Lexington Park/California apartment suggestions

Sula

WDF. So worth the wait.
I am not sure how true this is...but I was told that many of the people that were problems in Hickory Hills were some of the families that were relocated from the "flat tops", and that they government had paid for their rent minus what they were paying before the relocation .....but now the time period for the funds have expired and they could not afford to continue to love in HH so they moved out.

But on the other hand I was also told there were a lot of section 8s.
I have been told this about River Bay as well.

Sula

WDF. So worth the wait.
Ahhh so now where do all these families go???
Who knows. I would love to hear if someone actually knows that facts. I was told that the length of time for the subsidized rents is based on how long they lived in the flat tops. I know there has been a lot of people moving out of River Bay and a lot of new professional people moving in. The new management also raised the rents considerably. They are nice townhomes and in a great location if you work on base.

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Hello everyone, I just took a job at Webster Field, so I'm going to be moving down there (from Northern VA) towards the middle of September. I would like to live as close to Webster Field as possible, but I was looking around and couldn't really find apartment or townhouse complexes around there. I only need 1 or 2 bedrooms, and ideally I would like to spend only $1,000-1,200 but can go higher if needed. I've done research via these forums and apartment ratings and narrowed by choices down to Abberly Crest and Wildewood, and even Hickory Hills. I looked at the classifieds and saw some places available at Wildewood and also Abberly Crest has apartments available. Does anyone have experience with these complexes, any information would be appreciated. Obviously, I'm going to have to go down there soon to see for myself, but I was just hoping to get a heads up on what to look for, some information about the area, etc. Thanks in advance.

Abberly Crest is BRAND NEW apartment complexes. Every time I drive by, it looks very nice. Wildewood is very nice as well if you want to live closer to shopping centers to have a quick run down to the stores to pick up a few things you need. Abberly Crest is closer to Webster Field, and it is about 10 minutes drive to the shopping centers in California, MD for Wal-Mart, Target, Lowes, Giant, etc.

nightlife

St. Mary's is way too expensive considering there is not much to do around here and it is boring as hell, no mall, no nice nightclubs or restaurants, it is waaayyy overpriced here.

T

toppick08

St. Mary's is way too expensive considering there is not much to do around here and it is boring as hell, no mall, no nice nightclubs or restaurants, it is waaayyy overpriced here.

:killingme
you must be joking.....

Last edited by a moderator:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I recommend Spyglass, if they have something available. That would keep you south of the base, less traffic to deal with during rush hour.

AiryT

My nephew lived in Abberly Crest until he brought a house. I visited him several times and it seemed to be a really nice quite neighborhood. He had a two bedroom apartment and it was really nice. I just can't get use to the price you pay to rent a nice apartment these day.

AiryT

Oh, I forgot to tell you, you'd make a left coming out of the development (Abberly Crest) onto Willows Rd, head towards Rte 5 (1 - 1 1/2 miles), make a left onto Rte 5 and stay on it until you get to Villa Rd, make a right and you go 1-2 miles then you're at Webster Field (No traffic lights).

DuffMan

There is more "activity" in Hickory. I think there is more section 8 housing there.

If given the choice I would go to Wildewood. Most crime occues between

237-235-246 It's like the Bermuda Triangle of crime.:lmao:

I live Hickory Hills and have not seen anything happen. It's actually pretty quite! I lived in Wildwood as well, its quite as well but if you live in the condos or apartments and have a middle or bottom level, you will hear everything that is going on above you. The good thing about Hickory Hills is that they are townhomes and no one above you.

What is 237-235-246?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I live Hickory Hills and have not seen anything happen. It's actually pretty quite! I lived in Wildwood as well, its quite as well but if you live in the condos or apartments and have a middle or bottom level, you will hear everything that is going on above you. The good thing about Hickory Hills is that they are townhomes and no one above you.

What is 237-235-246?

QUIET

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Oh, I forgot to tell you, you'd make a left coming out of the development (Abberly Crest) onto Willows Rd, head towards Rte 5 (1 - 1 1/2 miles), make a left onto Rte 5 and stay on it until you get to Villa Rd, make a right and you go 1-2 miles then you're at Webster Field (No traffic lights).

Abberly Crest seems like a good option, but I'm not sure about that left hand turn into morning traffic on 5. I know it can be a PITA to make a left off of Hermanville onto 5 at that time. Coming home would be a breeze, though.

Those look like nice apartments, but I don't know anyone who lives there.

B

Beth_kennedy

Not really, this is a great area. I am glad there are no nightclubs around here. Does not take much to get in a car and drive to VA ro DC for that.

There is a lot more here than meets the eye.

Trev

Thanks again everyone for your input and suggestions. I'm planning on going down there this weekend to hopefully get a place. I'll certainly check out Spyglass, I looked at their website and it looks nice and there appears to be apartments available.

My only concern about the area is school. I plan on getting a master's in electrical engineering, but the only universities closest to the area is UMD and GMU, both being 2 hours away. I saw some satellite campuses around that may work.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Thanks again everyone for your input and suggestions. I'm planning on going down there this weekend to hopefully get a place. I'll certainly check out Spyglass, I looked at their website and it looks nice and there appears to be apartments available.

My only concern about the area is school. I plan on getting a master's in electrical engineering, but the only universities closest to the area is UMD and GMU, both being 2 hours away. I saw some satellite campuses around that may work.

Southern Maryland Higher Education Center has masters programs in engineering, I believe. Check that out. It's very close to Wildewood.

4d2008

Tell them I refered you maybe Ill get a discount or something lol.

Livin_in_SoMd

I used to live in Abberly Crest and absolutely loved it. The development staff were awesome, the apartments were nice, and it was a peaceful area (quiet and safe).