Matthew 6:16-24

hotcoffee

Fasting

16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Treasures in Heaven

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy,[c] your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy,[d] your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

c.Matthew 6:22 The Greek for healthy here implies generous.
d.Matthew 6:23 The Greek for unhealthy here implies stingy.

People don't fast much anymore. Usually it's for some kind of medical test or another. I know you've seen them at the doctor's office... people miserable for going without food or a cup of coffee for a few hours....

In Leviticus 16:29-30 you can find the law handed down by God concerning fasting. It was supposed to cleanse the body for the Day of Atonement.

Leviticus 16:29 “This is to be a lasting ordinance for you: On the tenth day of the seventh month you must deny yourselves[a] and not do any work—whether native-born or a foreigner residing among you— 30 because on this day atonement will be made for you, to cleanse you. Then, before the Lord, you will be clean from all your sins.​

So this question comes to mind... when you are worshiping... do you screw up your face and look miserable?

:coffee:

Verse 24 is often quoted.... "you can't serve two gods"... I've had money and I've been homeless. Money doesn't mean as much as some people think it does. Yeah... it's easier to live with a roof over my head... it's easier to get around with a car... It's great to have a job...

A lot of people seem to think that this verse is about giving up all your possessions.... I don't see it that way... I see it as living below your means and leaving the rest for everyone else.

I know a child who use to say "I want everything and everything".... that second everything would make someone else very happy.

On a side note.... do you think there will be moths and vermin in heaven? God created them so there must be, right? I wonder what they feed on up there?

Last edited:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
[16] The only fast prescribed in the Mosaic law was that of the Day of Atonement (Lev 16:31), but the practice of regular fasting was common in later Judaism; cf Didache Matthew 9:1.

[19-34] The remaining material of this chapter is taken almost entirely from Q. It deals principally with worldly possessions, and the controlling thought is summed up in Matthew 6:24, the disciple can serve only one master and must choose between God and wealth (mammon). See further the note on Luke 16:9.

[22-23] In this context the parable probably points to the need for the disciple to be enlightened by Jesus' teaching on the transitory nature of earthly riches.

[24] Mammon: an Aramaic word meaning wealth or property.

New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Catholics fast in preparation for Easter. The majority of us go quietly about our duty, although some like to make a stink of it. Catholic kids often ask each other what they "gave up for Lent". It really shouldn't be anyone's business but yours. I kind of have a rant about the fasting. We're not supposed to eat meat on Friday's during Lent. Back in Jesus' day fish was a staple of their diet and beef was a luxury; however, these days beef is the norm and seafood is a bit of a luxury. It kind of irks me when people forgo their plain old ground beef for shrimp, flounder, or lobster. And for Heaven's sake don't tell me how you're sacrificing something by eating that shrimp or lobster! Imo, it defeats the purpose. So, in my household I've switched it up. We eat crappy Hamburger Helper on Fridays instead of fish much to my children's dismay, heh.

There was a time in my life when I wanted things; however, I eventually found out that nice things get broken or break down or what have you and I didn't have a nice thing anymore. I kind of learned that these things weren't needs but only wants. I remember the saying back in the 90s "He who dies with the most toys wins." Thats utter bullcrap. You can't take your toys with you, so why bother trying to attain them? What's really important, imo, is how much you loved and how you lived your life. You can tell people who love much. They have an inner peace about them. Whereas, someone who's only interested in obtaining things tends to be frantic because they are always attempting to attain more things. I guess that's kind of what Jesus meant when He talked about that inner light or darkness and how you can't serve both God and money?

countrygirl12

Fasting purifies our soul, it brings us closer to God. Yes people are required to fast for bloodwork but to really "fast" should be for a purpose and combined with prayer, ie. for healing (spiritual or physical), for someone else, or for a specific need. Our father in heaven wants to bless us, he wants us to enjoy this life, he wants us to pray to him to know him because he loves us!

Matthew 6:24 is not about giving everything up, it's about asking ourselves "who do we worship God or worldly possessions (excess wealth)?" The Lord knows that we have basic needs (food, shrlter, clothes) but what is our priority? Hes not asking us to give up our cars or homes, but who and what do we put first in our lives? We should learn to "live within our means" not necessarily below our means. If we love God and hold to Him we will WANT to give freely to our fellow man and will be able to do so because we have what we need.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Catholics fast in preparation for Easter. The majority of us go quietly about our duty, although some like to make a stink of it. Catholic kids often ask each other what they "gave up for Lent". It really shouldn't be anyone's business but yours. I kind of have a rant about the fasting. We're not supposed to eat meat on Friday's during Lent. Back in Jesus' day fish was a staple of their diet and beef was a luxury; however, these days beef is the norm and seafood is a bit of a luxury. It kind of irks me when people forgo their plain old ground beef for shrimp, flounder, or lobster. And for Heaven's sake don't tell me how you're sacrificing something by eating that shrimp or lobster! Imo, it defeats the purpose. So, in my household I've switched it up. We eat crappy Hamburger Helper on Fridays instead of fish much to my children's dismay, heh.

There was a time in my life when I wanted things; however, I eventually found out that nice things get broken or break down or what have you and I didn't have a nice thing anymore. I kind of learned that these things weren't needs but only wants. I remember the saying back in the 90s "He who dies with the most toys wins." Thats utter bullcrap. You can't take your toys with you, so why bother trying to attain them? What's really important, imo, is how much you loved and how you lived your life. You can tell people who love much. They have an inner peace about them. Whereas, someone who's only interested in obtaining things tends to be frantic because they are always attempting to attain more things. I guess that's kind of what Jesus meant when He talked about that inner light or darkness and how you can't serve both God and money?

I'm taking my toys with me. :tantrum: Actually, I don't have any toys. So nevermind.

That's an interesting take on hamburger versus seafood. I think you made an excellent choice. Also as a non-Catholic, I never realized it was rude to ask what one gave up for Lent. Now I know. Being surrounded by Catholics, I always asked because I thought it was the polite thing to do and to offer moral support.

I will also stop B&M about not being able to eat meat...or at least I'll try to stop.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I'm taking my toys with me. :tantrum: Actually, I don't have any toys. So nevermind.

That's an interesting take on hamburger versus seafood. I think you made an excellent choice. Also as a non-Catholic, I never realized it was rude to ask what one gave up for Lent. Now I know. Being surrounded by Catholics, I always asked because I thought it was the polite thing to do and to offer moral support.

I will also stop B&M about not being able to eat meat...or at least I'll try to stop.

It's not rude per se. If you want to offer moral support, then by all means please do so! :huggy: