McConnell on Mexico Paying for Wall: ‘Uh, No’

Kev_Russell

Might not need a wall, merely a fence. Just Trump being elected means the illegal immigration problem was down 44% in February.

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...rks-fewest-arrests-at-border-in-recent-years/

Clearly you didn't read your own article. Or perhaps you are just plain dumb.

It doesn't say that immigration was down 44%. It said that arrests for illegal immigration are down 44%. I'm not sure how I can dumb it down enough to explain it to you, but that doesn't mean that immigration is down.

Midnightrider

I don't have a problem with Mexico paying for a wall. YOU DO! Ignorant response from an ignorant person.

Typical word-bending, liberal crybaby snowflake. Cry, cry, cry about how things are done but when it comes down to it.... you hide behind the outcomes.

Just like the libtards that omit the "illegal" part of the illegal immigrants that Trump is trying to prevent from entry. And the ones that whine about the police BUT... damn sure would be calling one if an illegal was kicking the liberalism out of you during a home invasion.

I don't have a problem with it, I just understand it's not going to happen. The 20% tariff that trump floated and then walked back would have come out of our pockets, not theirs.

There are easier ways to control illegal immigration. Make jobs and benefits impossible to get unless you have the right paperwork. Done. I just solved it for ya.

SamSpade

Clearly you didn't read your own article. Or perhaps you are just plain dumb.

It doesn't say that immigration was down 44%. It said that arrests for illegal immigration are down 44%. I'm not sure how I can dumb it down enough to explain it to you, but that doesn't mean that immigration is down.

No - it doesn't. But it scales fairly well. 10 cross, catch five. It's been typically estimated we catch half of all who cross.
All of the metrics are down in a month that usually sees an *increase* over the previous month.

One data point is not a trend, but it bodes well and makes sense.

This_person

ensible people understand that a wall at the souther border won't do squat for immigration, considering most of it doesn't actually happen through the souther border any longer.

While no one can know for sure (if we can count how many there are accurately, we must be able to see them? Surely we don't just watch them do it, right?), the current estimate is roughly 60/40 in favor of not crossing the border but rather overstaying visas.

Which means, the second half of your claim is accurate.

However, 40% is not insignificant when we're talking an estimated 500,000/year. So, to claim an impediment to illegal border crossing "won't do squat" is rather disingenuous. Certainly, it will do something to slow the flow of upwards of 40% of the illegal immigration inflow in a given year.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
However, 40% is not insignificant when we're talking an estimated 500,000/year. So, to claim an impediment to illegal border crossing "won't do squat" is rather disingenuous. Certainly, it will do something to slow the flow of upwards of 40% of the illegal immigration inflow in a given year.

:yay:

Bacon excels at that

Restitution

There are easier ways to control illegal immigration. Make jobs and benefits impossible to get unless you have the right paperwork. Done. I just solved it for ya.

Ok, now you have done something about benefits and jobs (not much but.... something)

What about those who cross specifically to commit crime? Those who are working illegally?

SamSpade

Make jobs and benefits impossible to get unless you have the right paperwork. Done. I just solved it for ya.

That IS a solution but for two things:

1. No one wants to police it and
2. There are a sizable portion of our elected officials utterly opposed to it. One can only guess they are of the opinion that illegal immigrants aren't illegal.

So - you have to get it passed - not easy - and you have to enforce it - and you have those fighting that.

SamSpade

Ok, now you have done something about benefits and jobs (not much but.... something)

What about those who cross specifically to commit crime? Those who are working illegally?

And that - I don't know how you stop that. I knew a number of guys from abroad when I lived in Boston decades ago - all working for cash, under the table.

Currently in some states, they can get all kinds of benefits for free - and they can get a driver's license.

The obstacles aren't JUST entry - we have people in this country who deliberately want to sabotage any effort to slow the rise of illegal immigration.