Media Whore Update

B

Bruzilla

I was going to make multiple posts, but since they're all about essentially the same thing...

1. Al Gore. I was flipping through the channels late friday nigh/saturday morning, and caught Al Gore talking to Conan O'Brien's on the later's show. There was Al talking his usual end-of-the-world global warming BS, and talking about how "the current administration" hasn't been doing enough and should be doing more, etc., but what I noticed was that even though Gore was throwing out his best applause lines, there was zero appause. None. Not even a single hand clap. I was going to change the channel, but I couldn't help wanting to watch Gore getting flustered by pausing his comments while he awaited an audience response and he wasn't getting anything. I kept watching because I was wondering if the interview had been taped without an audience present, and maybe that was why it was so quiet. But Gore finished his comments, and when O'Brien said something funny about books or something the audience started laughing, so they were there... but they sure didn't think much of Gore.

2. Bill Clinton. I was watching Hardball yesterday, and Chris Mathews had to break away from the coverage of the mundane fighting in Lebanon to put Bill Clinton's speech at a Joe Lieberman rally on the air live. Mathews had Democratic strategist Bob Schrum and Pat Buchanon on as Clinton took to the air. Clinton said:

"Thank you for so many things that Connecticut has given me over the years, a law school education, a wife, and a senator from New York. A long friendship with Chris Dodd, and my law school classmate Dick Bloomenthal, I want you to look up here. You talk about the vagaries of biology. Dick Blumenthal and I are the same age and I resent it. He looks 20 years younger than I do. If I would have remembered how much I resent it, I might not have come today, it‘s unbelievable.

"I am proud of his service, proud of my long friendship with Chris Dodd, which takes many twists and turns and is one of the rich blessings of my life. I am proud that I helped Joe Lieberman in 1970. I am proud that we‘ve been friends all these years, proud of his three terms in the Senate and his distinguished run for vice-president. I want you to know why I am here. And you have to for give me if I don‘t give too much of a woopty do. First of all, I am a little bit out of practice. That‘s known as the obligatory hill billy poor mouth. But that‘s really not why I‘m going to do this. I want to talk to you today because we have all the votes in here, and you need to go get the votes out there. And you have plenty of time to go get them.

"I want to tell you, I am for Joe Lieberman for reasons that have to do with yesterday, and more important, reasons that have to do with tomorrow. You heard him say that he voted for my economic plan, what he did not say is that, he was not only the first senator outside my home state to endorse me, but when he and Chris voted for that plan, it only passed by one vote. Al Gore had to break the tie because the Republicans, the same Republicans that control both the Congress and the White House today, said it would wreck the economy, and instead it gave us three balanced budgets and three surpluses in a row for the first time in 70 years.

"They have taken us, by contrast, they have taken us from a $5.8 trillion surplus over ten years to a $5.3 trillion deficit. It helped to create 22 million jobs and to move one hundred times as many people from poverty in to the middle class in our eight years as under the twelve previous Republican years, one hundred times. Don‘t ever let anybody tell you that these guys are not good Democrats. Don‘t say that about Joe Lieberman.

"He helped me move 100 times as many people out of poverty as the Republicans took out, in the job, into a future. By contrasts, they have had six years, and have had about 6 million jobs, the slowest job recovery in a half a century. The only time since economists have been keeping statistics, that the American workers have increased their productivity on the job five years in a row, and average wages have not gone up. So average wages are flat, poverty is increases and job growth is anemic. Joe supports Democratic policies."

As usual... Clinton had a hard time talking about anything but himself, and turned yet another speech that was supposed to emphasize someone else into a speech praising himself. But what surprised me was that Mathews and Shrum read the speech the same way:

MATTHEWS: Bob Shrum, there‘s the man. That guy could sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, couldn‘t he?

SHRUM: Yes, well, he is masterful. I mean, you know, he‘s engaging and people obviously love him. It‘s not clear to me that this is a speech about why people should go out and vote for Joe Lieberman, as much as it is a speech about why people should prefer the Clinton record to the Bush record.

MATTHEWS: I think I heard the same thing Bob, vote for Hillary, what do you think here Pat?

BUCHANAN: I think that reminds them of a what a great job I did and by the way, I was helped by Joe, so go with Joe.

3. John McCain. Talking about saving the lamest for last! He was on The Daily Show yesterday and just looked utterly pathetic! He almost acted like he was on some kind of sedation or something. After watching him go on there and pretty much say that everything in Iraq was a mistake, and letting Stewart say that Bush and Cheney are idiots, without challenging anything, I can't see how any Republican could ever vote for this POS.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Bruzilla said:
... but what I noticed was that even though Gore was throwing out his best applause lines, there was zero appause. None. Not even a single hand clap.
Did you not see this headline? Gore was simply road-testing his newest invention: unfunny comedy.

Bruzilla said:
3. John McCain. Talking about saving the lamest for last!
He's still a military hero!

(j/k... I know you resent that term...)

B

Bruzilla

The "saddest" part of the Gore bit was when O'Brien mentioned the possibility of Gore running for President again, and Gore paused for quite a bit before answering. You can bet he was expecting some people to applaud, but it was quiet as a tomb.

RamSRT10

8.3 V-10
Gore is just desperate for attention now. I doubt many off you have seen the South Park episode "manbearpig," but it seems like that would accurately describe him.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
RamSRT10 said:
Gore is just desperate for attention now. I doubt many off you have seen the South Park episode "manbearpig," but it seems like that would accurately describe him.
They just played that episode last night :roflmao: