local building supply stores

lovinmaryland

i need to get some lumber (and other supplies) for a deck i am putting on to my house and was hoping some one could suggest a good local lumber co.

(i am not interested in helping lowes or home depot to anymore of my $)

how about 84 lumber or mitchells... any other places. who has the best service and prices.

thanks

jonjon

i do home improvement work in so. md i use Mitchels all the time, at least the one in laplata anyways they have free delivlery and all the lumber i have gotten from them has been of a high grade. if you go to home depot or lowes and get a price quote from them and then take it to mitchels they will beat it more often than not. if they dont beat it they will definitly come real close to it and add in delivery that the other two charge you come out ahead. if you need any luck jsut send me a message

ServiceGuy

I purchased framing lumber last year from Michells (Hughesville) they gave me the best price over the phone (the guy I talked to even told me since you are buying all of this I will give you a good price) but 2 wks later when I got there they wouldn’t honor the phone price, However they did still give me a better price than anyone else did. And the guy loading the lumber gave me 2X12 instead of 2X10 (what I paid for) even after I told him twice that they were 12s and not 10s so I guess I made out kind of even. Used Trex from I hate to say it Home Depot and I also I brackets from Dunkirk Supply to screw the deck boards on from underneath (NO screw/nail heads popping up next year) they are kind of pricey how I feel they are well worth the expense seeing all the other money I have spent on the deck so far.

I have used 84 in Mechanicsville, Lowes in California, Lowes in Waldorf and Home Depot in Waldorf.

84 Lumber hands down the winner. Prices may be a little higher than Lowes or Home Depot, but the quality is much, much better and well worth the money.

lovinmaryland

jonjon said:
i do home improvement work in so. md i use Mitchels all the time, at least the one in laplata anyways they have free delivlery and all the lumber i have gotten from them has been of a high grade. if you go to home depot or lowes and get a price quote from them and then take it to mitchels they will beat it more often than not. if they dont beat it they will definitly come real close to it and add in delivery that the other two charge you come out ahead. if you need any luck jsut send me a message

hey free delivery thats pretty good and i guess worth the little bit extra they may charge. should i ask for anyone in specific?

lowes and home depot are so busy and really don't take the time to help you figure out what would be the best thing for you. so i figured if i was going to be giving my money to anyone it might as well be for a local buisness.

thanks for all the help :huggy:

ServiceGuy

I do not think that I have ever been to 84 Lumber and walked out with what I went in there looking for in the first place. I only go there as a LAST resort.

ServiceGuy

lovinmaryland said:
hey free delivery thats pretty good and i guess worth the little bit extra they may charge. should i ask for anyone in specific?

lowes and home depot are so busy and really don't take the time to help you figure out what would be the best thing for you. so i figured if i was going to be giving my money to anyone it might as well be for a local buisness.

thanks for all the help :huggy:

I did buy a few things (4 items) from Deans and they did deliver them for free, but that was last year not sure if delievery is still free.

ServiceGuy said:
I do not think that I have ever been to 84 Lumber and walked out with what I went in there looking for in the first place. I only go there as a LAST resort.
84 always has the lumber I need. Another bonus to them is they carry extra long lengths (20' and I think 24'). Longer boards means fewer joints, means stronger structure.

lovinmaryland

ok great now i have a real problem...i am getting a new airconditoner (2ton trane system) come to find out the old system leaked and rotted out a 3 ft x 5 ft area of the floor. :tap:

i had a claims adjuster come out to see it this morning... and of course it is not covered under my h/o :burning:

does any one have any clue how much it would cost to have some one come out and repair that area? can't get the new airconditioner until that is done.

the adjuter said it is the sub floor and the vinyl... hopefully nothing else.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
lovinmaryland said:
ok great now i have a real problem...i am getting a new airconditoner (2ton trane system) come to find out the old system leaked and rotted out a 3 ft x 5 ft area of the floor. :tap:

i had a claims adjuster come out to see it this morning... and of course it is not covered under my h/o :burning:

does any one have any clue how much it would cost to have some one come out and repair that area? can't get the new airconditioner until that is done.

the adjuter said it is the sub floor and the vinyl... hopefully nothing else.

PM DoWhat. He does stuff like that.