Leonardtown siren

mitzi

Does anyone know why the fire department's siren was removed in Leonardtown? It seems strange not hearing it go off all the time.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Probably for the same reason the one up here at the Beach was taken down. Urban pioneers moving in from the DC area objected to it because it "disturbed' and "scared" them.

The same way they've tried (and somewhat succeeded) in getting rid of duck hunting on the Bay offshore. They're now working to get rid of the watermen's crabpots and banning fishing.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I haven't heard the one on Chancellor's since the time change. Maybe I've become deaf to it?

Oh well, no need to worry. We have a supermoon tomorrow. :killingme

mitzi

Probably for the same reason the one up here at the Beach was taken down. Urban pioneers moving in from the DC area objected to it because it "disturbed' and "scared" them.

The same way they've tried (and somewhat succeeded) in getting rid of duck hunting on the Bay offshore. They're now working to get rid of the watermen's crabpots and banning fishing.

The crab pots and fishing? Why do the PTB cave in to these people, it just burns me up. The only time it scared me was when we were under a tornado warning and then you need to be alerted. I saw it being taken down the other day, but I figured it was being replaced. I was so used to hearing it off and on every day, I just tuned it out. Then I thought about it today and I haven't heard it for days.

Tech

The are replacing the one in California with a PA type siren. In addition to an alert signal they will be able to have voice messages too. Maybe they are doing the same in Leonardtown.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
The are replacing the one in California with a PA type siren. In addition to an alert signal they will be able to have voice messages too. Maybe they are doing the same in Leonardtown.

I'm not deaf?! Thanks for the information. I do miss the 12:00 siren.

mitzi

I hate to sound dumb, but what is a PA type?

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
It's in the process of being replaced. They put ours (Ridge's) up yesterday and it won't be active until late next week. Valley Lee's was supposed to be today and I believe Leonardtown was Wednesday.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
That's what I thought but can't picture how it will work. Guess I'll have to just wait and see!

They are pre-programmable. It can play whatever they (the county or dept) decides. It can be used as a PA, there's a plug in at the control panel I believe.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
It's in the process of being replaced. They put ours (Ridge's) up yesterday and it won't be active until late next week. Valley Lee's was supposed to be today and I believe Leonardtown was Wednesday.

That's what I thought was happening. 7D has the new laying on the ground behind the station, with the siren part still wrapped in plastic.