MD gets 15 mil fed money for 58 EV charging stations.

dave20

I believe we had a 5 billion dollar surplus when he came into office. Now we have a deficit and they are talking about raising taxes. Putting these things in low income areas where people can barely get by much less buy an EV is stupid. I know it's a grant but man, 15 mil for 58 charging stations! Thats like 258,000 per station.

glhs837

Power with Control
58 stations will create 600 new electrician jobs. They will be put in the lower income districts. He sees this as proof Maryland will soon be emissions free.

That 70S Show What GIF

Yeah, pretty damn stupid.

GregV814

I see "Joe's Pawn Shop and Likker sto" buying & selling slightly used "stenchion cords"
I see salvage yards shipping "storage bins" to Africa.

And I say to myself, what a wonderful world.... (Louis Armstrong)

TheRadargod

So thats $258,620 per unit. 600 electricians? Thats 10.3 electricians per unit. How maintenance intensive are these things? Does anyone in Government read these press releases, turn on a calculator and stop and say WHAT THE.......???/

PeoplesElbow

May create more demand. White women see EVs stolen in the hood, think they are the must have basic bitch accessory like the Stanley mug, cant run to buy one fast enough.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Electric school buses coming to a school system near you. The state's (MD) Climate Solutions Now Act of 2022 requires all new school bus purchases and contracts to be electric by 2025.

The local school system has been awarded $16.59 million as a winner of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s inaugural Clean School Bus program grants competition.

The funds will enable FCPS to purchase 42 electric school buses. According to its website, the district currently has eight electric buses in a fleet with 1,625 buses, but it was slated to add another 10 in 2022. FCPS didn’t respond by press time when asked to confirm whether those buses are now operating.
16,590,000 = $395,000 per bus

Clem72

May create more demand. White women see EVs stolen in the hood, think they are the must have basic bitch accessory like the Stanley mug, cant run to buy one fast enough.
I assume if there is an actual reason, it's that low income areas also often are denser housing. Apartments, houses without adjacent parking, etc.

Eventually there will be a larger used EV market, and sometimes poor people make financially irresponsible decisions (like leasing expensive flashy cars) so they will need some place to actually charge them if they can't do so at home.

PeoplesElbow

Electric school buses coming to a school system near you. The state's (MD) Climate Solutions Now Act of 2022 requires all new school bus purchases and contracts to be electric by 2025.

16,590,000 = $395,000 per bus
What are they going to do in St Marys when there are no enough buses? It will be an even bigger cluster **** than it is now. Always thought the way they do school buses here was the most screwed up thing I ever saw.

Clem72

What are they going to do in St Marys when there are no enough buses? It will be an even bigger cluster **** than it is now. Always thought the way they do school buses here was the most screwed up thing I ever saw.
What, you don't think randomly contracting to 50 different bus "companies" all of whom handle their own repairs and compete for drivers, fill-up at regular gas stations and half of which park their bus in their front yard isn't efficient?

I suppose you think one company/school district should own the busses, have dedicated drivers and mechanics, a central facility to home the busses, and their own fuel distribution would somehow be superior?

PeoplesElbow

What, you don't think randomly contracting to 50 different bus "companies" all of whom handle their own repairs and compete for drivers, fill-up at regular gas stations and half of which park their bus in their front yard isn't efficient?

I suppose you think one company/school district should own the busses, have dedicated drivers and mechanics, a central facility to home the busses, and their own fuel distribution would somehow be superior?
Call me silly that way. The bus depot for my town was beside my HS.

TPD

the poor dad

$395,000 per bus
So I'm guessing the SMC Commissioners will NOT be keeping our real-estate taxes at constant yield this year with the 25% avg increase in property values across the state. Going from $100,000 per bus to $395,000 per bus has to be paid for some kind of way, and as far as I know, the only money trees in SMC are the property owners...