Keeping sharp during the Furlough

C

czygvtwkr

No, technically your status is still full-time career employee and as such you are entitled to a full-share contribution towards your FEHB benefits.

What is going to get cut is leave, after 80 furlough hrs are reached you will loose one pay period worth of leave.

nomoney

The general rule from NAVAIR was ALL employees would work Mon - Thur with Friday being the furlough day. Most divisions have redefined "core hours" as 8 to 4:30, with nobody allowed to work past 5PM.

Some exceptions have been made, but that's the guidance for all acquisition professionals. People supporting flight operations have staggered furlough days and are being authorized OT.

Contractor furlough impacts vary depending on funding. Some are allowed 36 hours of work, IF they can work from their off base office. Some are allowed to use leave.

The largest impact is the civil service acquisition people who are forced into the "perfect" furlough, 8 hours, 4 days a week - a true 20% reduction in pay. Cannot use leave, sick or annual, to compensate for the loss in pay.
Technically at 32 hours a week we are "part time" employees and should see a reduction in benefits as well. I have been "assured" that this will not be the case - however after we hit 10 furlough days we'll know for sure.

General rule is not the rule set in stone. Desertrat is right, there are some that are on a tue- fri schedule with Mondays off.

molly_21

The general rule from NAVAIR was ALL employees would work Mon - Thur with Friday being the furlough day. Most divisions have redefined "core hours" as 8 to 4:30, with nobody allowed to work past 5PM.

I am not sure what dept. you work, but we got told our core hrs are 830-3pm. So the earliest you can come in is at 0630 during the furlough to leave at 3pm. They want (meaning my dept) to have the building empty by 4pm, 430pm at the latest. I know some people have been fudging it and leaving at 230pm (and meaning coming in at 6am to leave at 230). I know some people like the mail people, they split their people up to where some have Monday off and some have Friday off. So not everyone who is furlough always has Friday off. I do know a lucky few NAVAIR employees who are not furloughed, but they are FMS funded.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What is going to get cut is leave, after 80 furlough hrs are reached you will loose one pay period worth of leave.
Agreed leave will be impacted for the pay period that one "achieves" the 80 hours in a non-pay status during the leave year. But those full-time employees being furloughed are not "technically part-time", a part-time employee under furlough has their leave prorated for each and every pay period just as they always do.

ftcret

I recall the days when there were Sailors on shore duty to do what ever work needed doing. Somewhere along the line it was determined that civilians could be contracted to do it better and cheaper.
Now when the grass isn't cut, butts picked up, ships not painted, bird shiite washed off the plane - it is because the too expensive Sailor is needed at sea becasue the shortage of qualified manpower (probably the qualified ones left because there was no shore billets - those jobs taken by contractors) and we don't have the money SAVED by contracting civilians ad infinitum...

No real tie in to your thread - carry on ...:buddies:

SG_Player1974

Oh, and dirigibles and blimps protect our troops overseas 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and do an exceptional job doing it.

And the one that was flying this past Friday was protecting the troops overseas HOW??

Those must be some POWERFUL cameras onboard! :whistle:

Im not saying that they are NOT important. Im just asking DID THEY HAVE TO BE FLYING ON FURLOUGH FRIDAY?

And.... I do remember reading somewhere that "Military WILL NOT be used as Government oversight!"

Makin' it hurt huh? :smack:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
And the one that was flying this past Friday was protecting the troops overseas HOW??

Im not saying that they are NOT important. Im just asking DID THEY HAVE TO BE FLYING ON FURLOUGH FRIDAY?

And.... I do remember reading somewhere that "Military WILL NOT be used as Government oversight!"

Based on what I have been reading is that not all activities have Friday as furlough day, it is possible that the dirigible folk have a Monday furlough day (or none at all) and were using the reduced operations within the airspace to maximize their testing that couldn't be accommodated when all activities compete for the airspace.

Beta

Smile!
But the Navy did cancel deployments earlier this year. One carrier group I think.
I think there's more than 1 carrier sitting around because of this. For anyone that's driven through Norfolk, it's SCARY -- I heard it was the most # of carriers sitting around since Pearl Harbor. They need to cut that #### out.

That's the plan, but if they reduce the furlough days, they'll probably just compensate by taking whatever leave we should have lost based on the number of hours we didn't work. Fortunately they aren't reducing any other benefits.

I am not sure what dept. you work, but we got told our core hrs are 830-3pm. So the earliest you can come in is at 0630 during the furlough to leave at 3pm. They want (meaning my dept) to have the building empty by 4pm, 430pm at the latest. I know some people have been fudging it and leaving at 230pm (and meaning coming in at 6am to leave at 230). I know some people like the mail people, they split their people up to where some have Monday off and some have Friday off. So not everyone who is furlough always has Friday off. I do know a lucky few NAVAIR employees who are not furloughed, but they are FMS funded.
I was thinking the same thing -- I have no idea where the 8-430pm thing came from, but the NAVAIR lead said 830-3pm are the base core hours, or something to that effect. It really depends on who you work for what your true core hours are, whether you're off Monday, Tuesday, Friday, or whatever, etc.

I think you're forgetting a few things.

1) This is still a Naval base. There have to be air traffic controllers and other personnel around, no matter what. Even if they're furloughed, they probably flex the hours so there's always someone available. Since Pax River is an emergency runway for other bases and airports should something go wrong, even if nobody else is flying, they need to staff the runway here.

2) Military isn't on furlough. Why can't they fly their blimp around? It's NOT test, because there is NO TESTING at Pax River on Friday. However, that doesn't mean the military isn't allowed to fly their aircraft for whatever other purposes as they see fit. They're still working even if most everyone else is at home.

3) I don't know anything about the blimp's flight, but what if it was returning home? I hadn't seen it around the base lately. Maybe the blimp had been elsewhere and was simply coming back on Friday? Are they not allowed to fly on Fridays because you're on furlough? Should they have waited until Monday to suit your schedule? :rolleyes:

nomoney

How many times does it have to be stated, just because you keep calling it furlough FRIDAY does not mean that everyone is furloughed on FRIDAYS. Keep up.