Local Fauna

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Damn racoon about gave me cardiac arrest. I was standing on my open side porch and he came skittering by like a flash. I've got a family living under my shed that I plan to live trap and relocate. After my run in with a rabid one a couple years ago, they aren't welcome here.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Saw an opossum dead in the road this morning. Knowing it’s ‘baby season’, I stopped to see if there were any babies still alive. Momma was indeed dead. Immediately saw 3 babies….no sign of life. Suddenly I noticed movement that almost appeared like momma was breathing. I had put on gloves so I turned the momma on her side and saw at least 2 babies moving inside her pouch.
A lady from my neighborhood was driving by and saw me in the middle of the road and what I was doing. She pulled over and ran over to me with a plastic bin. I scooped up dead momma and all babies and covered them with a towel.
Vets will not take them, no rescues answered or called me back immediately. I was frantic trying to figure out what to do. Called a friend that had told me they had bottle raised some critter before, if nothing else, at least for some support or ideas. They said they would take them.
Got to his place and he pulled out six live babies. They were good size babies, all close to 8 inches long nose to tail and eyes open and good fur on them.
His GF ended up transporting them to a wildlife place in Gaithersburg.
It was an exciting morning for sure.

Last edited:

NextJen

Raisin cane
Here they are!
7EC9A100-C951-4C87-816B-D5F4659A11FB.jpeg

DogWhisperer

My dog doesn't like anything in the yard and has chased woodchucks, caught squirrels, pinned down two opossum, caught a bird midair in the garage, and stalks the deer. He's a little territorial and a great guard dog.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Word from the rescue place is that all 6 seem very healthy and have an excellent chance of survival. One had a little issue with one of it’s feet, but they are going to fix it up.

NOTSMC

Baby Ring Tail Hawks. Not sure if I see 2 or 3. They nest here every year.

View attachment 170666
Did you ever see the hawks that hung out on the phone wires right before the Park Hall Road turn? For a while there they were hanging out every day around fourish. It was kind of fascinating, I would see them and mention them to my boyfriend, who knew exactly what I was talking about; then he'd mention to his daughter, who knew exactly what he was talking about and so on and so forth. I love it down this neck of the woods.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Most of what my cameras catch is rabbits, birds and neighborhood cats.
I don't like seeing outdoor cats killing wildlife and that's why I moved TexMex indoors after he killed a squirrel 😥 . The rest of the ferals I trapped and fixed? As many as possible were converted to house cats and adopted by people who supported keeping cats indoors.

ontheriver

There is a fox who lives in my neighborhood. It has been here since October. Beautiful little creature. Comes into my yard multiple times every night. I've seen it at dusk several times in the next door neighbors yard. Just looks at me and blinks.

Kinnakeet

I was deer hunting a few years ago (sitting against a tree) and I had a fox run across my lower legs and not even notice me.
I have had many critters land on me or right next to me while in my deer stand,Birds,Owls,squirrels and snakes The best one was a baby Owl flew more like fell down right on my head and somehow ended upright on a branch next to me and I could not help but say who,who like the owls in that Geico commercial

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Yesterday saw a small adult Chuck and a cottontail that was almost as big in the backyard.
The biggest red fox and Chonk the cat came by the cat café early this morning.