ISO Recommendations Master Bathroom Remodel

Clem72

10-15k may be a bit tight. If you give the contractor the room stripped to the studs it may help.

Come on now. I watch Flip or Flop, Love It or List It, Texas Flip n Move, and the Property Brothers so I know its always 8-10k for a small bathroom, 12k for a large one. /s

MR47930

Come on now. I watch Flip or Flop, Love It or List It, Texas Flip n Move, and the Property Brothers so I know its always 8-10k for a small bathroom, 12k for a large one. /s

Hell on "Fixer Upper" $15k buys the whole house on 20 acres...

glhs837

Power with Control
Recommend: You get at LEAST 4 estimates and do your own research

Don't recommend: You pick someone just because an anonymous person on somd.com threw a name out there

Thanks, if we had that to begin with I wouldn't be in this situation...:banghead:

Care to elaborate? I'm sure they are still made, but I can't say I have seen one for sale or installed in 20+ years. Iron is good for heat retention, so I get using them in a tub, but it's not going to buy you much in a shower pan except that the enamel will likely hold up better than acrylic or fiber glass.

If you think you need one for the weight, you don't. Properly installed a fiberglass pan will support a 500lb person (but you do need to set them in mud for extra support).

Yep, still made. And yes, planning on a +20 year installed life. And with a mud set for fiberglass or acrylic, you do have a chance for that support not to be %100. Costly and Heavy as a bugger, but bulletproof over multiple lifetimes.

Which sort of brings me to the reason the OP is doing this remodel. A pet peeve of mine is houses designed to show and sell, but not really to live in. Jacuzzi tubs look great, but are not super usable on a daily basis. Tons of lost floorspace to all the framing and you almost have to sit and crawl over into the darn thing. Living rooms where there is only one place to put a TV and that's six feet up over the fireplace. Or on a wall that's filled with windows to backlight it. Grand entryways that require a scaffold and a skyhook to dust.

officeguy

Lol.

They also never seem to require a permit and if they need an inspection it happens sometime during a 3 day project and never creates a weeklong holdup.

officeguy

That would be the plan. Once we get a layout/plan that we like I would rip everything out so they could start with a clean slate. Only thing that I foresee as a PITA is the Jacuzzi tub with tile surround. That's going to be a biatch to get out/cut up.

I started hacking away at the jacuzzi surround with the plan of taking the thing out. After a while I said eff-it and had the contractor complete the demo. They sawzall'd the thing in half and carried it out in pieces.

I hate those things, all the nozzles in the way and no way to ever clean it right. I did lose the battle for a plain tub to replace it, we settled on a bubble tub. I would have loved a claw-foot but the layout of the master didn't allow for that.

officeguy

One place you can save money is by buying all the fixtures, tub, tiles etc yourself. There is an auction place up in Baltimore where companies dump things like order errors. Not sure whether you could find a tub, but you can get things like kitchen cabinet sets that were ordered left hand instead of right for a song. My brother in law sourced stuff for his home remodel and did lots of the labor which really brought down the cost.

The other option is to buy fixtures online. Make sure you get original stuff, you wouldn't think but people in China are counterfitting Kohler stuff.

Of course most of the contractors have accounts and would want to order through their suppliers, but some may be happy to just provide the labor.

MR47930

Yep, still made. And yes, planning on a +20 year installed life. And with a mud set for fiberglass or acrylic, you do have a chance for that support not to be %100. Costly and Heavy as a bugger, but bulletproof over multiple lifetimes.

Which sort of brings me to the reason the OP is doing this remodel. A pet peeve of mine is houses designed to show and sell, but not really to live in. Jacuzzi tubs look great, but are not super usable on a daily basis. Tons of lost floorspace to all the framing and you almost have to sit and crawl over into the darn thing. Living rooms where there is only one place to put a TV and that's six feet up over the fireplace. Or on a wall that's filled with windows to backlight it. Grand entryways that require a scaffold and a skyhook to dust.
Yea the whole reason we're looking to remodel is that the fiberglass walk in shower surround is leaking. Instead of spending a little money to fix the problem we figured it would be better to re-do the entire thing the way we want it. Working on getting quotes now. I'm somewhat handy but I'm looking to move walls and expand the footprint, which is above my level.

MR47930

Seem to be having trouble getting someone to return a phone call. So far everyone I've called I've had to leave a message and currently no one has returned the call. Everyone must be busy...

officeguy

Seem to be having trouble getting someone to return a phone call. So far everyone I've called I've had to leave a message and currently no one has returned the call. Everyone must be busy...

Good luck. All the good ones are busy themselves as as they don't sub out the work to just anyone who walks up.

Goldenhawk

So far everyone I've called I've had to leave a message and currently no one has returned the call.
That is my experience with nearly every contractor of any stripe. If they're not a largish corporation, "Joe's Contractor" is just Joe and his cell phone. And chances are nearly 100% Joe is somewhere elbow deep in his job and too busy to answer the phone. That's probably a good thing, at least if you've already hired Joe. Not so fun if you're trying to hire Joe, but just leave a message and move to the next contact.

MR47930

That is my experience with nearly every contractor of any stripe. If they're not a largish corporation, "Joe's Contractor" is just Joe and his cell phone. And chances are nearly 100% Joe is somewhere elbow deep in his job and too busy to answer the phone. That's probably a good thing, at least if you've already hired Joe. Not so fun if you're trying to hire Joe, but just leave a message and move to the next contact.
Good luck. All the good ones are busy themselves as as they don't sub out the work to just anyone who walks up.

Yea I knew getting this project started was probably going to take some time but I figured I could at least get a call and set up some date/time to get a quote. Odds are I don't want the guy who's not busy to be working on my project anyway. I'll continue to call around and see what happens.

Clem72

I have all three of those issues in my ~20 year old home. Two room bath with one entire room dedicated to Jacuzzi mountain (that never gets used), a livingroom with no room for TV except above mantle on fireplace, and an entryway so tall we haven't repainted since the house was built (and it has needed it for 10 years).

glhs837

Power with Control
Recommend: You get at LEAST 4 estimates and do your own research

Don't recommend: You pick someone just because an anonymous person on somd.com threw a name out there

Thanks, if we had that to begin with I wouldn't be in this situation...:banghead:

Care to elaborate? I'm sure they are still made, but I can't say I have seen one for sale or installed in 20+ years. Iron is good for heat retention, so I get using them in a tub, but it's not going to buy you much in a shower pan except that the enamel will likely hold up better than acrylic or fiber glass.

If you think you need one for the weight, you don't. Properly installed a fiberglass pan will support a 500lb person (but you do need to set them in mud for extra support).

I have all three of those issues in my ~20 year old home. Two room bath with one entire room dedicated to Jacuzzi mountain (that never gets used), a livingroom with no room for TV except above mantle on fireplace, and an entryway so tall we haven't repainted since the house was built (and it has needed it for 10 years).

Most commonly found in subdivisions and houses built by the big builders.

officeguy

I live in a small subdivision built by one of the big builders of SOMD...imagine that!

That mc-mansion style is near universal for homes built since the mid 90s. If you wanted anything different you had to go architect planned custom built.

Stew

Just curious.. did you get the remodel done? If so, who did you choose and how did things go? I'm thinking about getting my master bath redone similarly.

MR47930

@MR47930
Who did you end up going with?
Turn out nice?
Sorry, I don't get on here much anymore.

We did not end up getting our master bath redone. I did take the drain out of the current shower, buy a new one and put an ass-load of plumbers putty around the rim before tightly installing it. Fixed the leak for about $20, good thing because we had a baby about 3 months after I started this thread.

We did have a contractor show up and walk through and he was great, I've seen his work on a buddies house and I know he does good quality work. He took all of the measurements and even threw in his own ideas which we loved, and then we never heard from him again even after multiple text/calls. Hopefully he just got really busy and nothing terrible happened to him.

We also had SOMD kitchen/bath come by for a quote. I think I offended the guy when I laughed him out of my house after he showed me a $50K quote. He wanted $3K for vanity mirrors in the itemized quote.