Kitchen Cabinet Re-do -- Reface or Replace?

Hi all,
We recently moved into a new home...that is, it's new to us, but it was actually built around 2000 with some fairly basic white laminate cabinets. They've taken some pretty hard use over the last decade from the previous owner and now that we're in, I'm thinking that tackling the kitchen is one of my top priorities. The cabinets themselves are still sturdy, leading me to wonder if refacing isn't the most cost effective way of doing things.

Has anyone in the area gone through the remodeling process? A part of me just wants to start over, but I'm afraid of the cost to a) tear down the existing cabinets b) build all new cabinets c) install all the new pieces and d) repair the drywall, paint, etc. Some of the DIY online forums I've visited say that the cost to do both are essentially the same at the end and that you should just get all new cabinets.

Any thoughts would be appreciated -- and if you've had a good experience with a local cabinet place, I'd love to hear about it. (A little wary of Lowe's and the other big box stores, but maybe this is unfounded?)
Thanks in advance!

Vince

I am also looking to redo my kitchen. Cabinets, countertops, sink and new frig. Haven't priced it out yet, but I figure 10K for the works. Maybe save a couple grand and do the cabinet install myself.

bcp

In My Opinion
If you can swing it, new is best most of the time.
Reface works well and looks good, but you still have the same cabinet as far as strength goes.

You might be surprised at the small difference in price between new and reface. Most people can buy and hang new themselves and make it look good, most people cannot buy the materials and reface and have it look good

I know, the post was little help.

but, go to a few different places and look at the cabinets and find pricing to do it yourself, then call a few people to come in and price refacing. go from there.

bcp

In My Opinion
I am also looking to redo my kitchen. Cabinets, countertops, sink and new frig. Haven't priced it out yet, but I figure 10K for the works. Maybe save a couple grand and do the cabinet install myself.

My parents just did a redo on the kitchen. new cabinets, all new appliances, new flooring and new countertops. just a hair over 30k.

Im redoing mine, new flooring, walls, and cabinets, right around 3k

xobxdoc

I had a refinishing business in the Outer Banks before I moved here. Refacing cabinets was part of it. Sears was easily double what I would charge. Refacing can be an inexpensive alternative to replacement. I would get several estimates. Ask for before and after pictures and customer referrences.

I had a refinishing business in the Outer Banks before I moved here. Refacing cabinets was part of it. Sears was easily double what I would charge. Refacing can be an inexpensive alternative to replacement. I would get several estimates. Ask for before and after pictures and customer referrences.

I had Sears come in for an estimate. $12K just to reface. Saving up and will do a full replacement myself.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I've started looking at the classifieds to buy reasonably priced, used cabinets.

One ad has some for $8K :yikes:

xobxdoc

I had Sears come in for an estimate. $12K just to reface. Saving up and will do a full replacement myself.

Some large companies were known to base the price for cabinet refacing on the value of your house no matter how much material or time it took. My average price I charged to reface was 4-6K. I based it on the number of doors and drawer fronts.

So glad I'm not alone in this -- thanks all for your replies. Wow -- the Sears price for refacing is high! (Just surprised at what someone would charge for refacing...)

There's a cabinet maker in Loveville -- Miller's, I think? I may go to them and see what they charge. We definitely do not have 30k to throw at this project...would love to make it look as if it cost that much though! :roflmao:

I was looking at ready to assemble cabinets -- figure I can at least put them together if someone more skilled than I am (which is just about any handy individual) can tear down the old and hang them. Specifically there's a place called "closeout cabinets" (add a .com and you'll see the site) that says they offer solid wood cabinets at a discounted price because they have a warehouse full of prefabricated cabinets -- and they'll give you a 20% discount if you assemble them yourselves. (And for that, I'll pick up a screwdriver and figure out how screw A goes in slot B.) Has anyone thought of going with a ready to assemble bunch of cabinets?

Last edited:
Thought I'd bump this to give a quick follow-up...

To give ourselves an idea of what it might run to re-do our kitchen from scratch, we went to a local kitchen place in St. Mary's and had them come out to do their measurements and talk about what we were looking for. A few days ago, I went back to their store to see what they'd drawn up based upon our chat. Good grief. They wanted $45,000 just for the cabinets. :cds: And that phenomenal price didn't include labor, let alone some new countertops, appliances, etc. Granted, we have a fairly large area to call a kitchen, but I specifically told the guy that we wanted to do everything on a budget...no "soft-close drawers", no "full extension", etc. Just the basics and a few pretty touches on the island.

So, it goes without saying that we're back to square one. Hubby and I discussed it last night and there's no way we're going into that amount of debt for the sake of having a different color cabinet. On to plan B, which will probably mean looking at designing our own layout and buying the "RTA" (ready to assemble) cabinets. There are some pretty nice ones out there...anyone know a good general contractor who can help with the demo and installation process?? (I'm handy enough that I could assemble...just can't tackle the hanging.)

Thanks for your thoughts!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I DETEST my kitchen cabinets. They are wood, but almost a white washed/pinkish color..hideous. I was considering whether to paint them (which I'd hate to do, I love wood) or if I could sand and stain them? (sounds like a PITA) and I have no where near the cash to replace them :( so if anyone has any ideas for making ugly color cabinets prettier I'd love to hear it.

butterfly08

I hate my kitchen cabinets too! Our house was built in the 70's and you can tell looking by looking at our kitchen! We're working on redoing everything once we save up the money.

tes218

To give ourselves an idea of what it might run to re-do our kitchen from scratch, we went to a local kitchen place in St. Mary's and had them come out to do their measurements and talk about what we were looking for. A few days ago, I went back to their store to see what they'd drawn up based upon our chat. Good grief. They wanted $45,000 just for the cabinets. :cds: And that phenomenal price didn't include labor, let alone some new countertops, appliances, etc. Granted, we have a fairly large area to call a kitchen, but I specifically told the guy that we wanted to do everything on a budget...no "soft-close drawers", no "full extension", etc. Just the basics and a few pretty touches on the island.

So, it goes without saying that we're back to square one. Hubby and I discussed it last night and there's no way we're going into that amount of debt for the sake of having a different color cabinet. On to plan B, which will probably mean looking at designing our own layout and buying the "RTA" (ready to assemble) cabinets. There are some pretty nice ones out there...anyone know a good general contractor who can help with the demo and installation process?? (I'm handy enough that I could assemble...just can't tackle the hanging.)

We had our kitchen remodeled and after spending time with several different businesses went with Reico in White Plains. Our consultant was great and offered various plans to cover all price ranges and he didn't suggest the most expensive. We were able to add some additional features until we were comfortable with the total price. The contractor he brought in was amazing, a husband and wife team that were neat, polite, and quick. They did some electrical and painting also.

bobbiecoda

I was in the Habitat for Humanity Restore in Waldorf recently and they have new kitchen all wood cabinets in a variety of colors and styles. We are currently pricing our kitchen around and these are definately a contender. Good luck with your kitchens.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

What about painting them?

acommondisaster

Kitchen renos are tough on a tight budget. It's just like those damn photo packets of your kids that they advertise for $9.95, but once they take the pictures, you're not getting out of there for less than $100.

Once you get started on the kitchen design you start thinking "$30 more for this or that isn't much more" and "if we're going to do this renovation we really ought to do (this)" and before you know, you've added thousands worth of "little upgrades". The key is to look at you currently have, make a realistic list of what else you need and stick to it.

Home Depot gives military discounts if you ask. :)

granny45

To everyone who is interested in redoing their kitchen--my husband is a trim carpenter and he is in need of some work. So if you are interested in replacing your cabinets, he can install them for you; you would have to buy them and then he could install. If anyone is interested give him a call. Cell phone number is 301-904-7082.

Thanks all.