Let's reflect and compare

awpitt

Main Streeter
So as the OP stated, both inherited similar circumstances with 180* opposite results.

:killingme I lub you awpitt but you really do live in :lalala: land.

Obama has had 0 favorable results!!

If that's what you want to believe, you're the one in :lalala: land. The economic numbers do not support your assertions.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If that's what you want to believe, you're the one in :lalala: land. The economic numbers do not support your assertions.

Then how do you explain this being by far the longest recession with weakest "recovery" since the Great Depression (and soon to exceed even that)?

I attribute it, at least in part, to Obama making things worse and keeping them that way.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Both achieved favorable results compared to what each inherited; however, neither achieved optimal results.
Lets take a look at the comparison in graphs shall we?? :shootingfishinabarrel:

Attachments

• 062712jobs.jpg
    062712jobs.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IBD-chart-for-Kyle-blog.png
    IBD-chart-for-Kyle-blog.png
    36 KB · Views: 42
  • ISS23c_121017_png.png
    ISS23c_121017_png.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 34
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 30
  • r620-2492a782278f77fcd165da4757b6e7f3.jpg
    r620-2492a782278f77fcd165da4757b6e7f3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 33

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Ummmm...... wrong my friend. See posts 23 & 24.

Quit being a damn democrat for once and look at the facts!! Here's a couple more.....

Attachments

• ReaganVsObamaRecovery.jpg
    ReaganVsObamaRecovery.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Obama-vs-Reagan-2.png
    Obama-vs-Reagan-2.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 29

awpitt

Main Streeter
Please re-read my posts and point out the one where I said Obama's recovery was better than Reagan's. The fact is, I never made that claim so I don't know why you're posting all these charts regarding a point that I never made. I did say that "Both (Reagan & Obama) achieved favorable results compared to what each (Reagan & Obama) inherited (at the start of their respective 1st terms); however, neither achieved optimal results."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Please re-read my posts and point out the one where I said Obama's recovery was better than Reagan's. The fact is, I never made that claim so I don't know why you're posting all these charts regarding a point that I never made. I did say that "Both (Reagan & Obama) achieved favorable results compared to what each (Reagan & Obama) inherited (at the start of their respective 1st terms); however, neither achieved optimal results."

I read that. I just wanted to know what "favorable results" Obama supposedly achieved. All I can see is that some of his actions impeded or set back real economic progress and I would never call that a "favorable result".

But that's just me.

:coffee:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Do you really consider that given the state our country is in that Obama has achieved favorable results? Really?? :faint:

P.S. You know we're about to have our bond rating lowered again right?

PsyOps

Pixelated
Both achieved favorable results compared to what each inherited; however, neither achieved optimal results.

I really wanted this to be about how each speech compare/contrast. But…

I’d suggest in somes ways Reagan inherited worse than Obama. So let’s compare:

Unemployment:

- Reagan inherited a 7.5% rate. Because of other economic conditions it shot up to 10.4%. By the time he finished his first term it was down to 7.3%.

- Obama inherited a 7.8% rate. Because of other economic conditions it shot up to 10%. It currently sits at 7.8%.

Median income:

- During Reagan’s first term, median income went from $17,923 to $22,080. An increase of 12%. Adjusted for inflation results in an increase from $45,260 to $46,215

- During Obama’s first term, median income went from $48,855 to $49,103. An increase of .05%. Adjusted for inflation results in a decrease from $52,195 to $50,054.

GDP Growth:

- During Reagan’s first term GDP growth got as high as 8% settling at 3.3% at the end of his first term.

- During Obama’s first term GDP growth got as high as 4% settling at 3.1%. 4th quarter not reported yet.

Deficit spending:

- Under Reagan, at the highest point in his first term, deficits were at 5.88% of GDP.

- Under Obama, at the highest point in his first term, deficits were at 10.13% of GDP. Currently they sit at 8.51%. At no time in Reagan’s tenure did it ever get that high. As a matter of fact, deficits dropped each year until it got to 3.04% in his first term.

Debt:

- Under Reagan in his first term, at its highest point, the debt was near 40% of GDP.

- Under Obama in his first term, at its highest point, the debt is at 104% of GDP.

Interest rates:

- Reagan inherited rates that were in excess of 18% and had them reduced to 13.18% at the end of his first term.

- Obama inherited rates that were right around 5%. It currently sits at 2.5%.

Gas prices:

- Reagan inherited $2.64/gallon gas. At the end of his first term it was at $1.95

- Obama inherited $2.14/gallon gas. Current average gas prices sit at $3.30.

Growth in GDP is relatively similar. However, deficits and debt as compared to the GDP is starkly different, with Reagan gleaning far better results.

Unemployment was similar with Reagan having slightly better results. However, it needs to ne mentioned here that Obama has created a situation that Reagan didn't have to worry about, and that is unemployment is not actually improving. This requires a manipulation of the numbers to create the illusion things are improving. Actual unemployment is around 14% and the unemployment numbers do NOT account for people that have stopped looking for a job (drop out of collecting unemployment insurance) and started collecting social security disability.

Median income is a huge difference between the two.

Gas prices, causing every level of our economy to suffer, under Obama are far worse.

We haven’t even fully factored in the effects of Obamacare; one of the biggest power-grabs by the government since the New Deal. The next 4 years will tell us how this plays out since most of it doesn’t kick in until 2014. We can readdress this in 4 years and compare.

But in light of speeches, Reagan was a uniter. He spoke about US, WE, our greatness. Obama doesn’t speak in these terms. He speaks about HIM, government, and how we’re divided. We have Reagan’s second inaugural speech. Let’s compare that to Obama’s today.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Obama has had 0 favorable results!!

I think it depends on how you view ‘favorable results’. In a lot of peoples’ minds, Obamacare was one of the greatest accomplishments that has come our government. Clinton spent almost his entire presidency trying to implement a universal healthcare program. I think we can all agree this is a huge achievement. As to whether it’s a good thing, this is where conservatives and liberals part ways. And it seems liberals perfectly okay with it having a negative impact on the economy, as long as they feel the government has done something to fix the healthcare ‘crisis’.

Most liberals are perfectly okay with our government throwing massive debt on our future generations with stimulus programs to solve our current economic problems. And as we can see it didn’t result in fixing anything; it only massed debt guaranteed to be passed on to our future generations. But liberals are okay with this. This, in their minds, is an accomplishment. And they justify it with “things would have been far worse without it”; not having one shred of proof of this.

They just view success differently that people like you and me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Reagan was a humble man, the Won clearly is no such thing.

Reagan was an actor a politician. Humble is not in the job description. What Reagan was was confident. Confident in the American people, confident in the ideas of America, confident in the future and very much confident in his own powers of leadership and understanding of the greatness of America.

He was confident because he KNEW. He knew himself, he knew the people and he knew life because he lived it. He did stuff. He had real, deep and meaningful experience.

This is why Obama seems so flighty and why no one really seems to know what he is and is not for. He may know himself but, his knowledge of America and the American people is limited because he has little of the life experiences it takes to know the people, to know America. He is a limited man and limited men in over their heads lack confidence and clarity.

And this is why he replaces arrogance for confidence. It's all he has.

daileyck1

"He was confident because he KNEW. He knew himself, he knew the people and he knew life because he lived it. He did stuff. He had real, deep and meaningful experience."

Up until he got got Alzheimer's disease in his last term

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"He was confident because he KNEW. He knew himself, he knew the people and he knew life because he lived it. He did stuff. He had real, deep and meaningful experience."

Physicians diagnosed Reagan with Alzheimer's approximately five years after he left office but the date of the onset will likely be pondered by political historians and medical experts for years to come.

OK. Which one are you? :coffee:

PsyOps

Pixelated

It's not been dertermined at all that Alzheimer's affect him in his last term. But if it did, what does this have to do with the discussion at all? Ronald Reagan was still Ronald Reagan. Not even his death takes that away from him.

You liberals are pathetic in your vile attempts to disclaim anyone you deem the enemy by using the lowest form of attack you can dredge up from your sewer of hatred. Nothing is off limits to you people.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What Reagan was was confident. Confident in the American people, confident in the ideas of America, confident in the future and very much confident in his own powers of leadership and understanding of the greatness of America.

every politican since Ron has been Me, Me, ME ......... not what can WE Do Together ....... I, I, I, I, I, I ......... am going to do for you :popcorn:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
every politican since Ron has been Me, Me, ME ......... not what can WE Do Together ....... I, I, I, I, I, I ......... am going to do for you :popcorn:

Not true. Clinton, for all his self centered personal behavior, was very good at comrpomise when it came to governing. Sadly, so was Bush 41.