Modular Homes?

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
No, I'm not talking Trailors...

The mate and I are considering the purchase of a five acre lot in lower St. Mary's, where we'd like to build a house.

I've heard horror stories about how long it takes/what it costs to have a site-built home put on a piece of land down here....and frankly the builders I've spoken to have not impressed me. A buddy was telling me that modular homes (that are constructed in pieces at the factory, trucked to the site, and put together there) are actually built better so as to withstand the transportation process, and also that they are much cheaper....So here are my questions:

Does anyone here have a modular built home? Is it constructed well? How much do they run? Which company did you use?

Advice would be much appreciated---thanks!

We have a member on here who works for a M.H. dealer. ask nicely and maybe she will give you the skinny.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
modular homes are a good choice right now. are built with 2x6 at the factory where there's better quality control. they also have many new styles and are not limited to the basic rectangular boxes anymore. Check out the homes just north of Hughesville on the left side of 5 as you head into waldorf.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
SuperGrover said:
modular homes are a good choice right now. are built with 2x6 at the factory where there's better quality control. they also have many new styles and are not limited to the basic rectangular boxes anymore. Check out the homes just north of Hughesville on the left side of 5 as you head into waldorf.

American Dreams in Hughesville.....My work takes me into many new homes and the modular homes are very nice....There is a WIDE selection of models and floor plans....You can get one story, two story, garages....Pretty much anything you want....It won't hurt to look at them...

CMC122

Go Braves!
SuperGrover said:
I actually saw a show on modular homes and their spect's are much higher in quality then stick built because they have to travel and such. You can get some great homes!

robbie

Modular

Hi, we too are considering and known people who get just as much for theirs resale as the ones around them. Most of the new home communities are so close to modular since they ship large pieces of them in but they just omit "modular" Take a gander at www.emodulars.com. If you type in modular you get to see so many homes including interior tours that are great. Good luck. We just are flipped out about the price of lots now.

ladderpipe

My son bought on 4 years ago from American Dreams in Hughesville. Cost 75,000. They bent over backwards to please him. Very satisfied with it. Added a 3 car garage with a large room over it. with well and septic and the garage he has 140,000 in it. He could sell it tomorrow for at least 300,000. sits on 7 acres of land in tax hell Calvert County.

willie

EmnJoe said:
I don't think there is a good resale on them.
:boo: :nono: :bs:
I defy you to tell the difference between a well built stick home and a well built MODULAR home. We are not talking double wide trailer here.

Last edited:

watercolor

yeah yeah
The only thing with a mod add.. is you really cant do a "up" add because the integrity of the house is not noted and its a bigger mess than needed... now if you do a rambler or side add then its all good :)

Last edited:

CMC122

Go Braves!
watercolor said:
The only thing with a mod add.. is you really cant do a "up" add because the integrity of the house is not noted and its a bigger mess than needed... not if you do a rambler or side add then its all good :)
Yeah, we checked into that. We are definately gonna do a side add so we can still live here while it get's done:yay: I can't wait for that day to come!

Thanks!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
They're built inside using jigs to insure accuracy. More likely to built by somebody that didn't drink their lunch.

willie

It is a shame that they get such a bad rap. In every case I've heard, it is from someone that has them confused with mobile homes.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
EmnJoe said:
I don't think there is a good resale on them.
Depending on where it is, I don't think it's modular status has to be disclosed. And often, by the time you read the disclosures, you already like the house and it doesn't matter.

We looked at one once, I think it was in Pennsylvania, the whole neighborhood was zoned as a trailer park :rolleyes: But all the houses were two story colonials and victorians. Down here, in MD, I've heard stories of people buying older "modulars" and on home inspection, discovered they were in fact double-wides, still had the axles on them.

So, you could buy a modular in MD and never know it. But when we were looking, they actually used it as a selling point. I believe code has stick built houses requiring studs to be 24" apart on center, where modulars are 16", I think, so they can withstand the travel.