Matthew 9:18-26 Jesus Heals a sick Woman

hotcoffee

Jesus Raises a Dead Girl and Heals a Sick Woman

Matthew 9:18 "While he was saying this, a synagogue leader came and knelt before him and said, “My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live.” 19 Jesus got up and went with him, and so did his disciples.

20 Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak. 21 She said to herself, “If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed.”

22 Jesus turned and saw her. “Take heart, daughter,” he said, “your faith has healed you.” And the woman was healed at that moment.

23 When Jesus entered the synagogue leader’s house and saw the noisy crowd and people playing pipes, 24 he said, “Go away. The girl is not dead but asleep.” But they laughed at him. 25 After the crowd had been put outside, he went in and took the girl by the hand, and she got up. 26 News of this spread through all that region."​

Another of my favorites.... that's why I wanted to split them.

We assume that the woman had been suffering for some time with a feminine problem. It's not stated in the Bible that is was indeed a feminine problem but it only makes sense.... because...

In the days of Jesus there were no feminine hygiene products.... no wings...

From the times when the laws were passed down in Leviticus women who were having a monthly visit from their "friend" were considered unclean. They could not go to temple so they couldn't worship and they could not be intimate either. So this woman had been "unclean" for twelve years.

She had the feeling that all she had to do was touch the cloak of Jesus to be healed. It appears she was a little superstitious. It doesn't say anywhere in the Bible that just touching Jesus would do anything. She was part of the crowd. She had no doubt seen the healings. So when Jesus was passing to go with the little girls father.... she reached out and touched His cloak.

Jesus had to be very sensitive.... I can only imagine the hypersensitivity senses of the Son of God. She only touched the edge of His cloak while He was on His way to assist the father of the little girl.

He turned and faced her. Now if you were in a crowd to see Elvis or Paul McCartney [to use a much lesser symbol] and you touched their clothes in passing and they turned to face you.... it would be quite an experience.... I'm sure you can imagine this was a much greater experience.... I'm sure when their eyes met there was a real thrill [and even fear] that flew through that woman.

She didn't tell Jesus why she had reached out and touched Him. He knew. The verse said she said it to herself.

She had reached out though and that's all it took. Jesus told her "Take heart! Your faith has healed you". The Bible said she was healed at that moment.

I bet she followed Him for some time.

Oh and talk about your multi=tasking.... Jesus had gone from deep religious discussions with church leaders, was on the way to wake a dead little girl... and in the wink of an eye.... He discerned the true faith of a woman who touched His clothes in passing, and forgave her sins based on her faith.

What an awesome Lord!

:coffee:

countrygirl12

If you can imagine how this woman must have felt, how she was treated because she was unclean, she was alone. (Levitucus 15 goes into detail of the law).

We must admit that we need Him. Everything we have, and every breath we breathe is because of Him, our service to others our desire to do good works we can not do without Him. We are nothing without Him. When we go through trials, what do we say, "why me?"-"Help me", and who is it we turn to? "God, our Savior", only He can give us strength. The woman knew that only He could save/heal her from this disease/sin that made her unclean. She heard of Jesus, she knew he was there, her faith in Him was so great that she was healed.

The woman's healing is symbolic of Christ's power over sin, even though she was not guilty of any particular sin. If sin comes by the law, then redemption from sin comes through Christ (Rom. 3:20). Just as Christ redeemed the woman from the "curse" of her disease, we are also 'redeemed from the curse of the law' (Gal 3:13) In Romans 3:2 Paul also reaffirms that Jesus Christ "frees us from law and sin".

Last edited: