Local Political Debates

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Any going on before the primaries?

I'd like to know something about the gals running for judge.

Yes, I see the signs to re-elect one in particular and cannot help but think she is the reason the police catch, guilt is proven, but she releases. I would like confirmation so can gamble on someone new.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Don't the local cable TV companies have a "local" channel that broadcasts debates, if there are any? Otherwise you might want to contact the party and ask them if there will be any.

For some reason the GOP facebook page won't load

Clem72

Can someone explain to me why I always see election signs for judges in lets be polite and say economically depressed neighborhoods? Does the judge let you off the hook if you have a high visibility property and are willing to put up a sign?

Grumpy

Can someone explain to me why I always see election signs for judges in lets be polite and say economically depressed neighborhoods? Does the judge let you off the hook if you have a high visibility property and are willing to put up a sign?
Dontchaknow that those neighborhoods typically have a 300% turnout?

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

smc_local

Any going on before the primaries?

I'd like to know something about the gals running for judge.
There is a candidate forum (debate) on April 11 at the Lex Park library. It’s important to hear both sides! Our current judge was appointed by Hogan over her opponent. It’s important to know they both “applied” for the job, and Judge Lorenzini was chosen because she is more qualified.

smc_local

Yes, I see the signs to re-elect one in particular and cannot help but think she is the reason the police catch, guilt is proven, but she releases. I would like confirmation so can gamble on someone new.
Keep in mind she has been our judge only since 2022. She is making good progress and is firm! Please don’t gamble on a 15 yr term. Learn more about both before making your decision. ☺️

my-thyme

Patron
A meet and greet, not a debate. Well, might be worth going to.

Sponsored by the League of Women Voters. I already see the bias.

Reactions: TPD
There is a candidate forum (debate) on April 11 at the Lex Park library. It’s important to hear both sides! Our current judge was appointed by Hogan over her opponent. It’s important to know they both “applied” for the job, and Judge Lorenzini was chosen because she is more qualified.
Iit will be of importance to determine if repeat offenders are being released to our community under her watch. Statics indicate the rampant crime we are experiencing is tied to known criminals who have no reason to fear consequences.

TPD

the poor dad
I don't know anything about Amy Lorenzini other than what I just read on her website. What I took note of is it doesn't appear she is native to St. Mary's, not that there's anything wrong with that. The other thing I see is she started out working as a government employee in what I assume is the good ole' boy network, 1st as a law clerk for Kaminetz, and then in the St. Mary's County State's attorney's office, which I assume she would have worked under Richard Fritz, but I have nothing to back that up, just assumption, based on her timeline. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that either. What really gives me pause is her 1st appointment and then endorsement by the esteemed Larry Hogan.

As a kid, I grew up with Sue Ann. Her mother and my mother were best friends. She grew up in Ridge, but wasn't a "Ridge Runner". I believe she has had her own practice in Lexington Park since coming out of law school - 30+ years. I have never used her services, but have had "informal" talks with her over the years on legal advice. Between her and her secretary of many years, the 2 of them gave countless hours and $ to St. Michael's school over the years to keep it a viable part of the community. As a person, Sue Ann is sincere. As a lawyer, I always heard you wanted her on your side in a divorce battle. Luckily I've never had to see that firsthand.

I really don't know how either woman will be as a judge in the circuit court. I guess you would have to delve into their past case history to see how they argued them and whether they won or lost. What I do know is that a small business owner usually has much more experience in life in general with a bit more common sense (me excluded of course). And so 99% of the time, I'm voting for the small business owner who is running for elected office. That person has usually seen something that has aggravated them enough that they feel they can make a change as an elected official.

Just my 2¢

my-thyme

Patron
I just went to Sue Ann's website. Sounds like this is something she wants. I knew she did a lot for the community, I wasn't sure she wanted to quit that. But as judge, I suppose she could do even more.

And I agree with the non govt work TPD mentioned. I think business people moving into govt/politics is a desirable thing.

Hijinx

I don't know anything about Amy Lorenzini other than what I just read on her website. What I took note of is it doesn't appear she is native to St. Mary's, not that there's anything wrong with that. The other thing I see is she started out working as a government employee in what I assume is the good ole' boy network, 1st as a law clerk for Kaminetz, and then in the St. Mary's County State's attorney's office, which I assume she would have worked under Richard Fritz, but I have nothing to back that up, just assumption, based on her timeline. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that either. What really gives me pause is her 1st appointment and then endorsement by the esteemed Larry Hogan.

As a kid, I grew up with Sue Ann. Her mother and my mother were best friends. She grew up in Ridge, but wasn't a "Ridge Runner". I believe she has had her own practice in Lexington Park since coming out of law school - 30+ years. I have never used her services, but have had "informal" talks with her over the years on legal advice. Between her and her secretary of many years, the 2 of them gave countless hours and $ to St. Michael's school over the years to keep it a viable part of the community. As a person, Sue Ann is sincere. As a lawyer, I always heard you wanted her on your side in a divorce battle. Luckily I've never had to see that firsthand.

I really don't know how either woman will be as a judge in the circuit court. I guess you would have to delve into their past case history to see how they argued them and whether they won or lost. What I do know is that a small business owner usually has much more experience in life in general with a bit more common sense (me excluded of course). And so 99% of the time, I'm voting for the small business owner who is running for elected office. That person has usually seen something that has aggravated them enough that they feel they can make a change as an elected official.

Just my 2¢
My thoughts about Larry Hogan thinking Lorenzini was more qualified kind of put me off a little.
Has he endorsed her? Maybe she did not seek his endorsement.? Maybe that was a smart move?