Man identifies flaws in yellow light timing, gets $500 fine

awpitt

Main Streeter
We sure do,Hard to believe how many voted for Hillary, and even harder to believe some of them want Chelsea to run.

Well, like I've said many time over the past year.... We had the worst choices to pick from in any time in American history.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Not really. You can be an engineer without a PE. It seems the state's contention is that him calling himself an engineer is worthy of a fine.

His defense is that he does not make final engineering decisions, nor does he offer engineering work to the public, which is what the section of the law OR is going after him says. The state is arguing that by using math, physics, and intellect, he's practicing engineering.

This is the most logical thing I read all day

glhs837

Power with Control
This is the most logical thing I read all day

No, what they are saying is that by publishing letters that say he's an engineer, and presenting opinions on engineering decisions, even ones he has no control over, he is acting as if he is one.

Hijinx

It didn;t start the primaries like that, so the people we had to choose from is our fault anyway.

Only the Republicans actually had a Primary.
The Democrats had decided long before who their candidate was, and they cheated to make sure.

Chris0nllyn

Only the Republicans actually had a Primary.
The Democrats had decided long before who their candidate was, and they cheated to make sure.

The people still vote for their candidate in the general. Not my fault Americans are so gullible.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Järlström had originally tried in 2014 to present the board with research suggesting that turning cars need more time to go through red lights because the math that cameras are based on is from the 1950s and based on objects that move in a straight line.

But instead of, you know, acting like adults and greeting a good-faith critique with some measure of curiosity, the board opted to investigate Järlström instead. That investigation ended with the fine and, later, a lawsuit filed by Järlström, who charged that the board had violated his First Amendment rights.

The state of Oregon admitted Monday that, no ####, the board had done just that, according to The Oregonian. Järlström is not a licensed engineer in Oregon, but he did study engineering in college, and, more to the point, wasn’t doing the research for any commercial reason. What he did, as our own Jason Torchinsky has pointed out, amounted to screaming at a red-light camera from the comfort of your own car, though he did it with math.

And while this saga has already gone on for far too long, it’s going to go on for a little bit longer, as Järlström’s lawyers have asked a federal magistrate judge to rule that the state law itself is unconstitutional, since it represents a “ban on mathematical debate,” according to The Oregonian. The state has already returned the $500 to Järlström and has said it will stop pursuing him any further.

Oregon Admits To Violating The Constitutional Rights Of Red-Light Camera Critic Who Was Fined $500

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Darned common sense and liberal (Oregon) politicians. Facts just continuously seem to trip them up.

Chris0nllyn

Darned common sense and liberal (Oregon) politicians. Facts just continuously seem to trip them up.

This is bigger than a particular party, IMO. This is a classic example of our govt. trying to silence those who put them in office.

Hijinx

I just got back from Myrtle beach where I spent a week.
I don't know how many red lights I ran, but it was a few.
The yellow there was so quick, by the time I realized it and started jamming my brakes on fast I had caught a few reds.

Chris0nllyn

As a follow up (and to point out the break-neck speed in which our justice system works) to these quotes in the OP:
In January of this year, Järlström was officially fined $500 by the state for the crime of "practicing engineering without being registered."
And yet, the engineering board in Oregon says he should not be free to publish or present his ideas. Tuesday, Järlström and the Institute for Justice sued the engineering board in federal court for Violating his First Amendment rights.

Last week, U.S. Magistrate Judge Stacie F. Beckerman issued a permanent injunction against the board's enforcement of the relevant rules (including the $500 fine) as they violate Järlström's First Amendment right.
The regulation of the title 'engineer' is more burdensome than necessary to protect the public from the unlicensed practice of engineering.
The record demonstrates that the threat to free expression is not merely hypothetical.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5673252-Jarlstorm-Opinion.html

The Institute of Justice represented Järlström.
https://ij.org/case/oregon-engineering-speech/

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good grief...what a debacle...and what a sad commentary on the inherently overreaching nature of so much of what we call "government".

Reactions: BOP

Toxick

Splat
Last week, U.S. Magistrate Judge Stacie F. Beckerman issued a permanent injunction against the board's enforcement of the relevant rules (including the $500 fine) as they violate Järlström's First Amendment right.

Yay!

The Institute of Traffic Engineers (ITE) ended up using Järlström's work to update their yellow light timing formula.

Double-yay.

Maybe we aren't totally ****ing doomed as a society.

Well, yeah, we are - but maybe we're not as close as I thought.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Oregon Tried To Silence This Engineer's Red Light Camera Research. Now Experts Say He Was Right All Along.

More than five years after Mats Järlström was threatened with fines for presenting data that challenged Oregon's red light camera program, his research has changed the way traffic engineers will calculate the timing of yellow lights.

The Institute of Traffic Engineers (ITE), an international group that publishes guidelines and best practices with an eye towards safety and mobility, published an update to its guidance for traffic signal timing last week. The new standard takes into account a wide variety of factors, including vehicle approach speeds, deceleration rates, intersection width, vehicle length, and more, according to an ITE statement announcing the changes. But Järlström's research—specifically, his "extended kinematic equation"—is cited as playing a key role in the ITE's updated yellow light timing formula.

That research never would have seen the light of day if the Oregon Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying had its way.

Järlström got on the board's bad side because he tried to challenge a traffic ticket given to his wife by a red light camera in Beaverton, Oregon, in 2013. He challenged the ticket by questioning the timing of the yellow lights at intersections where the cameras had been installed, using knowledge from his degree in electrical engineering and his experience working the Swedish Air Force and various technical jobs since immigrating to the United States in 1992. His research landed him in the media spotlight—in 2014, he presented his evidence on an episode of 60 Minutes—and earned him an invitation to present his findings to the ITE.

But the Oregon board said Järlström's research amounted to practicing engineering without a license. In a 2014 letter, the board told Järlström that even calling himself an "electronics engineer" and the use of the phrase "I am an engineer" were enough to "create violations" that could result in a $500 fine.