Lockheed Martin anticipates job reductions @PAXRVR

Goldenhawk

"could cut", "up to", "offering a voluntary separation", "the company does not have a goal for its Patuxent River cuts, but about 100 people are eligible."

Sounds like a very soft reduction, not a drastic slash.

bilbur

Ah the unfortunate reality of working for a DoD contractor. I have no hard data but if I had to guess there are a large percentage of people working for contractors that have experienced a layoff at least once in their career. I have and it turned out to be a good thing. I found a better job with better pay.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's only anecdotal, but several people I know who work for contractors were recently notified that their jobs were being eliminated. One in particular was renting a house next door to me and had just settled the purchase of his own home only a few months ago...

Ah the unfortunate reality of working for a DoD contractor. I have no hard data but if I had to guess there are a large percentage of people working for contractors that have experienced a layoff at least once in their career. I have and it turned out to be a good thing. I found a better job with better pay.

Can't tell you how many times over the course of my career with an aerospace company that the threat of job loss loomed over our heads. We were always being told the worst, your job is in jeopardy, funding has run out, program being cancelled..... and at the 11th plus 59 hour something would come thru, contract extended, new work available.... Not saying that is going to happen in this particular case, just speaking from experience.

Gov't contractors

Been working as a contractor (different companies) since 1985. Saw, and was effected by, quite a few reductions. I learned very early on that this is just the nature of the beast. It took my spouse years to understand that contractors come and contractors go. Just the way it is.

Been working as a contractor (different companies) since 1985. Saw, and was effected by, quite a few reductions. I learned very early on that this is just the nature of the beast. It took my spouse years to understand that contractors come and contractors go. Just the way it is.

Best advice I ever received, and heeded. November 1983:

"No matter who you work for and no matter what is promised always be prepared to lose your job tomorrow and never count on anyone else for your retirement."