MD Dems want to tax your SUV $750 per year

Steve

Enjoying life!
Because of this thread, I have learned that annual awards are given out to asphalters, in many different catagories of road, for quality, durability, speed, efficiency, etc.

That must be one FUUUUNNNN awards banquet! Woohoo! :biggrin:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Voter2002 said:
Hey - I'm all for that!

You drive a tank, you pay an appropriate fee to be able to drive that tank on public roads! This is only aimed at the biggest of the big (Ford Excursion class & on up). Most of the SUV's, including some of the big ones still come in under the 6,000 lb. shipping weight.
Well you said it... "Shipping Weight" this link did not specify which weight. Is it the Gross Vehicle weight??? Curb Weight??? I already get taxed enough, being single with no deductions. So a tax on my truck would not surprise me, the way things this country is starting to turn.

SamSpade

I can't help but think this is entirely or largely due to non-SUV drivers who just don't like the bigger cars. 6000 lb *is* a lot of weight, but most of the anger I've ever heard isn't based on the gross weight. There are people who just hate SUV's.

And I've checked the numbers and read stats on the matter. Yes, SUV's waste gas (although they're MUCH better on gas than regular sedans were, say, twenty or more years ago). For some reason, people believe that wasting gas somehow drives the price of gas up. Baloney. The gas market doesn't work that way. When Cabbage Patch dolls are in short supply and the demand is high, the prices go way up. Gas is almost never in short supply - prices vary depending on a lot of factors such as the price of crude per barrel, and national demand that tends to increase in the spring.

It has *NOTHING* to do with how fuel-efficient the car is.

Secondly, stats show that people do not change their fuel budget very much with respect to car mileage. When they have have fuel-efficient cars - they carpool *LESS* and drive more. It also works the other way - when they transition to a less fuel-efficient car, they tend to *DRIVE* less and carpool more. Observations have shown that people tend to spend about the same on gas as they always do - they adjust their behavior according to what they can afford.

So what's the big deal about SUV's? Should I drive a fuel-efficient car, and forget about riding the bus into work, which I use my SUV to get to?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Spoiled said:
No one made you buy that SUV, you could have purchased a van, station wagon, or a truck... You knew you were buying something that gets 15MPG on a good day, no sympathy from me :) thats like playing with fire then #####ing that you got burned... its what fire does...

And in doing so I pay twice the amount of 'road tax' then someone that gets 28 MPG in their little car.. and I'm willing pay it, to know that if you hit me in whatever car you maybe driving, the chances of somebody in my family getting hurt are close to nil. you on the other hand may have to extract your front bumper from your rectum..
NOW for the extra $750 a year, it should come from cars getting more then say 30MPG, as they are paying a significanlty LESS amount of road tax then I am.. it's simple math.. if it escapes you, Wal-Mart has caculators for less then $5..
Now when I bought the truck I asumed that extra responsibility, changing the rules in the middle of the game, after I've owned the truck for two years is not right, unless they are willing to buy back my truck, or grandfather it from the tax unitil the time I buy a new one..

ALSO seeing how my truck will probably still be on the road in say 15 or 20 years, thats less pollution in the landfills.. less disposal costs, less waste.. less hazardous materials, then say buying a 'normal' minvan or pick up...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
POOH said:
Please tell us how you got this figure and could you give a link to anything that would come close to expaining it to be true. Thanks.
Take the weight of the vehicle spread out amongst it's contact patch with the surface of the earth.. where as a car, truck and even semi trailer have limited contact patches.. just a few sq inches per tire.. a Bradley or an M1 have immense contact patches.. usually a length of track say 18 feet long and 12 - 18 inches wide.. so 18ft X 12in X 18in X 2tracks = 7776 sq inches

48000 lbs / 7776 = 6.17 PSI

itsbob

I bowl overhand
itsbob said:
Take the weight of the vehicle spread out amongst it's contact patch with the surface of the earth.. where as a car, truck and even semi trailer have limited contact patches.. just a few sq inches per tire.. a Bradley or an M1 have immense contact patches.. usually a length of track say 18 feet long and 12 - 18 inches wide.. so 18ft X 12in X 18in X 2tracks = 7776 sq inches

48000 lbs / 7776 = 6.17 PSI

Of course if we wanted to get into specific numbers, would have to figure the surface area of the rubber track pad that is attached to each track block, the rubber track pad is actually the only contact to the ground.

And here is another question for you.. if a tank or tracked vehicle is moving down the street at 50 MPH, how fast are the track pads moving on the bottom of the track (the ones making contact with the ground)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Spoiled said:
but then you have tire width... and the pressure of the tires, flat ones will have more contact with the road... the flaw in that argument is even if the heaver vehicle applied less PSI its doing it to a larger area, which means its still adding more wear on the roads...
People in little chit boxes with studded winter tires do a hell of a lot more damage then my Land Rover will EVER do.. using that argument, people in chit boxes, that probably paid $750 for their cars, should pay the $750 annual tax..

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
And here is another question for you.. if a tank or tracked vehicle is moving down the street at 50 MPH, how fast are the track pads moving on the bottom of the track (the ones making contact with the ground)
0 mph and the ones on top are moving at twice the speed of the vehical.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
to know that if you hit me in whatever car you maybe driving, the chances of somebody in my family getting hurt are close to nil. you on the other hand may have to extract your front bumper from your rectum..
I've always felt that driving skill and awareness are safer than mass. Never understood why people feel "safe" in a vehical that's difficult to control.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
I've always felt that driving skill and awareness are safer than mass. Never understood why people feel "safe" in a vehical that's difficult to control.
There is nothing too difficult to control about my truck.. as you say, it's measured in ability. I have no trouble.
BUT I have no control over the drunk running the stop sign coming on to 235 that T-bones my truck now do I? Or what about the guy/girl going north on south bound 235? The golden BB rule, no matter how GOOD you are, somebody, someday, is going to hit you.

aps45819 said:
Never understood why people feel "safe" in a vehical that's difficult to control.
All SUVs are not alike...:nono: My Z71 Suburban handles better than a car.... awesome visibility and handling... on the other hand, I did test drive the GMC Yukon XL (same size as the suburban) and it did not handle nearly as well.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
kwillia said:
All SUVs are not alike...:nono: My Z71 Suburban handles better than a car.... awesome visibility and handling... on the other hand, I did test drive the GMC Yukon XL (same size as the suburban) and it did not handle nearly as well.
And don't forget about how exceptionally good you look behind the wheel of your Suburban. And it really is a pretty vehicle, too. :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
kwillia said:

And I LOVE the view.. I don't understand Ford's "command seating" in their new 5oo sedan... Come sit in my truck, can see EVERYTHING,and if you look around at lights you'd be REAL surprised what you may see.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BadGirl said:
And don't forget about how exceptionally good you look behind the wheel of your Suburban. And it really is a pretty vehicle, too. :yay:
DAMN, thought this post was for me until I got to the part about the Suburban.. *sniff* What am I, chopped liver??

ylexot

Super Genius
kwillia said:
My Z71 Suburban handles better than a car.
That's a pretty broad statement that's easy to prove false. I.e. - your Z71 Suburban will out-handle a Porsche? I don't think so. Even their SUV will out-handle your Suburban under any condition. And there are many cars out there that will out-handle your Suburban.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ylexot said:
That's a pretty broad statement that's easy to prove false. I.e. - your Z71 Suburban will out-handle a Porsche? I don't think so. Even their SUV will out-handle your Suburban under any condition. And there are many cars out there that will out-handle your Suburban.
My truck will outperform any porsche.. or any car for that matter in the 1/4 mile, BUT I get to pick the 1/4 mile..

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
My truck will outperform any porsche.. or any car for that matter in the 1/4 mile, BUT I get to pick the 1/4 mile..
I would be happy to race you in a Porsche Caynne turbo. Now go get me one.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
I would be happy to race you in a Porsche Caynne turbo. Now go get me one.
I would hate to be even partially responsible for the repair bills to a Porsche Cayenne.. but I would be able to tow it back homw after it broke.

Nothing but an overpriced Soccer Mom Station Wagon.. definetly NOT made for any kind of serious off roading.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
kwillia said:
All SUVs are not alike...:nono:

You're right. The ones built on a truck chassis with a high center of gravity are the crappy vehicles. Oh wait, that's pretty much all of them.

kwillia said:
My Z71 Suburban handles better than a car.... awesome visibility and handling... on the other hand, I did test drive the GMC Yukon XL (same size as the suburban) and it did not handle nearly as well.
What's the difference besides the name plate and a few body panels?