Let's go camping! It will be fun

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
zero upgrades and people used to go to the restaurant down there to eat and watch the bands but the new owner doesn't want "those kinds of people there," so they changed it.

Seriously? People cutting up on the weekends having fun kind of people?

Where we are can get a bit wild sometimes - it is funny, actually. We had zero openings where we are but Dennis Point had like 10 season sites empty when we checked the place out. How can they afford to operate with so many vacancies?
I have no idea. I've only been there to go to the restaurant. Some might now go to Take It Easy campground. I don't camp, so I don't know.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
zero upgrades and people used to go to the restaurant down there to eat and watch the bands but the new owner doesn't want "those kinds of people there," so they changed it.

Seriously? People cutting up on the weekends having fun kind of people?

They don't want people spending money at their place?

That's hilarious!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know people that pulled out of Dennis Point due to rates. If I understand correctly, it was bought out by a company from DC that wants to upgrade it, but nothing mentioned how so.
Dennis Point was recently purchased by a venture capital group that focuses on recreational properties. Its my understanding that this is the first marina property they've acquired. They gonna learn some things.... They did convince Capt. Pat to stay.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Same thing happened at Coles Point Plantation some years ago. New owner came in and shoved Anne and Chris out and installed some high-falutin chef that openly stated he didn't like cooking seafood. New owner also stated he wanted a "different kind of clientele" than the local rednecks. Anne and Chris moved on to Coles Point Tavern (which is doing great!) ....there is no operating restaurant at Coles Point Plantation at the moment.

Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Same thing happened at Coles Point Plantation some years ago. New owner came in and shoved Anne and Chris out and installed some high-falutin chef that openly stated he didn't like cooking seafood. Anne and Chris moved on to Coles Point Tavern....there is no operating restaurant at Coles Point Plantation at the moment.
Yep Tim's Seafood, right? They closed earlier this year for good. That could have been a cash cow, IMO.

I follow a private page at Coles Point Plantation and this year, they said the rates increased by $1650/$1850 (inside vs. water view) making the overall seasonal rate +/- 6 grand. Within 48 hours of the price hike notice (Dec. 12th), nearly 100 comments of angry people posted all saying they will be pulling out. You have to admit, that is a HUGE increase in one year. They have a beach over there and several of the seasonal campers spend time in the spring to clean it up for the warmer months, not the campground owners. I wanted to move there a few years back but the bridge construction lured us in a different direction.

Kinnakeet

I know people that pulled out of Dennis Point due to rates. If I understand correctly, it was bought out by a company from DC that wants to upgrade it, but nothing mentioned how so.
Thats what I was told last year when we were down for a long weekend
We used to have a spot at Breezy Point campground but for some reason they moved away from seasonal.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yep and you would think they would learn not to mess with what is already working well. Business has severely dropped but that is what happens when you have stuffy investors running the show.

I think a lot of times "investors" for SoMD businesses are in DC or Bmore and don't know the area down there. I know that happened with one now-defunct restaurant - the DC shot callers thought that since *they* like to get away from the city and drive an hour for a quiet elegant dinner, everyone does. They catered to their imaginary friends and the restaurant didn't last a year.

Dennis Point is a destination and they really need to play it up as a camping resort that happens to have a restaurant (with entertainment on the back deck). THAT'S what will pull, not just the restaurant itself. We used to go there all the time with friends who were camping or just to have dinner with the gang and stay for the band. The restaurant itself was never a draw because there are other more convenient places to grab dinner.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Dennis Point is a destination and they really need to play it up as a camping resort
I've said that myself. It has incredible potential, as do many other waterfront places down here.

I wasn't aware that Salt was actually doing it, retrofitting and making it a very nice place. @TPD mentioned it, so I took a drive down there to look. It's really coming along nicely. Good example for the others.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I've said that myself. It has incredible potential, as do many other waterfront places down here.

I wasn't aware that Salt was actually doing it, retrofitting and making it a very nice place. @TPD mentioned it, so I took a drive down there to look. It's really coming along nicely. Good example for the others.
Agree - there is so much opportunity in this area. Dennis Point is a beautiful campground but to make it more attractive they could add good wifi (since cell service is awful there), a fishing pier, bands/activities, and take advantage of the restaurant there. It is just right now, they are demanding premium prices for a subpar set up at the moment.

Coles Point (it is actually no longer called the Plantation) has food delivery services inside the campground. :lol: Last year, they also had a business that was taking orders and bringing dinners to your campsite, wifi that people can actually stream from, piers, bands, activities and a small beach and costs less than Dennis Point, meaning you get more for your money.

And I don't understand why Point Lookout is taking 3 years to replace water pipes. That place better be real nice when it opens back up. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
That place better be real nice when it opens back up. :ohwell:
I really have no desire to camp there. Too close to home, like camping in the backyard. And the summer "visitors" are less than desirable. Been trying to get down to Northern Neck in VA, but keep getting sidetracked. Hoping to get the family campout this year down in NC.

Used to spend a lot of time in the NorthEast, Maine, NH, MA... I should get back there before I can no longer do that.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I really have no desire to camp there. Too close to home, like camping in the backyard. And the summer "visitors" are less than desirable. Been trying to get down to Northern Neck in VA, but keep getting sidetracked. Hoping to get the family campout this year down in NC.

Used to spend a lot of time in the NorthEast, Maine, NH, MA... I should get back there before I can no longer do that.
It sure is something you have to enjoy doing. We like to crab and fish but after a 4-5 days of that, we are ready to pack it up. :lol:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Ever been to Luckenbach, TX? It's a whole lotta nothing. Maybe 8 buildings total. But they have good bands on the weekends. People go there, walk around, shop, drink beer and be entertained. The only thing they don't have is camping. I bet if you could somehow camp there, that place would explode.

It's amazing how 1 place will thrive and another, doing almost the same thing, will suffer.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Considering the population that has overrun it...you won't want to go back.

I know what you mean and most of that was on the weekends. We typically hit the place during the week.

Frankly, I think we have worn out so many campgrounds in Maryland, Virginia, NC, SC, etc. over the last few decades that frankly giving it all up wouldn't hurt my feelings. :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know what you mean and most of that was on the weekends. We typically hit the place during the week.

Frankly, I think we have worn out so many campgrounds in Maryland, Virginia, NC, SC, etc. over the last few decades that frankly giving it all up wouldn't hurt my feelings. :lol:
We used to regularly camp at the The Cove Campground, west of Winchester VA. Beautiful place..and huge...but privately owned too.