Letter: Who's Hurting The Students

glitch

Devil's Advocate
No. I do get paid for my performance. It is called my SALARY! What I am saying is that... like MOST of the working people.... I am not getting paid for the extra work that is demanded of me in order to keep my job!

WOW! Sounds like you have some disadvantages and obstacles at your work. WELCOME to what everyone else has! And still.... we get evaluated for our performance. Only this evaluation is not for raises right now. It is to keep our JOBS!

Listen... we ALL deserve a raise for the extra work we do. The only difference is that if most of us pulled this PR campaign that the teachers did... we would be looking for another job!

You'd be fired for doing what you were hired to do? I don't know that I'd continue working at a place where that was the status quo.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You'd be fired for doing what you were hired to do? I don't know that I'd continue working at a place where that was the status quo.

Welcome to competition. There are tech companies that let go a percent of the workforce every year based on how they rank performance wise.
It's not a matter of being good, it's a matter of being in the top 80% for say entry level, bottom 50% for mid grade and bottom 80% for senior grade employees.
It's called thinning the herd. It allows the company to recruit and promote the best talent. Beyond just talent, they want motivated employees, people who seek a challenge, that are proactive.
Those are the people who get promoted, who are compensated. Merely competent employees are not rewarded the same.

Just because your PD is the same doesn't mean your boss looks at you like equals. Your performance is not only judged against your peers, but against your supervisors expectations.
No matter how valuable you think you may be, we are all replaceable. I was given an illustration of just how much I would be missed, "put your foot in a bucket of water, the hole that's left when you pull it out is how much you will be missed".

But you are also correct, if you don't like the conditions, the compensation, you are free to move on.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
Welcome to competition. There are tech companies that let go a percent of the workforce every year based on how they rank performance wise.
It's not a matter of being good, it's a matter of being in the top 80% for say entry level, bottom 50% for mid grade and bottom 80% for senior grade employees.
It's called thinning the herd. It allows the company to recruit and promote the best talent. Beyond just talent, they want motivated employees, people who seek a challenge, that are proactive.
Those are the people who get promoted, who are compensated. Merely competent employees are not rewarded the same.

Just because your PD is the same doesn't mean your boss looks at you like equals. Your performance is not only judged against your peers, but against your supervisors expectations.
No matter how valuable you think you may be, we are all replaceable. I was given an illustration of just how much I would be missed, "put your foot in a bucket of water, the hole that's left when you pull it out is how much you will be missed".

But you are also correct, if you don't like the conditions, the compensation, you are free to move on.

Or you could do something about it.

SG_Player1974

Or you could do something about it.

Yep! I could go to the media and complain. I could also threaten my employer and their customers with the fact that I am no longer going to do the jobs of those 2nd and 3rd persons.

I wonder where that would get me? :sarcasm:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I realize these days most people aren't likely to do anything to get fired because jobs are somewhat scarce, and we are, more or less, at the mercy of the organization or corporation; however, on principle, what's wrong with trying to improve your job environment and/or pay? Why should anyone remain hush hush about an organization or corporation that didn't live up to it's deal? Why do people begrudge the SMCPS teachers for standing up in the small (and it is small) way that they did?

glitch

Devil's Advocate
I realize these days most people aren't likely to do anything to get fired because jobs are somewhat scarce, and we are, more or less, at the mercy of the organization or corporation; however, on principle, what's wrong with trying to improve your job environment and/or pay? Why should anyone remain hush hush about an organization or corporation that didn't live up to it's deal? Why do people begrudge the SMCPS teachers for standing up in the small (and it is small) way that they did?

Because they're not willing to do the same for themselves so they have to find fault.

SG_Player1974

Why do people begrudge the SMCPS teachers for standing up in the small (and it is small) way that they did?

SMALL???

Making it public in every available local media outlet is SMALL?

Small would have been going to their representatives and seeing if they could seek another CBA or other means to get their deserved pay.

glitch said:
Because they're not willing to do the same for themselves so they have to find fault.

So... you are one of those "Why does everyone have to put blame on someone" type of people huh?

What you do not realize is that no one here is really "blaming" anyone. People are just wondering why the teachers are making such a media stink about this and then threatening to change their teaching practices. To me it seems that they didn't read the fine print on the whole "raise" deal. Also, the CCs and School board took advantage of a loophole and shame on them!

PeoplesElbow

This is going to come off as harsh and I am sure I will hear a lot about it but here it goes.

I have never heard a teacher not bitching about how much they make, from when I was a kid in their classroom until now. What other profession can bitch to their intended audience (the kids) about how much they make? It is a broken record over and over and frankly people are tired of hearing it, yet there seems to be an endless supply of education majors. Questionable colleges (one I know of we referred to as Harvard on the Hill) churn out teachers at alarming rates. I knew quite a few kids that I went to high school with whose parents sent them to that school because it was cheap and teachers were their primary product by far.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
SMALL???

Making it public in every available local media outlet is SMALL?

Small would have been going to their representatives and seeing if they could seek another CBA or other means to get their deserved pay.

So... you are one of those "Why does everyone have to put blame on someone" type of people huh?

What you do not realize is that no one here is really "blaming" anyone. People are just wondering why the teachers are making such a media stink about this and then threatening to change their teaching practices. To me it seems that they didn't read the fine print on the whole "raise" deal. Also, the CCs and School board took advantage of a loophole and shame on them!

Teachers want the public to know what's actually going on. Education is one of those things that people just expect to happen. They don't think about it on a day to day basis. But they really need to start thinking about it.

Kind of like having water. It's all well and good until you don't have what you've always had. Know what I mean?

Teachers are sick of providing services for free and want the public to know about it. As a taxpayer, I want to know things like that and I'm glad that they did it in such a way so that everyone except the people who choose to remain ignorant are now aware of what has been going on for years.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
This is going to come off as harsh and I am sure I will hear a lot about it but here it goes.

I have never heard a teacher not bitching about how much they make, from when I was a kid in their classroom until now. What other profession can bitch to their intended audience (the kids) about how much they make? It is a broken record over and over and frankly people are tired of hearing it, yet there seems to be an endless supply of education majors. Questionable colleges (one I know of we referred to as Harvard on the Hill) churn out teachers at alarming rates. I knew quite a few kids that I went to high school with whose parents sent them to that school because it was cheap and teachers were their primary product by far.

In response to your first point, there are bad apples in every bunch. Doesn't mean every teacher acts that way.

In response to your second point, there will always be businesses that manufacture inferior products. Whether those products are crappy flashlights or crappy teachers, are you willing to use the crappy ones just because they're cheap? I think the public needs to be less concerned about the number of teachers available and more concerned about whether or not the ones they have are a quality product. You get what you pay for. If this trend in salaries continues, the schools will be left with the dregs. The people who are willing to work any job just to make a paycheck. Do you want those people teaching your kids? Would you want that type of person performing surgery on you? Because I certainly don't. I want the people that WANT to do what they're doing. The people that wouldn't want to do anything else. So I'm willing to pay for a quality product. Are you?

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

In response to your first point, there are bad apples in every bunch. Doesn't mean every teacher acts that way.

In response to your second point, there will always be businesses that manufacture inferior products. Whether those products are crappy flashlights or crappy teachers, are you willing to use the crappy ones just because they're cheap? I think the public needs to be less concerned about the number of teachers available and more concerned about whether or not the ones they have are a quality product. You get what you pay for. If this trend in salaries continues, the schools will be left with the dregs. The people who are willing to work any job just to make a paycheck. Do you want those people teaching your kids? Would you want that type of person performing surgery on you? Because I certainly don't. I want the people that WANT to do what they're doing. The people that wouldn't want to do anything else. So I'm willing to pay for a quality product. Are you?

The ones I remember bitching to the students were actually some of the better teachers I had. It was however extremely unprofessional, the ####ty ones were very content with their job because there was no where else they could make that much, have that many benefits and do so little.

When we can't agree what constitutes a "good" teacher it makes it very difficult. I would imagine a lot of what drives the talented people away is the BS they have to deal with. My friends wife is a teacher at a county highschool, he says she has been called every name in the book pretty much every year and the principal simply sends the kids right back to her class after calling her a fat whore, f'ing #### etc.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm not sure I understand how the union mismanaged the money. The school board, yes; the union, no. Maybe someone can enlighten me. :confused:

Just because NAVAIR contractors are suffering cut backs does that mean everyone has to, especially if it was promised in what, more or less, amounts to a legally-binding contract? This isn't a case of a contract that had contingencies written in to begin with being taken over by another company such as what happens at NAVAIR. Your way of thinking renders all contracts meaningless.

I'm pretty sure grading homework after school hours and after-school activities are considered extraordinary.
President has already set the precedent that contracts are meaningless.. as are the contracts laws..

Now it's only who choose to ignore the "laws" with no repercussions and who abides by the toothless laws that everyone else is ignoring.

hometowngirl

The Board of Education DOES NOT create the budget...the superintendent does. Super drafts the budget=BOE approves the budget=BOCC funds the budget.

The BOE doesn't need to give teachers increases. The BOE needs to hire a BRAND NEW super, someone that isn't already embedded in the system, to look at the school system and get rid of ridiculous programs and DIRECTORS AND SUPERVISORS that are sucking up money and give these teachers what they are CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED. Funny how the interim Super was just given a $20,000 stipend along with his current salary and ALREADY ACCURED LEAVE? He has classroom time, how about he use some of that accrued leave to sub in some class rooms..

Plus forget about the fact that they are spending too much money on investigating a "leak" of personnel information...smh

Its probably good that the BOE pres is leaving, because its time.. Its time for fresh ideas and honesty. Lets hope that one of these two people running for BOE will not be afraid to clean out the public school system and hire a decent superintendent.

hometowngirl

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's legal and we all know that what is legal isn't always right.

Now, the teachers are asking the tax payers to give them more money when the majority of the taxpayers in this county have not been given a raise in years, have had their benefits reduced and are in the same economical shape the teachers are; the kicker of this is that this is all caused by the very politicians that the majority of the teachers help elect.

Now, we all know that Dr. Martirano and SMCPS BOE screwed the pooch on the budget and short changed the teacher, but since when did the burden of correcting this fall on the taxpayer? If the teachers want their raise, go after Dr. M and the BOE, stay out of my wallet, the government has been in it enough that I swear they have set up house in there.

Incorrect. The teachers are only asking for what is stated in their contracts. They are not asking you or me for more money. Don't let these candidates tell you they are.

Although, I do agree that the Super and BOE screwed the pooch, lol.

Yes, I'm back.

Hi

KandJ

Only one of my kids is not bringing homework home and I get the feeling her teacher would use any excuse to get out of extra work. 'Work Hard and Play Nice' doesn't apply to all apparently.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Incorrect. The teachers are only asking for what is stated in their contracts. They are not asking you or me for more money. Don't let these candidates tell you they are.

Although, I do agree that the Super and BOE screwed the pooch, lol.

Yes, I'm back.

Hi

Um, where do you think the money is going to come from to pay those teachers the extra they want, where do you think the city/state/federal government gets their money from, unicorns who fart rainbows?

itsrequired

Um, where do you think the money is going to come from to pay those teachers the extra they want, where do you think the city/state/federal government gets their money from, unicorns who fart rainbows?

Hmmm....Maybe St. Mary's County's 25 million dollar surplus?