Misskitty's Kitten.....

morningbell

hmmmmmm
It's MK's kitty because he picked it out. She was with me full time before he was. She was 7 weeks old when I brought her home and 8 weeks old when I took her momma from my mom and brought her home. She's only about 5 months old.

I don't know to be fact but I feel that female cats are biatchy and are kind of a 1 person kitty where as male cats are cool with everyone. Save for my last cat (male) who HATED my ex, he knew my ex was a bastage. All the other male cats were very friendly. She is fixed right?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Female cats are beotches (we have one, but the other 4 are males).

Best combination:
female dogs with male cats.

But, I do have to say that female cats are better killers.

We have 4 girls and 1 boy cat and a female dog.

The dog doesn't get along with ANY other dog but LOVES the cats.

All of the cats are very good with us minus the one kitten. I think maybe she just didn't bond with her people because I brought her momma back to her. You're right about male cats though. Boy kitty is a beast and other than the slightly brain damaged female kitten he is the best. I could do without all the presents he leaves me though. Last was a mouse he left next to my car with bite marks in it's head. :dead:

I've had kittens/cats that were standoffish to other people but have never had one that will not let me pet it.

HORUS

Better than YOU.
I don't know to be fact but I feel that female cats are biatchy and are kind of a 1 person kitty where as male cats are cool with everyone. She is fixed right?

Are you talking about pixie or all other cats in general? I'm confused.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
One of ours, Juliet, doesn't like to be loved on either. She's wary of people - but she loves the other cats and rubs all over them. She also *loves* food, so we're making sure that we give her pets and scritches while she eats, so she associates us with food, and now she's starting to come around and let us love on her. It's been a few months, but it's slowly working.

So, I guess is your kitten standoffish with just you or people in general or everyone (the other animals included)? That will give you some clue if you can change her mind somehow like we're doing with Juliet.

Denise

She plays with the other kitten and snuggles with her momma. She's standoffish with all people. I've tried to pet her while she's eating and she backs up. She will however eat cat treats out of my hand. She will tolerate petting for a second if she's sleeping.

On a related note, we've never heard her purr. All the other cats do it but she doesn't.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I don't know to be fact but I feel that female cats are biatchy and are kind of a 1 person kitty where as male cats are cool with everyone. Save for my last cat (male) who HATED my ex, he knew my ex was a bastage. All the other male cats were very friendly. She is fixed right?

She's a no person cat. She nor the other kitten are fixed yet. They're 5 months old and strictly indoor cats and boy kitty is fixed as are the other 2 girls. Both kittens will be getting fixed and declawed after Christmas.

HORUS

Better than YOU.
She's a no person cat. She nor the other kitten are fixed yet. They're 5 months old and strictly indoor cats and boy kitty is fixed as are the other 2 girls. Both kittens will be getting fixed and declawed after Christmas.

OMG!:faint: Pixie has turned into the old cat lady. :cds:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Are you talking about pixie or all other cats in general? I'm confused.
I'm talking about the cat :biggrin:

Maybe she will figure it out after her surgery or needs more time to know what the hell is going on. I get annoyed that I can't snuggle BF's kitty as much as I'd like to, I never had an indoor cat that a wasn't snuggly sweetheart. Good luck :huggy:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
We have 4 girls and 1 boy cat and a female dog.

The dog doesn't get along with ANY other dog but LOVES the cats.

All of the cats are very good with us minus the one kitten. I think maybe she just didn't bond with her people because I brought her momma back to her. You're right about male cats though. Boy kitty is a beast and other than the slightly brain damaged female kitten he is the best. I could do without all the presents he leaves me though. Last was a mouse he left next to my car with bite marks in it's head. :dead:

I've had kittens/cats that were standoffish to other people but have never had one that will not let me pet it.
Our one female cat does not like to be held.
The only time I get to pick her up, is when I go to open the door to let her out (and grab the little beotch). But that doesn't last long, she still has her nails (as all cats should), and lets me know that she had enough.

denisend

That's a good sign - eventually (months or years) that you should have a petable kitty - but maybe not ever a snuggly one. Some cats aren't ever snuggly. Yates (in my icon) loves to be petted by EVERYONE, but is NOT a snuggler. He wants to sit right next to you and get petted.

With Juliet and the food thing, we first started with just "touch me to be able to eat" (just put your hand in between her and the bowl of food). She's a smart cookie and quickly we were getting headbutts at mealtime. Then we were demanding that we be allowed to pet her more and more before she be allowed to eat. The key is to watch her and GO SLOW. You want to avoid the back up response (it means that she's scared and you're undoing some of your work).

At first, leave her alone except at mealtimes (or treats). Again, you want to only associate yourself with good things. Eventually, start trying to pet her in other areas of the house, too, but watch closely so that you back away before she gets scared enough that she backs away. It takes a lot of patience and practice. (Watch for tail and back twitches, also tenseness)

During other times, don't stare at her (that's threatening), but you can slowly blink (that means I trust you). Sometimes I catch myself watching Juliet and I turn it into a slow blink to make it non-threatening (Juliet is gorgeous and it's hard NOT to watch her when she decides to make an appearance).

Hopefully the surgery will help sort out your kitten; Juliet grew up with a hoarder so that's why she has such trust issues.

You mentioned her Mom - what's the kitten's Mom's background? Your kitten may have learned not to trust people from her Mom (a friend of mine has a cat like that - the cat has never had a bad thing happen to it, but acts like it lived on the street because its Mom did).

Good luck,
Denise

She plays with the other kitten and snuggles with her momma. She's standoffish with all people. I've tried to pet her while she's eating and she backs up. She will however eat cat treats out of my hand. She will tolerate petting for a second if she's sleeping.

On a related note, we've never heard her purr. All the other cats do it but she doesn't.

Cowgirl

My female cat loves to be held and petted ALL the time. Both the boys like to sit in laps and be petted also, but Jack gets tired of that after a few minutes. I have very nice kitties. :smile:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
That's a good sign - eventually (months or years) that you should have a petable kitty - but maybe not ever a snuggly one. Some cats aren't ever snuggly. Yates (in my icon) loves to be petted by EVERYONE, but is NOT a snuggler. He wants to sit right next to you and get petted.

With Juliet and the food thing, we first started with just "touch me to be able to eat" (just put your hand in between her and the bowl of food). She's a smart cookie and quickly we were getting headbutts at mealtime. Then we were demanding that we be allowed to pet her more and more before she be allowed to eat. The key is to watch her and GO SLOW. You want to avoid the back up response (it means that she's scared and you're undoing some of your work).

At first, leave her alone except at mealtimes (or treats). Again, you want to only associate yourself with good things. Eventually, start trying to pet her in other areas of the house, too, but watch closely so that you back away before she gets scared enough that she backs away. It takes a lot of patience and practice. (Watch for tail and back twitches, also tenseness)

During other times, don't stare at her (that's threatening), but you can slowly blink (that means I trust you). Sometimes I catch myself watching Juliet and I turn it into a slow blink to make it non-threatening (Juliet is gorgeous and it's hard NOT to watch her when she decides to make an appearance).

Hopefully the surgery will help sort out your kitten; Juliet grew up with a hoarder so that's why she has such trust issues.

You mentioned her Mom - what's the kitten's Mom's background? Your kitten may have learned not to trust people from her Mom (a friend of mine has a cat like that - the cat has never had a bad thing happen to it, but acts like it lived on the street because its Mom did).

Good luck,
Denise

Her mom was a kitten of mine. My mom had to have a cat put down was over visiting one day, burst into tears while petting the kitten and asked if she could have her. Bailey was about 5-6 months old at the time and a strictly indoor cat. Mom lets her out before getting her spayed and within a couple months she's knocked up. I agreed to take a kitten and the other half picked her out. My mom then asks if I'll take Bailey back because my dad won't let her keep a kitten. When the kittens were weaned at 7 weeks I took the kitten home and when she gave away the other two that she didn't want a week later and had Bailey spayed I took her as well. Bailey

Bailey before my mom's house was a very sweet kitten. That was half the reason my mom wanted her so bad. She'd run up to anyone and want to be held and loved on. Now she will love on you, talk to you to let you know she wants to be petted but will have nothing to do with being held.

Declawed? :nono:

Concur.
My wife says so.

:yeahthat:

Not very nice for the cat, especially if the cat accidentally gets out, no defense. You might want to look into these....

Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats

It's not not nice for the cat either so long as you have it done with a lazer. I've personally witnessed my oldest cat as well as hundreds of others being done. There is no pain, no pain medication and they are on thier feet as soon as they wake up. It's not brutal like the old school scalple (sp?) way where they had to virtually cut off blood supply to the feet, bandage, administer pain meds etc.

I believe letting cats outside is far more cruel. All my girl cats are strickly indoor cats and I would not have it any other way. I allow my boy cat outside only because he will piss on things if I don't. He constantly has some sort of little scab or something on him from I assume his adventors through the woods and a couple months ago had his tail mashed on both sides, the hair still hasn't grown back fully from the injury.

I understand that many people don't understand modern declawing and are misconceived about what it entails but in my house it's a far better option that a lifetime of terrorizing my cats by either putting ineffective softpaws on them, scaring them away when I catch them clawing, etc.