Man Buys $65 Million Skyscraper With A Credit Card, Earns $1.3 Million

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A man claims he purchased a skyscraper using his credit card. He points out that the card he was using offers a 1% discount on purchases, and gives him 30 days to pay “which is worth 1%.”

For these calculations to be right, this would have to have taken place in the late 1980s – when interest rates were still high, but after cash back cards were first introduced. While interest rates in the U.S. haven’t hit 12% since 1979, they hit 12% last in Canada in the early 1990s shortly after cash back cards were introduced there.

What’s remarkable is,

• The seller was willing to take a credit card. While card acceptance for many retail businesses is cheaper than cash, a funds transfer for a single large transaction is going to be less expensive than credit cards – by a lot.

• This likely means that he could have just as easily negotiated a lower sales price. That is not always more advantageous.

• Today he could have earned 2% back plus the float!

SamSpade

I do remember once - I think I was in high school and it was on my morning radio - that someone once made a huge purchase on either jewelry or a diamond - and the announcer said “and he CHARGED it”.

Maybe I could look it up.

PeoplesElbow

It is also an unsecured debt, so if he defaulted could he have just kept the skyscraper and had a shitty credit rating?

Hahanparry

When it comes to stock trading position size, it's crucial to strike the right balance between risk and reward. I've found that incorporating a solid risk management strategy has been key to my success in trading online 2024. Tools like position sizing calculators help me determine the optimal amount to invest in each trade, considering factors like account size and risk tolerance. For those looking to dive deeper into this topic, I highly recommend checking out this insightful resource on position sizing. It offers valuable insights and practical tips to enhance your trading strategies.

Last edited: