Maryland Lawmakers are considering a Bill that would create a reparation system by increasing taxes

3CATSAILOR

I doubt this will go anywhere this time around.

But, I suspect those that are behind it will keep trying to push it until it breaks through the wall in Annapolis. However, if it ever does go through, look out!!!

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (TND) — Maryland lawmakers are considering a bill that would create a reparations system by increasing certain taxes.

The Maryland Reparations Act of 2024 calls for changes to the state’s income tax rates and estate capital gains tax. In addition to increasing the marijuana sales tax from 9% to 14%, the legislation seeks to increase Maryland's revenue by an estimated $1.2 billion in fiscal 2025, according to the bill’s fiscal note.

Under the proposal, the increased taxes would be distributed to the Community Reinvestment and Repair Fund. Established in conjunction with the state's legalization of marijuana in 2023, the fund aims to direct money to low-income individuals and to "serve disproportionately impacted areas.”

“The purpose of the [f]und is to provide funds to community-based organizations that serve communities determined by the Office of Social Equity, in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General, to have the most impacted by disproportionate enforcement of cannabis prohibition before July 1, 2022,” Maryland state law reads.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The bill is being fast tracked through Committee to have a full vote by both Houses. My guess is that it will be the last piece of legislation voted on before Sine Die in April. That way it can be lobbied for until the last possible moment and they won't be able to fight about after the vote.

I actually think it will pass on the first go around but if it doesn't it will definitely be back next year. That's the "Maryland Way", keep introducing legislation until it gets passed so the sponsors will shut up and go away.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Legislators and observers are already screaming that there's not enough money pay for the "Blueprint for Maryland's Future." So now they want to take monies that should have went for that to pay for reparations.

glhs837

Power with Control
Seems like an election year stunt to me. " I tried to get you all the reparations but those white devils they stopped me"

GregV814

alright...... who benefits from "reparations"? Ancestry.com....

I can see 130M people trying to establish a link between themselves and a slave named Johnson who lived in Monticello....

because I'm SO SURE, the issuing agencies funneling the cash will want verification...right?? right??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Under the proposal, the increased taxes would be distributed to the Community Reinvestment and Repair Fund.

Wonder whose crony that is and how much of it will get kicked back to "Maryland lawmakers"?

the fund aims to direct money to low-income individuals and to "serve disproportionately impacted areas.”

Sure it does....

Notice that Democrats are constantly creating these foundations and funds and studies and what not, and the people they are supposedly helping never show even a smidge of improvement and in fact get worse? And yet durhard Dembot voters fall for it every single time? Meanwhile the politicians get richer and richer.....

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Anybody read the Maryland Right to Die bill yet?:popcorn:
Maybe that's how we can opt out of paying higher taxes for reparations?:killingme

glhs837

Power with Control
alright...... who benefits from "reparations"? Ancestry.com....

I can see 130M people trying to establish a link between themselves and a slave named Johnson who lived in Monticello....

because I'm SO SURE, the issuing agencies funneling the cash will want verification...right?? right??

Hmm, if you are half racist founder and half black, do you pay yourself?

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes but you only pay yourself Half.
Confused Thinking GIF

3CATSAILOR

The bill is being fast tracked through Committee to have a full vote by both Houses. My guess is that it will be the last piece of legislation voted on before Sine Die in April. That way it can be lobbied for until the last possible moment and they won't be able to fight about after the vote.

I actually think it will pass on the first go around but if it doesn't it will definitely be back next year. That's the "Maryland Way", keep introducing legislation until it gets passed so the sponsors will shut up and go away.
Yeah, no doubt about it. it's what they do.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The bill is being fast tracked through Committee to have a full vote by both Houses.
What makes this a fast track? Introduced on 1/26/24 on 1/29/24 it went to committee. There was to be a committee hearing on 2/14/24. Can;t find any record of the hearing.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
What makes this a fast track? Introduced on 1/26/24 on 1/29/24 it went to committee. There was to be a committee hearing on 2/14/24. Can;t find any record of the hearing.
The Committee assignment and the quick hearing. Usually the hearing with that late filing wouldn't have been until this week at the earliest. Proposed legislation is usually pre-filed and assigned before the session even begins. You're now close to the date where if one House has had the hearing and hasn't sent it over to the other that the bill becomes officially dead because there's not enough time for the second hearing, return to the original House for a re-hearing on changes then sent back to iron out the changes for a full vote.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The Committee assignment and the quick hearing. Usually the hearing with that late filing wouldn't have been until this week at the earliest. Proposed legislation is usually pre-filed and assigned before the session even begins. You're now close to the date where if one House has had the hearing and hasn't sent it over to the other that the bill becomes officially dead because there's not enough time for the second hearing, return to the original House for a re-hearing on changes then sent back to iron out the changes for a full vote.
Just looked at the session dates of interest -

Mar12 - 63rd Day – Committee Reporting Courtesy Date
Each Chamber’s committees to report their own bills by this date.

Mar 18 - 69th Day – Opposite Chamber Bill Crossover Date
Each Chamber to send to other Chamber those bills it intends to pass
favorably. Opposite Chamber bills received after this date subject to referral to Rules
Committees (Senate Rule 32(c), House Courtesy Date

3CATSAILOR

Just looked at the session dates of interest -

Mar12 - 63rd Day – Committee Reporting Courtesy Date
Each Chamber’s committees to report their own bills by this date.

Mar 18 - 69th Day – Opposite Chamber Bill Crossover Date
Each Chamber to send to other Chamber those bills it intends to pass
favorably. Opposite Chamber bills received after this date subject to referral to Rules
Committees (Senate Rule 32(c), House Courtesy Date
Senator Jack Bailey sits on the Taxation Committee. I doubt he will be for what would be a new huge tax.

SamSpade

Something else occurred to me - about reparations. I've never seen a good outcome when someone who is not accustomed to wealth, suddenly receives a huge infusion of cash. You don't have to be black or white - the lottery alone is a good enough barometer.

How do you go about then, trying to do reparations, then, if the outcome for the biggest outpouring of cash ends up being frittered away wastefully on cars, and luxuries and so forth? I've seen it too often - someone without money who gets it seems to believe that being rich is just a matter of having money to spend on things, rather than cultivating the wherewithal to remain wealthy.

Do you teach them to invest? Advise on starting a new business, to gain new skills, get a better education? Buy a home they can afford to pay for and eschew spending money on things that lose value rapidly? Require it only be parceled out in payments from a set up trust fund, so that it's not all wasted in one big spending spree?

Aside from all the other reasons NOT to do reparations, this one honestly only just occurred to me.