Merry Christmas Israel "Trump to bestow Jerusalem as Israel's capital"

SamSpade

This can't be right... the middle east seems to still be quiet today.

Maybe they're playing it smart, for once. You can't claim the moral high ground if you go all ballistic and blow stuff up when you feel insulted.

Three days of rage would tend to *confirm* that what Trump did was right.

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe they're playing it smart, for once. You can't claim the moral high ground if you go all ballistic and blow stuff up when you feel insulted.

Three days of rage would tend to *confirm* that what Trump did was right.

Read any good Korans lately?

Starman

http://non-intervention.com/3084/president-trump-do-you-have-any-idea-of-what-america-first-means/

President Trump: Do you have any idea of what America First means?

The Article said:
Your decision on Jerusalem, and the speech in which you announced it, are as far from any form of an America First foreign policy as it is possible to be. Your speech was a grab-bag of tired rhetoric, earnest platitudes, and wishful thinking, much like your earlier speech on Afghanistan. Your citing of the Congress’s near unanimous support for moving the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem, moreover, suggests we elected the wrong man to go after and eliminate the corruption that has engulfed the national government. The near-unanimity of Congress, as you must know, is bought by the bribes disguised as campaign contributions paid to the so-called representatives of the citizenry by the disloyal political, social, and financial leaders of the Jewish-American community, and their enforcers in such propaganda outlets like Commentary, the Weekly Standard, Forward, and others.

SamSpade

President Trump: Do you have any idea of what America First means?

Kind of disingenuous - it's not as though the left didn't think the entire concept of "America First" was disgraceful during the campaign.
I understood it to mean to remove ourselves from foreign entanglements, and yeah, it's true that this declaration doesn't advance that.

But that's not the reason the left is in a kerfuffle over this - they historically have opposed U.S. support of Israel - and this is U.S. support of Israel.
It might be better if they just start with that, rather than pretending that America First has any meaning to them.

Starman

Kind of disingenuous - it's not as though the left didn't think the entire concept of "America First" was disgraceful during the campaign.
I understood it to mean to remove ourselves from foreign entanglements, and yeah, it's true that this declaration doesn't advance that.

But that's not the reason the left is in a kerfuffle over this - they historically have opposed U.S. support of Israel - and this is U.S. support of Israel.
It might be better if they just start with that, rather than pretending that America First has any meaning to them.

The author, Scheuer, isn’t “left”. Read some more of his material.

Why do some people live in such a binary world?

glhs837

Power with Control
I would say that to most thinking people, America First doesnt always means America Only. Only sociopaths have no friends that they stand up for. I'm about as insular a person as you will find, but even I have a short list of people I would put myself second for. Especially when the people against them have proven themselves to be less than stellar folks themselves.

Starman

I would say that to most thinking people, America First doesnt always means America Only. Only sociopaths have no friends that they stand up for. I'm about as insular a person as you will find, but even I have a short list of people I would put myself second for. Especially when the people against them have proven themselves to be less than stellar folks themselves.

Nothing there to disagree with, but nations cannot be “friends”; they can only have common interests.

SamSpade

The author, Scheuer, isn’t “left”. Read some more of his material.

Why do some people live in such a binary world?

I did. I wasn't commenting on *HIM* or his opinion. Just the left. Maybe I should have made that more clear.

I noticed that it was a Wordpress blog, so I scoured around. (I noticed, because *I* have one too).
On some issues, he's actually more to the right than I am - e.g. his article saying guns are there in the Constitution to remove American tyrants.

SamSpade

Nothing there to disagree with, but nations cannot be “friends”; they can only have common interests.

THIS is something I've said for many years, although I would put a couple exceptions - we do have a relationship with the U.K. unlike any other, and for many reasons.
This may yet change, but the 'special' relationship does closely resemble a friendship, albeit a rocky one.

Nevertheless, yes, nations have allies, not friends. Moreover, nations do not have a soul, so as an entity, they do not have morals.
Their people do, but the nation does not.

Starman

I did. I wasn't commenting on *HIM* or his opinion. Just the left. Maybe I should have made that more clear.

I noticed that it was a Wordpress blog, so I scoured around. (I noticed, because *I* have one too).
On some issues, he's actually more to the right than I am - e.g. his article saying guns are there in the Constitution to remove American tyrants.

Fair enough on the first point...

He's written quite a few good books worth reading as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Scheuer

Baker12

Havent the past few Presidents said that they were going to recognize the capital of Israel to be Jerusalem, but none followed through because they lacked two large balls necessary? Until Trump came along, who actually followed through

glhs837

Power with Control

Point taken. At that, the point stands. If there is any nation with whom we share more intertests than Isreal in the region, I cant imagine who that might be. I visited a few nations in the region over time, and the two I felt safest in were Saudi and Isreal. But I felt most at home in Isreal, since I didn't have to worry about accidentially getting on the wrong side of the Religious Police and I had a pretty high certainty that everyone I saw with an automatic weapon slung would be doing what I would consider the Right Thing, whereas in Saud I would reduce that confidence considerably.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Nazareth cuts back Christmas celebrations to protest Trump's Jerusalem move

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...o-protest-trumps-jerusalem-move-idUSKBN1E82AM
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Nazareth, the Israeli Arab city where Jesus is thought to have been raised, has canceled some Christmas celebrations in protest at U.S. President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, an official said.
Trump announced the move last week, reversing decades of U.S. policy and recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, jeopardizing Middle East peace efforts and upsetting the Arab world and Western allies alike.

Nazareth, the largest Arab town in Israel with a Muslim and Christian population of 76,000, is one of the Holy Land’s focal points of Christmas festivities.

“We have decided to cancel the traditional Christmas singing and dancing because we are in a time of dispute, because of what Trump has said about Jerusalem,” city spokesman Salem Sharara said.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Within an hour of the announcement, the Palestinian towns of Bethlehem, Jesus’s traditional birthplace, and Ramallah in the Israeli-occupied West Bank briefly switched off their Christmas lights in protest.

How many of you noticed?

Hijinx

THIS is something I've said for many years, although I would put a couple exceptions - we do have a relationship with the U.K. unlike any other, and for many reasons.
This may yet change, but the 'special' relationship does closely resemble a friendship, albeit a rocky one.

Nevertheless, yes, nations have allies, not friends. Moreover, nations do not have a soul, so as an entity, they do not have morals.
Their people do, but the nation does not.

We did have a relationship with the UK before the Muslims moved in.

Hard to believe a citizenry that fought so hard in WW2 gave in to the Islam invasion so easily.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Israeli minister to name train station for 'Trump the Brave'

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...p/news-story/c042ae10349b35219bd35a886e86ba5d

A train station set to be built near the Western Wall in Jerusalem's Old City will be named after US President Donald Trump, an Israeli minister says.

Transportation Minister Israel Katz said the decision about the "holiest site for the Jewish people" was taken in response to Trump's "brave and historic decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of the State of Israel."