Kitchen Cabinets

BOP

Does anyone know if they make kitchen cabinets without using particleboard?

SandieGarry

Plywood kitchen cabinets

We just remodeled our kitchen (cabinets, floor, granite tops, paint, new lighting and glass mosaic backsplash) and we got 4 estimates. We ended up going with So Md Kitchen & Bath in Wildewood. Nancy was our designer. She is awesome. The other 3 estimates were the same price, all particle board construction, melamine drawers, no pull out trays, thermofoil doors, just your basic kitchen. For the same price, we got painted maple doors, half of the cabinets are plywood boxes, 3/4" maple drawers with dovetails and under mount, soft close slides, double pull out trays ( same as drawers), a trash can cabinet and the best lazy susan corner cabinet available :yahoo: . The point is, shop around, get a couple of estimates, at least 3.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I make my own so, yes!! Willow oak cabinets in the kitchen and master bath. Cedar in the first floor bathroom and some kind of fruit tree for the kids bathroom. Won't use that again, it was hard to work with. Did oak and barnwood cabinets in my horse trailer. As soon as it cools up some I'm going to make some cedar cabinets for an outdoor kitchen on the deck.

mamatutu

mama to two
I make my own so, yes!! Willow oak cabinets in the kitchen and master bath. Cedar in the first floor bathroom and some kind of fruit tree for the kids bathroom. Won't use that again, it was hard to work with. Did oak and barnwood cabinets in my horse trailer. As soon as it cools up some I'm going to make some cedar cabinets for an outdoor kitchen on the deck.

You make your own cabinets? That is awesome! Are you a carpenter, or have you taught yourself how to do this? Impressive.

mamatutu

mama to two
Does anyone know if they make kitchen cabinets without using particleboard?

I don't know what your existing cabinets are or what your goal is, but we did refacing because our kitchen cabinets were solid wood and sturdy.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
We shopped around and figured out what we had was much better than what we could buy. Ours were solid birch. It took a while but we refinished them and were glad for it.
With the money saved we had SoMD Kitchen and Bath come in for the counter top (quartz), sink (soapstone) and faucet...BIG MISTAKE!! I don't even want to rehash it all cause it's been a good day. Just from our experience, I'll tell you to stay far away from them.

C

czygvtwkr

We shopped around and figured out what we had was much better than what we could buy. Ours were solid birch. It took a while but we refinished them and were glad for it.
With the money saved we had SoMD Kitchen and Bath come in for the counter top (quartz), sink (soapstone) and faucet...BIG MISTAKE!! I don't even want to rehash it all cause it's been a good day. Just from our experience, I'll tell you to stay far away from them.

Don't drop a bomb like that and run, why? I know several people that had them do work for them and were very pleased with it.

Vince

Same here. Current kitchen is all oak. My next one will be cherry, when I have the time to start woodworking again. :banghead:

C

czygvtwkr

Same here. Current kitchen is all oak. My next one will be cherry, when I have the time to start woodworking again. :banghead:

I am going to attempt Hickory when the time comes, hear it is hard to work with.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
There are many places that make nice ones. Not sure you are going to find at Lowes though. I think Deans is now doing that?

I was amazed.. we went and bought at Ikea for our basement laundry room, and was amazed that the $600 cabinet at Lowes was made from the same cheap particle board as the $100 cabinet from Ikea..

Why would anybody pay Lowes prices?