Maine

aconsta383

Just North of Portsmouth is Dover.. In Dover there is a sizable seafood restaurant called Newicks. It's pretty difficult to get to, it was at the foot of a bridge back in it's heyday, but they built a new bridge and closed that one.. They are so good, the locals eat there, and keep them in business. If you don't know it's there, and you aren't from there you'll NEVER find it (or know to look for it). Dirt floors, paper plates, plastic utensils, and some picnic tables.. Great views, and great food GINORMOUS portions.

Concur with itsbob, Chris...hometown, GREAT food, HUGE portions...and relatives live right down the street.

Can also recommend Harvey's in downtown Dover, as well as some salt water taffy not too far up the road in York Beach, ME; touristy, slammed in the summer, but worth it...:)

PsyOps

Pixelated
Last edited:

Hessian

It really amused me how many of you not only KNOW the great spots to visit,...but how many of you love the restaurants. I cannot quibble with any of you...well done.

I married a Mainah,...and spent about 16 + weeks renting up along the coast. I prefer TWO regions:
a) Brunswick...it isn't too far from the state bordah...thus only 2+hours up and the peninsulas are GREAT (Bailey & Orr's Island) Some nice pocket beaches that are rarely crowded. Prime kayaking area. Freeport is a 45 min hop.
b) NORTH of Bah Habah,...HWY 1 beyond Ellsworth. The towns will meet all the needs. Antiques, flea markets, book stores, Lobstah, and tour boats accommodate any desire to go visit the shoals, watch Seals, or visit Light houses. It really is quieter than down near Ogunquit. I've paddle open ocean, scoured mud flats (12 foot tides), metal detected...and did some rock hounding. If the weather goes cool/misty...drive back to Bah Habah and shoot the whole day wandering the town. (Then drive up Cadillac mt).

Interior? Plenty for hiking, kayaking rivers (Androscoggin), rock hunts,...and even the Oxford Speedway. LOTS of fishing on the lakes,...camping opportunities abound. Rent a cabin for 100% peace & quiet up on Mooselookmeguntic. KILL BUGS.

Might not do the rental up there this year,...got other $$ plans.
Enjoy the visit,...hope you build some memories...Make sure you say you have no connection to anything related to "Downstaters/Massachoosetts."

oldman

Lobster Land
Agree Mainers do not like Massachoosetts, nor do they think much of the Canadians. And your Downstaters are better known as Flatlanders.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Concur with itsbob, Chris...hometown, GREAT food, HUGE portions...and relatives live right down the street.

Can also recommend Harvey's in downtown Dover, as well as some salt water taffy not too far up the road in York Beach, ME; touristy, slammed in the summer, but worth it...:)

Nobody has better Clam Chowder than Dover Newicks.. even the other Newicks didn't come close

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Bath, Bar Harbor and Pemaquid are my favorite spots in Maine.

Maine is a gorgeous state! Enjoy!! I can't wait to go back.

glhs837

Power with Control
And if you are a fan of architecture, some of the stuff in those coastal towns is amazing. I lived in Bath and could spend a lot of time just wandering around the older part of town. Oh, and one cool thing to see is the cribstone bridge in that area.

http://www.bowdoin.edu/news/archives/summerresearch/003397.shtml

No connections between the pieces of granite, simply long rectangular chunks of granite stacked up so as to allow the tidal flows to pass through...

stgislander

PREMO Member
They're probably not open this time of year but if they are, I highly recommend the lobster roll at Red's Eats on Rt 1 is Wiscasset.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Scarborough...

"Scarborough is a town in Cumberland County on the southern coast of the U.S. state of Maine. The town is a coastal resort area. Located about 7 miles (11 km) south of Portland"

Beautiful coastal town, way cool amusement park just off the ocean! Wherever your Maine journey takes you, stop in South Portland for an Italian Sandwich (Grinder), they are the bomb!

Are you going to the Fair?

Chris0nllyn

Trip is booked.

We'll be staying near Rockland in a oceanfront home for the week.

About 2 hours from Acadia National Forest/ Bah Hahbah

1.5 hours from Portland.

1 hour from boothbay

1 hour from bath.

We'll be doing a lot of driving, eating, and sight seeing, so thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Trip is booked.

1.5 hours from Portland.

1 hour from boothbay

1 hour from bath.

We'll be doing a lot of driving, eating, and sight seeing, so thanks everyone for the suggestions.

hour's drive all along the coast from Belfast too :yay: great restaurants and quaint shops.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Trip is booked.

1.5 hours from Portland.

1 hour from boothbay

1 hour from bath.

Don't forget the Maine Eastern Railroad. You can ride between Rockland and New Brunswick.

belvak

Happy Camper
We went and stayed at a friends place in Tenants Harbor a few years ago. Nice little town. Visited the Marshall Point Lighthouse in Port Clyde and did a little sightseeing in Rockland. Also hit up a park or two as well as some other lighthouses. Our trip was in July. They were having a "hot" spell. Everyone up there was complaining about the heat wave and Hubby and I were enjoying the cool! :lol: Have a great trip!