Md MVA Rant

beerlover

I've read all of this and I'm still not clear on what is required. I moved out of MD in June and took my vehicles with me to PA with the MD plates. When I get the PA tags on the cars, am I required to make a trip back down to MD to turn in the tags? I have never turned in tags anywhere I've lived (VA, PA, NC)

jaie

So happy!
I've read all of this and I'm still not clear on what is required. I moved out of MD in June and took my vehicles with me to PA with the MD plates. When I get the PA tags on the cars, am I required to make a trip back down to MD to turn in the tags? I have never turned in tags anywhere I've lived (VA, PA, NC)

Yes you are required to turn your tags back in.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?

As far as I know, as soon as you take tags off of a vehicle for any reason, they are to be turned back in to MVA...But don't take my word for it...Ya see where it got me...:lmao:

beerlover

I wonder if MD can still fine me if I'm no longer a resident... I hope I don't owe a fee on those NC tags from 1984 that I still have hanging on my garage wall... That would be a biggun by now!

jaie

So happy!
I wonder if MD can still fine me if I'm no longer a resident... I hope I don't owe a fee on those NC tags from 1984 that I still have hanging on my garage wall... That would be a biggun by now!

If you never turn the tags in and you move back here and go to register a car here you will have a fine. I'm sure it would be a very big one too. Those fines get sent to collections by the MVA sooner or later too.

Last edited:

tommyjones

yes they can, and it will be attached to your license not your registration as in the past. you probably wont have to pay it unless you want to get another md license at some point, but that $7/day adds up quick.

it used to be that when you sold a vehicle all the "uninsured vehicle fines" went away. now they stay with the owner instead of the car

JimW711

Driving the Z

Because the fines are based because the vehicle has no insurance and the tags have not been turned, I'm sure that you're OK because you've kept the insurance on the vehicle up to date now that you're in Pennsylvania.

I'd still stick them in a big envelope and mail them to MVA. If you have more than 1 year left to go on the tags, you should get a refund ($64 for cars and light trucks and $90 for vehicles over 3,700 pounds) for that year.

beerlover

Because the fines are based because the vehicle has no insurance and the tags have not been turned, I'm sure that you're OK because you've kept the insurance on the vehicle up to date now that you're in Pennsylvania.

I'd still stick them in a big envelope and mail them to MVA. If you have more than 1 year left to go on the tags, you should get a refund ($64 for cars and light trucks and $90 for vehicles over 3,700 pounds) for that year.

Yeah - I haven't ever let the insurance lapse. I guess I'll either mail them in or just make a roadtrip to the closest MVA to the PA line. Pain in the butt, though, and I won't get to add the MD tags to my collection. Oh well.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
UPDATE....UPDATE...Breaking News....I called my Ins. Co. and they said because I have been with them for a long time they would kind of fudge this thing....They renewed my ins on this vehicle effective 7/17/08 and canceling it effective 7/24/08...I will have to pay a small amount for that coverage ($6.00) They file it electronically with MVA...It's all taken care of...I wish I could but I am not going to give out my Ins Co. name because they did fudge a little...I gave the agent that helped me a :huggy: over the phone right after the :buttkiss: Hey, saved me $150.00 :shrug:

And to you Mr. Perchjerker...Don't you have some perches to jerk?

JimW711

Driving the Z
Yeah - I haven't ever let the insurance lapse. I guess I'll either mail them in or just make a roadtrip to the closest MVA to the PA line. Pain in the butt, though, and I won't get to add the MD tags to my collection. Oh well.

:yay: Good idea. If you mail them, attach a letter advising them you moved to Pennsylvania and that the vehicle is now registered in Pennsylvania. If you mail them, they may want proof the vehicle was still insured, so get your insurance carrier to send you that form ahead of time, make a copy, and send it with the tags.

outlawrc

UPDATE....UPDATE...Breaking News....I called my Ins. Co. and they said because I have been with them for a long time they would kind of fudge this thing....They renewed my ins on this vehicle effective 7/17/08 and canceling it effective 7/24/08...I will have to pay a small amount for that coverage ($6.00) They file it electronically with MVA...It's all taken care of...I wish I could but I am not going to give out my Ins Co. name because they did fudge a little...I gave the agent that helped me a :huggy: over the phone right after the :buttkiss: Hey, saved me $144.00 :shrug:

And to you Mr. Perchjerker...Don't you have some perches to jerk?

:fixed: