Mechanics Help

JLS

Hi all, and please no Ford haters. Have a Ford Fusion Sport 3.5, worked fine 1 day, the next morning it wouldn't keep running. It would start and then cut right back off - did this 3 times in a row - then got it running and left and it cut off twice within a quarter mile - brought it home. Now it won't start. Replaced the fuel pump, same thing. Replaced the throttle body after reading online how alot of people with this same car has throttle body issues. If gas is poured into it (forget the name of it - on the motor itself) it starts.. we got the Haynes book - been reading on it - it says the fuel filter would never need to be replaced - but wondering what it is? battery and all thats good - the fuel pump is coming on when the car starts. Any ideas on what to check? checked the sensors for the fuel pump - all good - replaced it anyway.. thoughts? and thanks for any help..

Sorry, I don't know much about cars. Hubby says if it starts when you put gas in the carb then it's a fuel problem, not spark or likely air. So you checked fuel pump, that leaves fuel line and filter. Also try leaving the gas cap off for a while.

JLS

Sorry, I don't know much about cars. Hubby says if it starts when you put gas in the carb then it's a fuel problem, not spark or likely air. So you checked fuel pump, that leaves fuel line and filter. Also try leaving the gas cap off for a while.
Carb, thats the word I couldn't remember :roflmao: Thanks for the ideas! Appreciate it :) Will definitely try it!

JLS

Thats what we were leaning towards next, and after reading online and in the Haynes book, it keeps saying the fuel filter will never need to be replaced. So I'm like - well wtheck? lol Never heard of a filter that would never need replacing..
always start with the fuel filter

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Do you let your tank get very low on fuel before refilling? The pickup in the tank may be clogged.

Check all the fuses related to fuel pump. I had a situation many years ago where if the key was turned to the START position, the fuel pump would work and the car would start. As soon as you let the key come back to ON, the fuel pump quit and the engine stalled. Bad fuse.

I'm leaning to a clog in the fuel system somewhere.

JLS

Actually we keep all the cars full. fill up on a half tank usually. but will try to pay more attention after starting the car and the fuel pump quitting.. but I did ask him if he thought the fuel pump was working and he said yes but will definitely try it just to make sure. how do we find a clog in the fuel system? i just don't know - he might .. lol

Do you let your tank get very low on fuel before refilling? The pickup in the tank may be clogged.

Check all the fuses related to fuel pump. I had a situation many years ago where if the key was turned to the START position, the fuel pump would work and the car would start. As soon as you let the key come back to ON, the fuel pump quit and the engine stalled. Bad fuse.

I'm leaning to a clog in the fuel system somewhere.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Without even the most basic required diagnostic tools in hand, you are wasting time and money and might never find the actual problem. I work on Fords..old and new..and have for 45 years now. You need, at a minimum, a fuel pressure gauge that can connect to your fuel rail, and a decent quality code and data reader to plug in to the OBD port. With just those two diagnostic tools, you can pretty quickly eliminate a lot of possibilities and zero in on the real problem(s).

black dog

Free America
Without even the most basic required diagnostic tools in hand, you are wasting time and money and might never find the actual problem. I work on Fords..old and new..and have for 45 years now. You need, at a minimum, a fuel pressure gauge that can connect to your fuel rail, and a decent quality code and data reader to plug in to the OBD port. With just those two diagnostic tools, you can pretty quickly eliminate a lot of possibilities and zero in on the real problem(s).

Still havent learned..LOL... This weekend in Fairmont is The James Dead Fest and car bike show. I'll hot that tomorrow. I was in Jonesboro next to Gas City, for their River Bike Fest.. A few thousand baggers, clubs from all over, maybe 4 Knuckels, 1 Pan maybe 10 Shovels and a sea of new generation bagger boys and girls.
. SHOVELHEADS RULE....

Attachments

• 20210925_155522_HDR(2)(1)(1).jpg
    20210925_155522_HDR(2)(1)(1).jpg
    799.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Still havent learned..LOL... This weekend in Fairmont is The James Dead Fest and car bike show. I'll hot that tomorrow. I was in Jonesboro next to Gas City, for their River Bike Fest.. A few thousand baggers, clubs from all over, maybe 4 Knuckels, 1 Pan maybe 10 Shovels and a sea of new generation bagger boys and girls.
. SHOVELHEADS RULE....

Everywhere I took the '47 U flathead, it always drew more attention than even the wildest late model "custom" builds did.

black dog

Free America
Everywhere I took the '47 U flathead, it always drew more attention than even the wildest late model "custom" builds did.

I think I saw two or three? 45's that rode through without stopping.
I was going to take the Pan back up today... Ki..ki..kick....ki.. Ki...Kick...ki.ki.crap...ki..ki..kick.pop...ki..ki..KIck.ki.....ki...ki... Huff.huff.hufff.huff..ki.ki..KICK POPPOP... Ki...ki....Kick....Ki.ki...kick... KI...KI..KICK... pop....ki...ki...kick... Ki...ki...kick... ****ing motorcycle.. Heard neighbor laugh in his garage,
**** you too tom.... He laughed louder...

Got in the truck and went to James Dean Fest and looked at the cars and had a elephant ear...

JLS

Believe me when I say, I advised hubs to purchase a code reader over and over - hard headed - so then it became - now where like I said - replaced the fuel pump and the throttle body and its still not working. Won't start unless you put gas directly in the carb. Last night he was looking at it again and hes pulled out the ECM and asked me to look up that. Is there a tester to test that to see if its not working? before I buy that too??

QUOTE="Gilligan, post: 6328632, member: 40901"]
[/QUOTE]

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Last night he was looking at it again and hes pulled out the ECM and asked me to look up that. Is there a tester to test that to see if its not working? before I buy that too??

Yep..it's called a code reader. Only works with the ECM still fully installed though....

Can you hear the electric fuel pump prime for several seconds each time you turn the ignition key from "off" to "run" position?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
you can get a ' code ' reader in the form of a blue tooth enable device and use an app on your smart phone

make sure you get a reader compatible with the software you like

Reactions: JLS

JLS

The code we got out've that reader P0607 - P0607 Ford definition: This code basically means that the programming of the PCM/ECM (powertrain/engine control module) has failed. This can be a more serious code and may also be refered to as “ECM Internal Circuit Malfunction”.

Engine Control Module

JLS

I did ask him that question and he said the fuel pump was working.. I also read that if you unhook the neg bat cable for a few mins and then turn the ignition to "run" for a few mins (15 or so I think) to try to see if it kinda reset - if that worked and he said it didn't work.. he tried something about the bat cable and the horn? not sure what he did with that but maybe you all know what hes talking about with that ? but that didn't work either he said.

Yep..it's called a code reader. Only works with the ECM still fully installed though....

Can you hear the electric fuel pump prime for several seconds each time you turn the ignition key from "off" to "run" position?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
There comes a point where it's simply beyond someone's ability to resolve. Time to have a repair station pick it up and repair it properly.

Grumpy

1. Make sure your battery is not dying
  2. Remove the ground from the battery
  3. Check all grounds for cleanliness and tightness AND check for blown fuses
  4. Reseat the PCM
  5. After at least an hour, reinstall the ground to the battery
  6. PCM may possibly reset at this point.

If this doesn't work, you will need to call a real mechanic and it could be a bad PCM (800-1000 probably) or as simple as reprogramming the PCM.

I am not a mechanic, I just play one on my own vehicles