Kids Driving too Young

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
"Big Acting" only conjures up a picture of Orson Welles and Roseann Barr! UUuuunnnnnngggh! :twitch:

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
It's really a responsibility/competency issue, not an age issue, so changing the driving age to 18 won't "fix" anything. Only parents can judge if their child is responsible and competent enough to be trusted with a car. And since you have to co-sign for a driver's license for anyone under 18, the parents can determine if and when their child gets a license prior 18.

The "black box" IS really cool! Just read an article about it this past week. It has a flash memory card in it that records driving data, and you just plug the card into the home computer. It also gives an audio warning when the driver exceeds a certain speed or drives erratically. I think it costs around $299.

Yeah, it does sound like Big Brother, but knowing MY child, it would be a useful deterent just knowing that I could "check out" her driving "record" at any time! :)

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Since he first started driving, I told my son that he follows people too closely, but it wasn't until he back-ended a Mercedes a few weeks ago that he actually learned his lesson.
Experience is the best teacher, but at what cost?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Experience is the best teacher, but at what cost?
Apparently the cost is $299 and a foot in the kid's butt when he screws up.

FREE appetite suppressant - nude pix of Camryn Manheim Steamroller!
:lmao:

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Apparently the cost is $299 and a foot in the kid's butt when he screws up.

FREE appetite suppressant - nude pix of Camryn Manheim Steamroller!
:lmao:

Funny you mentioned that. His mother actually had the nerve to ask me to "help out" with the extra insurance costs. I've been very supportive of him and never missed a child support payment in 12 years, but I told her that we all get in accidents, and when we do, it sucks. He, like every other adult, needs to learn how to absorb the extra cost when he messes up and not have an easy way handed to him.
Harrumph!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Ken King, since you're laid up with a bit of time on your hands (and better at this stuff than I am) would you pretty please run down the stats of who is the biggest threat on the roads? Is it kids or adults, males or females?

Vraiblonde,

Statistics might be deceiving but here is what they say about young drivers at the NHTSA.DOT.GOV site, http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/TSF2000/2000ydrive.pdf make your own decision on what they mean. I wouldn’t say it is clear cut that age is a major factor. For general data that includes age groups and sex you can check out http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/TSF2000/2000ovrfacts.pdf

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ken King
... I wouldn’t say it is clear cut that age is a major factor.
Milage traveled would probably factor in there quite heavily I'd imagine. But there isn't much chance of gathering milage stats for age groups.

Sorry....Missed the stats .... jumping to the other link.

Last edited:

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by jetmonkey
Tulip growing, wood shoe wearing f*cks.

I don't know, I've always been intrigued as to why the little Dutch boy wanted to stick his finger in the Dyke, and why on earth she let him?!?!?!?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Back to the topic *ahem*

To me, the statistics clearly show that males are the primary ones involved in crashes. In particular, males age 16-20, with the 21-24 year old's hot on their heels. The highest risk group for females was the 16-20 group, but even they weren't as high as most other male groups.

So the obvious solution is to restrict men from driving.

And I love dogs - tastes like chicken!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Re: Back to the topic *ahem*

To me, the statistics clearly show that males are the primary ones involved in crashes.

Please cite your source.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Re: Back to the topic *ahem*

And I love dogs - tastes like chicken!

Nah,

It actually tastes like bear, just not as greasy and maybe a little more stringy. Cat is the worse as you can never get rid of all that hair and end up hacking all night long, but squirrel, tastes like chicken and the gravy begs for the biscuits.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Re: Re: Re: Back to the topic *ahem*

Originally posted by cariblue

bk, if you would read the thread, you would know the source. jeez, children and men!

I wasn't talking to you!
:p
:moon:
:p

Ken King

PREMO Member
You ever read Albert Fish's letters about what meat HE thought was the best? Creepy.

Naw, never read them but will look for them as now my interest is peaked.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Back to the topic *ahem*

Yeah, no sh*t, dingus :lmao:

You call me dingus again and I'll be forced to drive up there and make you install Spell-Chek on your computer!
Not just an idle threat, either!!!

Ken King

PREMO Member
Jet,

This was a real life Hannibal Lector I presume? I guess those who knew him never understood exactly what he meant by having a ball.