Kitchen Cabinets?

GeezLouise

tired and content....
Where is the best place to get kitchen cabinets/countertops etc that aren't too overly priced? Hubby and I want to redo the kitchen and wasn't sure where the best place to look would be.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The ones I got for my house were done by Cord's Cabinetry in Mechanicsville. I got estimates from Lowe's and Home Depot and they were actually less expensive than them. :yay:

GeezLouise

tired and content....
jazz lady said:
The ones I got for my house were done by Cord's Cabinetry in Mechanicsville. I got estimates from Lowe's and Home Depot and they were actually less expensive than them. :yay:

Do they have pre-made cabinets? We don't need installation, just the cabinets. I don't even know where to start. :ohwell:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
GeezLouise said:
Where is the best place to get kitchen cabinets/countertops etc that aren't too overly priced? Hubby and I want to redo the kitchen and wasn't sure where the best place to look would be.
Would it be an option to redo the cabinets yourself? My dad did this in his old house and they turned out beautiful. Time consuming, but in the end he was pleased with them.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Chasey_Lane said:
Would it be an option to redo the cabinets yourself? My dad did this in his old house and they turned out beautiful. Time consuming, but in the end he was pleased with them.

I'm thinking about doing that. I'm also thinking that it will be a lot of work. I'd have to sand them all down and then either paint them or re-stain and varnish. Once I start, I'll be committed so I can't get myself to get started.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
GeezLouise said:
Do they have pre-made cabinets? We don't need installation, just the cabinets. I don't even know where to start. :ohwell:

Yes, they do. Their number is (301) 884-4909. I'm not sure what their hours are but they have a big showroom now so you can see all the choices.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I want new counter tops. Like Jabba's; either granite or corian on the island and the rest can stay the laminate. That one piece being different adds something to the entire kitchen.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
Yes, they do. Their number is (301) 884-4909. I'm not sure what their hours are but they have a big showroom now so you can see all the choices.

Cord's Cabinetry
29770 Three Notch Road
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622

Monday thru Friday 8:30-5:00
Saturday 8:30-1:00
Sunday Closed

www.cordscabinetry.com

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
May I suggest that under no circumstance even consider thermofoil cabinets. They are VERY attractive but crap.

FIREMAN

I recommend getting cabinets with real wood. None of the partical BS. More in the $$$$ but worth it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
FIREMAN said:
I recommend getting cabinets with real wood. None of the partical BS. More in the $$$$ but worth it.

:yeahthat: I have hickory real wood cabinets and absolutely LOVE them.

Ponytail

nomoney said:
whats the difference between the hickory and the maple? Is one better for the $?

The reason why I got Maple cabintes was because of the wood grain. Maple has an almost non-existant wood grain. Since I'm putting in hardwood floors, and I have a dark cedar ceiling, I wanted something that didn't have a heavy grain.

Hickory is a nice hardwood, but commonly has dark color variations thru it, which is why I'm getting hickory floors. :yay: I liked the color contrast available in the hickory for my floors. For cabinets, Maple is what is commonly used for the lighter grains, just cuz it's cheaper and takes a stain better. :yay:

One isn't better than the other. Just depends on what look you are going for. Thats it.

nomoney

Ponytail said:
The reason why I got Maple cabintes was because of the wood grain. Maple has an almost non-existant wood grain. Since I'm putting in hardwood floors, and I have a dark cedar ceiling, I wanted something that didn't have a heavy grain.

Hickory is a nice hardwood, but commonly has dark color variations thru it, which is why I'm getting hickory floors. :yay: I liked the color contrast available in the hickory for my floors. For cabinets, Maple is what is commonly used for the lighter grains, just cuz it's cheaper and takes a stain better. :yay:

One isn't better than the other. Just depends on what look you are going for. Thats it.

thank ya