Live Music in SOMD???

Iron Bill Cash

a long way from home....
funkabilly! said:
Where is all the good live music in SOMD??
I'm wondering what it would take to create a live Rock & Rolll venue in SOMD.
Any thoughts???
:dude:
It sounds like it is stilll very difficult for a musician in SoMd. I remember back in the day when we had a lot of choices as to where to play, and we listened to bands like Grand Slam, Genuine Virginia Band, Rampage, Tempered Steel, and DC Star. We would play at venues like Little Billys, Club Tropics, Pats Bar,Pennies, MOuse Trap, County Tavern/Blarney Rock/many other names....

It just always seemed like local bands were always discouraged by either local establishments in the quest for zero liability or of their attempt to make SoMd a clean family place.

Its too bad. I have met and worked with some very talented musicians who in St. Mary's whom I still think about (Gary Pavey!!!) and whom still influence me today, 2000 miles away.

Shine on You Crazy Diamonds

greyhound

Iron Bill Cash said:
It sounds like it is stilll very difficult for a musician in SoMd. I remember back in the day when we had a lot of choices as to where to play, and we listened to bands like Grand Slam, Genuine Virginia Band, Rampage, Tempered Steel, and DC Star. We would play at venues like Little Billys, Club Tropics, Pats Bar,Pennies, MOuse Trap, County Tavern/Blarney Rock/many other names....

It just always seemed like local bands were always discouraged by either local establishments in the quest for zero liability or of their attempt to make SoMd a clean family place.

Its too bad. I have met and worked with some very talented musicians who in St. Mary's whom I still think about (Gary Pavey!!!) and whom still influence me today, 2000 miles away.

Shine on You Crazy Diamonds

DC Star always played at the Benedict Pier in the 80's. I saw them open for Journey at the Cap Center. Brian Adams was the opening act but he had the flu.

Iron Bill Cash

a long way from home....
greyhound said:
DC Star always played at the Benedict Pier in the 80's. I saw them open for Journey at the Cap Center. Brian Adams was the opening act but he had the flu.
Wow....I used to love that band. I was asked to sing for them when Kenny was getting ready to leave. I remember Dave Simmons being a great guitar player as well.

That takes me back.

greyhound

Iron Bill Cash said:
Wow....I used to love that band. I was asked to sing for them when Kenny was getting ready to leave. I remember Dave Simmons being a great guitar player as well.

That takes me back.

Remember The Road Ducks?

Iron Bill Cash

a long way from home....
greyhound said:
Remember The Road Ducks?
Holy SH&*&(....I havent heard that name in, well, forever. I just remembered the Roadside Petz as well.

I remember seeing The Road Ducks at The Blarney Rock, or was the same place but another name? :)

greyhound

Iron Bill Cash said:
Holy SH&*&(....I havent heard that name in, well, forever. I just remembered the Roadside Petz as well.

I remember seeing The Road Ducks at The Blarney Rock, or was the same place but another name? :)

Someone from the Road Ducks went on to play with Molly Hatchet (I think).

Iron Bill Cash

a long way from home....
I do remember that David Bell, who was with Grand Slam, went on to The Ravyns who did that song "Raised on the Radio" for the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" soundtrack.

greyhound

Iron Bill Cash said:
I do remember that David Bell, who was with Grand Slam, went on to The Ravyns who did that song "Raised on the Radio" for the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" soundtrack.

Oh yes...I remember

I just thought of another....The Atom Smasher Band (the dj from dc101)

greyhound

Mikeinsmd said:
Dixie Road Ducks, Catfish Hodge, Kix, Great Train Robbery.... Club Sunrise in Charlotte Hall :yay:

My parents were friends with the owners of Sunrise and we would go over on Sunday mornings and I would collect all the guitar picks off the stage. I guess i thought they would be worth something.....

Iron Bill Cash

a long way from home....
Mikeinsmd said:
Dixie Road Ducks, Catfish Hodge, Kix, Great Train Robbery.... Club Sunrise in Charlotte Hall :yay:
KIX.......
They always kicked butt. I remember seeing them at the amphitheater behind Great Mills

Iron Bill Cash

a long way from home....
greyhound said:
My parents were friends with the owners of Sunrise and we would go over on Sunday mornings and I would collect all the guitar picks off the stage. I guess i thought they would be worth something.....
I still have a pick, given to me by Gary Pavey from Grand Slam. It has a lot of value to me. :)