to humans and their behavior.

:yeahthat:

All of it! :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I think that's mainly because women ask more questions and pay attention when people talk. Monello is occasionally amazed when I know more about his family than he does, but that's only because...I ask. If he asked, he would know these things too.

I think that's another difference between men and women: we're more interested in what's going on with people, and we'll either draw them out or ask what we want to know outright.

omigosh! We run into this all the time! :lol: I have to ask the peeps in his family what I want to know OR else, I know nothing about what's going on. We can visit for a family gathering, and there will have been a discussion that I only heard the tail end of. When I think about it again when we are on the way home or later at home and ask him about that discussion or conversation he won't know anything about it. :ohwell: