Look at all the Heroin Addicts

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You sure you're paying for your retirement and not the generation before yours?.

I'm quite certain I've paid for my retirement and that only I have paid for it.

Of course I've put plenty of money in to SS too.

Two completely different things. The one is all mine. The other...who knows?

inkah

But legal consequences do not work or there'd be no drug trade or partakers. The last thing I want is anyone having their life destroyed by drugs yet, with prohibition, that IS what is happening.

Good grief. Prohibition isn't destroying lives. Drugs are destroying lives. You aren't usually one to twist things and I am surprised at your attempts.

Legal consequences aren't destroying lives either.

The legal consequences are laughable.

inkah

Prohibition isn't what is destroying their lives, their decisions are what destroys their life. There are plenty of lives destroyed by alcohol and by legal prescriptions, I recently had a friend die that was killed by his pain medication prescribed by his own doctor. His savings wiped out, his children fatherless, and it was all done without violating a single law.

My experience was similar in the end. It was a mixture of the drug he original saw the doc for and what the doc prescribed to "help". And really, that is just according to the autopsy. The reality of added factors is much bigger and I can't say he never violated the law.

inkah

How are they not based in reality. They happen every single day in states the have legalized and ones that haven't.

Were you as vocal about your concerns for young minds regarding opiates, depression meds, ADD meds?

Probably not. Because you were told by the government that marijuana was bad and you were told those others were good. Even though they are just as harmful.

"WERE"? lol

So what rock are you hiding under that you think the government is telling people marij. is bad? I'd argue the exact opposite. YOU are more likely the sheep ;).

inkah

There is a group of Parents Meeting Tonight about these issues. Group was started by some local moms whose kids were dying. They don't have the answers, but they are supporting each other and the community through the hell of dealing with the addiction of loved ones and looking for answers as best they can. If you are in the midst of this, or know someone who is, I hope you give it a shot.

Stop by if you can:

6:30 at Walden’s Beacon of Hope facility
(21803 Three Notch Rd, Lexington Park, MD 20653)

Guest Speaker from Pathways ... and as open

round table discussion !!!

IneedSkrimps

Good grief. Prohibition isn't destroying lives. Drugs are destroying lives. You aren't usually one to twist things and I am surprised at your attempts.

Have you ever considered that some people are too scared to ask for help because they fear they will get in trouble? The legal consequences may be minor in some cases, but the legal problems reverberate through out all parts of the persons life.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Have you ever considered that some people are too scared to ask for help because they fear they will get in trouble? The legal consequences may be minor in some cases, but the legal problems reverberate through out all parts of the persons life.

Insha'allah.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Every single on of the many yutes I've seen in counseling and rehab were there only because it was part of the consequences of entering the legal system..of getting "caught". And most of them can't wait to get released from the weekly drug testing etc to return to the "fun". And they do exactly that.

inkah

No. Sorry Charlie. Lame excuse. Are you a parent? Did you tell your kids to focus on getting away with ####, or do you tell them to tell the truth and face the consequences and stop being a pansy? If not, YOU are part of the problem.

Facing your #### is scary. Get over it.

tom88

This new argument about the legal consequences having long lasting effects is ridiculous. The first offense on misdemeanor drug charge is certainly eligible for a probation before judgement. Lets say however, the defendant is ill equipped to ask for or his attorney is incompetent and does not ask for a probation before judgement. The expungement process is in the literature given to the defendant post conviction.

Now, if the defendant is too ignorant to read or listen to the very important process which is happening to them, what makes you think that is the thing holding them back in life?

PeoplesElbow

This new argument about the legal consequences having long lasting effects is ridiculous. The first offense on misdemeanor drug charge is certainly eligible for a probation before judgement. Lets say however, the defendant is ill equipped to ask for or his attorney is incompetent and does not ask for a probation before judgement. The expungement process is in the literature given to the defendant post conviction.

Now, if the defendant is too ignorant to read or listen to the very important process which is happening to them, what makes you think that is the thing holding them back in life?

Most that I have known about start off by stealing from their parents or other loved ones that most likely won't send them to jail. A friends son has stolen from him many times and been in rehab a few times, has nothing on his record and just keeps stealing from mom and dad every time he gets out of rehab for more pills.

mitzi

When you say go to jail, are you talking about being arrested because you are in possession or being sentenced to a term of imprisonment because of simple possession?

Simple possession. Maybe only 30 days, but it does happen.

inkah

Most that I have known about start off by stealing from their parents or other loved ones that most likely won't send them to jail. A friends son has stolen from him many times and been in rehab a few times, has nothing on his record and just keeps stealing from mom and dad every time he gets out of rehab for more pills.
Exactly. And this goes to the whole coddling/enabling mentality of family and friends. These parents are training this kid to steal from others some day. Maybe it will be your house. You should tell your friends to knock off their bulls hit and let their kid be accountable for his actions. And no crying about a "little possession charge". The little rat is doing MUCH worse than he is ever going to pay for.

I wonder what legalization is going to make better in this case.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

We're not communicating here. Yes, drugs are the cause of harm. The question becomes what to do about it and prohibition gets in the way. It, clearly, does not help or work or we'd not be having the conversation.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I went down to get my hairs cut this morning in Callaway. The parking lot, which is generally empty, was packed to the gills. I asked the gal who works on me what was going on. She said it was Suboxone distribution day at the nearby addiction clinic---the drug that is supposed to help wean addicts off of opioids/narcotics like heroin. She said on some days it was so bad that she couldn't find a place to park for work.

I guess one of the most disturbing things was that I followed some guy who lives in my general neighborhood into the parking lot.

Keep in mind that Callaway is a sleepy hamlet---if you sneeze while driving through, you will miss most of it.

You're neighbor probably thinks the same about you driving into that parking lot..

tom88

Simple possession. Maybe only 30 days, but it does happen.

Where? When? I have been involved in the courts for over 20 years and I have NEVER heard of any person receiving an active sentence of 30 days in jail on their first simple possession case. I think if you have heard of that, you don't know the facts of the case and it is MUCH more than simple possession!

bilbur

I am wondering what people that think a druggie should go to treatment instead of jail think the solution should be. Do they honestly think they can send all the druggies to treatment, life counseling, career counseling on the current tax money they receive (which is currently way to much IMO). Do they think taxes should be raised to help deal with the problem? I am all for getting someone clean and in the workforce but I am not willing to pay more of my hard earned money to do it. Then there is the problem of the over 90% relapse rate. All that money spent on some junkie and they go back to their old habits in less then 6 months. Investing in drug addicts has already proven to be a bad investment. If it were me and I was the drug addict I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that someone else's hard earned money was being spent on me and I would sell everything I had to pay for this myself. I have always worked for what I have and being a druggie wouldn't change that. This new mentality of it takes a village has created a bunch of junkies that think they are entitled to all the treatment in the world even though they have barely paid anything into taxes. I know, how dare I put a price tag on someone's life. Well, I am, because I could have used all the tax money that is wasted on the guy that is in his 5th attempt at getting clean for something productive. I could have continued to graduate school and increased my earning potential, or the money could be given to cancer research, or to low income kids who follow the rules of society so they can get a college degree. Oh well, I guess giving some dude a chance to dry out for a month with free room and board just for him to walk out the door straight to the meth dealer is just as good.