Matthew 6:5-15 Prayer

hotcoffee

Prayer

Matthew 6:5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:“‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]but deliver us from the evil one.

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

a.Matthew 6:13 The Greek for temptation can also mean testing.
b.Matthew 6:13 Or from evil; some late manuscripts one, / for yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen

We could stay on this one for a while. I don't think we will, but we could if we broke it down into the verses.

Babbling on like Pagans

I've heard I don't know how many thousands of people who stood in front for a service, a prayer meeting, a Sunday School class, a Bible study, and a multitude of other meetings.... who used all kinds of flowery speech, droning on and on and on... I've even said "Amen" out loud.... but that just made them go on even longer....

So what should you do when you get tapped to lead the prayer? I've declined. The pastor was very good about it. He just went on to ask someone else.

Our Father

Have we seen Jesus tell the people that we are all His children yet? I don't think so.

He's saying to us.... talk to God like you are talking to your Father.... Naturally...

The parts of prayer

Every now and then it's good to go back to the basics. This link will take you to a children's study page that does a great job of putting the Lord's prayer in basic language. It's only one page and very easy to understand.

Forgive others

Back to character again. Be good to others so they will have a chance to be good to you.

I'm sure there is a lot more that can be said about these few verses. Like I've said, I've heard I don't know how many sermons and taken I don't know how many studies on the matter.

Pray to Him... talk to Him... it's part of the relationship...
:coffee:

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
These verses are the crux of what I personally do not like about the modern church. Too many are going to be seen, show off clothes, show their piousness then screw their neighbor over in business the other 6 days. This is why I prefer my style and form of spirituality. In the woods, on my deck, wherever I am, a little chat with the Creator or my ancestors or to the spirit animals makes me at peace. I do not need to profess in front of a crowd, they are not my judge.

Now, I know the modern church has it's place and for some, it is a rock, a steady place of comfort and learning and fellowship. That's the goodness.

Still, make no show of your religion and do not beat your chest to impress me.

hotcoffee

Cheezgrits... I just can't resist this anymore.

You keep talking about praying to the Creator and your ancestors.... and with all due respect... not wanting to push anything on you or anything... I have to say... every time you say that it reminds me of something out of the Old Testament.

It's one of my favorite stories among many many favorites.... and I'd like to share it with your here....

Elijah calls out the followers of Baal on Mount Carmel

1 Kings 18:16 So Obadiah went to meet Ahab and told him, and Ahab went to meet Elijah. 17 When he saw Elijah, he said to him, “Is that you, you troubler of Israel?”

18 “I have not made trouble for Israel,” Elijah replied. “But you and your father’s family have. You have abandoned the Lord’s commands and have followed the Baals. 19 Now summon the people from all over Israel to meet me on Mount Carmel. And bring the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel’s table.”

20 So Ahab sent word throughout all Israel and assembled the prophets on Mount Carmel. 21 Elijah went before the people and said, “How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him.”

But the people said nothing.

22 Then Elijah said to them, “I am the only one of the Lord’s prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets. 23 Get two bulls for us. Let Baal’s prophets choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. 24 Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire—he is God.”

Then all the people said, “What you say is good.”

25 Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, “Choose one of the bulls and prepare it first, since there are so many of you. Call on the name of your god, but do not light the fire.” 26 So they took the bull given them and prepared it.

Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon. “Baal, answer us!” they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made.

27 At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28 So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. 29 Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention.

30 Then Elijah said to all the people, “Come here to me.” They came to him, and he repaired the altar of the Lord, which had been torn down. 31 Elijah took twelve stones, one for each of the tribes descended from Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord had come, saying, “Your name shall be Israel.” 32 With the stones he built an altar in the name of the Lord, and he dug a trench around it large enough to hold two seahs[a] of seed. 33 He arranged the wood, cut the bull into pieces and laid it on the wood. Then he said to them, “Fill four large jars with water and pour it on the offering and on the wood.”

34 “Do it again,” he said, and they did it again.

“Do it a third time,” he ordered, and they did it the third time. 35 The water ran down around the altar and even filled the trench.

36 At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed: “Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command. 37 Answer me, Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again.”

38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench.

39 When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, “The Lord—he is God! The Lord—he is God!”

It's like the firefight at the ok corral.... and My God won... but I really love how Elijah made fun of Baal.... it's a hoot....

I just had to throw that in there... since you are always talking to the Creator... I'm not sure if the Creator and my one and only God are one in the same... I would hope so....

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Oh no, not you too now.

<sigh> just had to fall into the my god is the one and only. Better than yours..

So again, selective quotes from the old testament to support it when it's convenient, then proclaiming how the new testament of your Jesus overrides the old testament.

At least I have one belief, one path and one vision. No wonder you Christians can't agree on anything.

Just when I was enjoying reading these posts and learning and appreciating y'alls views and interpretations.

You pray your way, I'll pray mine.

hotcoffee

Oh no, not you too now.

<sigh> just had to fall into the my god is the one and only. Better than yours..

So again, selective quotes from the old testament to support it when it's convenient, then proclaiming how the new testament of your Jesus overrides the old testament.

At least I have one belief, one path and one vision. No wonder you Christians can't agree on anything.

Just when I was enjoying reading these posts and learning and appreciating y'alls views and interpretations.

You pray your way, I'll pray mine.

Like I said... not pushing anything on you.... but Elijah taunting the gods just comes to mind...

Keep reading! Love your input...

When Elijah told them that their god must be away [on vacation maybe] that just cracks me up!

Radiant1

Soul Probe
[7-15] Matthew inserts into his basic traditional material an expansion of the material on prayer that includes the model prayer, the "Our Father." That prayer is found in Luke 11:2-4 in a different context and in a different form.

[7] The example of what Christian prayer should be like contrasts it now not with the prayer of the hypocrites but with that of the pagans. Their babbling probably means their reciting a long list of divine names, hoping that one of them will force a response from the deity.

[9-13] Matthew's form of the "Our Father" follows the liturgical tradition of his church. Luke's less developed form also represents the liturgical tradition known to him, but it is probably closer than Matthew's to the original words of Jesus.

[9] Our Father in heaven: this invocation is found in many rabbinic prayers of the post-New Testament period. Hallowed be your name: though the "hallowing" of the divine name could be understood as reverence done to God by human praise and by obedience to his will, this is more probably a petition that God hallow his own name, i.e., that he manifest his glory by an act of power (cf Ezekiel 36:23), in this case, by the establishment of his kingdom in its fullness.

[10] Your kingdom come: this petition sets the tone of the prayer, and inclines the balance toward divine rather than human action in the petitions that immediately precede and follow it. Your will be done, on earth as in heaven: a petition that the divine purpose to establish the kingdom, a purpose present now in heaven, be executed on earth.

[11] Give us today our daily bread: the rare Greek word epiousios, here daily, occurs in the New Testament only here and in Luke 11:3. A single occurrence of the word outside of these texts and of literature dependent on them has been claimed, but the claim is highly doubtful. The word may mean daily or "future" (other meanings have also been proposed). The latter would conform better to the eschatological tone of the whole prayer. So understood, the petition would be for a speedy coming of the kingdom (today), which is often portrayed in both the Old Testament and the New under the image of a feast (Isaiah 25:6; Matthew 8:11; 22:1-10; Luke 13:29; 14:15-24).

[12] Forgive us our debts: the word debts is used metaphorically of sins, "debts" owed to God (see Luke 11:4). The request is probably for forgiveness at the final judgment.

[13] Jewish apocalyptic writings speak of a period of severe trial before the end of the age, sometimes called the "messianic woes." This petition asks that the disciples be spared that final test.

[14-15] These verses reflect a set pattern called "Principles of Holy Law." Human action now will be met by a corresponding action of God at the final judgment.

New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I've always found it interesting the phrase "go into your room and close the door". I never took that literally, but rather metaphorically. I tend not to do petition prayer other than liturgically. Personal prayer for me is more meditative. I close out the world around me (close the door) and open myself up to God to do His work in me (my room), His will be done whatever that may be. I don't ask for anything because He's God, He's majestic, He already knows so why bother?

When it comes to liturgical prayer I prefer a calm, stead worship. It's just not my nature to do the holy roller thing. I realize it's perfect for others, but for me it's kind of silly.

Whether personal or liturgical prayer I often don't find communication with God until later in that still small voice at various parts throughout the day or week. Kind of like Elijah in 1Kings 19 where he didn't hear God in the rushing wind, earthquake or the fire, but rather as a whisper. And this connection is my "daily bread". It's confirmed that He's there, He's looking out for me, and He loves me. I think this is kind of what happens with cheezgrits when he's on his back porch. He hears that small still whisper of the Creator's voice speaking to him and he connects, and that connection is a beautiful thing.

countrygirl12

We can pray anywhere, anytime and in anyway (in our minds, in our closet, with our family, with friends), God just wants to hear from us. Just as any parent wants their child to come to him when they are troubled, have questions or needs comfort, we need to talk with our Father in Heaven. Prayer should be reverent and it should be without a lot of noise (there's enough noise in the world through media and our busy lives in general). Think about "Who" we are praying to? It is helpful to be in a quiet place to talk to Him, so we can hear His answers. Regardless where we pray He hears us and He knows us, but we need to be in a place where we can receive direction and feel His love for us.

Zguy28

I've always found it interesting the phrase "go into your room and close the door". I never took that literally, but rather metaphorically. I tend not to do petition prayer other than liturgically. Personal prayer for me is more meditative. I close out the world around me (close the door) and open myself up to God to do His work in me (my room), His will be done whatever that may be. I don't ask for anything because He's God, He's majestic, He already knows so why bother?
You silly hyper-Calvinist. :evil:

j/k

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
...Have we seen Jesus tell the people that we are all His children yet? I don't think so. He's saying to us.... talk to God like you are talking to your Father.... Naturally...:coffee:
You're right. People must become children of God; we're not all His children (as many think):

12 "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God". (John 1)

13 "...those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God...The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ...". (Romans 8)

8 "...In other words, it is not the natural children who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring". (Romans 9)

26 "You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus..." (Galatians 3) [NIV1984]
Radiant1 said:
7] "The example of what Christian prayer should be like contrasts it now not with the prayer of the hypocrites but with that of the pagans. Their babbling probably means their reciting a long list of divine names, hoping that one of them will force a response from the deity".
:rosary:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Nice try, but the rosary doesn't fit that bill. We've been having nice ecumenical discussions on the gospel of Mathew without derisiveness. This is your first post in these threads and you've already ruined it. Get behind me Satan. :buttkick:
Nice try but Satan wouldn't tell you the truth...

hotcoffee

I asked my preacher one time...

"Why do we teach our children a memorized prayer?"

His response was simple and I think it applies here. We teach our children discipline. To pray before eating is a way to thank the Lord for supplying our needs. To pray on our knees before going to bed is to teach us to talk to the Lord on a regular basis.

I've seen Rosaries mentioned here. That may have the same purpose, discipline, practice....

IMHO though... there's nothing like talking to God anytime, anywhere, in quiet, alone.... and naturally, as you would talk to your Father.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I've seen Rosaries mentioned here. That may have the same purpose, discipline, practice....

The rosary is a meditation on the mysteries of Christ so, yes, it has purpose, and it does not consist of reciting a long list of divine names as IS is claiming.

Zguy28

I asked my preacher one time...

"Why do we teach our children a memorized prayer?"

His response was simple and I think it applies here. We teach our children discipline. To pray before eating is a way to thank the Lord for supplying our needs. To pray on our knees before going to bed is to teach us to talk to the Lord on a regular basis.

IMHO though... there's nothing like talking to God anytime, anywhere, in quiet, alone.... and naturally, as you would talk to your Father.

Yes, its most definitely a both/and and not a either/or. Its the same reason to teach kids (and adults) catechisms. You want to inculcate truth and discipline.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Too many non-Catholics dismiss the rosary due to the 50 Hail Marys alone.....they fail to realize that while reciting each decade of the rosary we are focusing on a different mystery/event from the Gospels. And yes, all 4 mysteries and the 5 events that make up a mystery ARE from the gospels!

hotcoffee

Too many non-Catholics dismiss the rosary due to the 50 Hail Marys alone.....they fail to realize that while reciting each decade of the rosary we are focusing on a different mystery/event from the Gospels. And yes, all 4 mysteries and the 5 events that make up a mystery ARE from the gospels!

The reason I mentioned rosaries is that I saw it mentioned in the posts here.

IMHO I believe prayer is a way of talking with the Father. It should be a natural one on one prayer... not a quote, quip, poem, or verse.

Those are all fine... and they all have their purpose... but to me prayer is part of a conversation.... we talk, He listens, and He answers.

When I was a kid, the family would travel from Gales Ferry, Conn., to Front Royal, VA for the holidays. I can remember one particular trip when my sister and I saw a sign for an ice cream stand that my parents had stopped at on previous trips. We got all excited, anticipating the stop.... and Daddy drove right past it. Years later, I mentioned that trip to my dad. He asked me "Why didn't you say something?"

IMHO it's the same thing with God. Sure He knows you would love to stop the ride [because He's God and He knows everything].... but we have the power to ask or not to ask. If we don't ask.... He may not provide....

We'll see more about prayer as we read on through the New Testament. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Please pray for me this afternoon... all of a sudden I don't feel like myself.... kind of down and just a hint angry.... and I don't know what is causing it... pray that whatever this is passes.... it's not a good feeling.... thanks....