mole cricket????

M

MEJABoxers

EWWWWWW....anybody seen these creepy things before?

Oh they are nasty....when I woke up for work at 3 a.m....I get my coffee turn on the weather channel and my adorable Boxer is contently watching something on the floor....I look to see what it is and :faint::

I started screaming, husband comes running, bumping into walls, stubbed his toe and then shouts "Just a da*m bug!" and proceeds to stumble back to bed....leaving me in the living room alone with this nasty a*s thing!

here's what it looked like!
weird bug - BugGuide.Net

lisa8439

eew that looks like a frog.... :cds: Haven't seen those around, thank goodness. I have seen some NASTY looking fly/bee/wasp hybrid things flying around. I killed two in our house (kids leave the door open to go play) and they really freaked me out. I wouldn't even know how to find a picture of it, but I've never seen anything like it before. It had the head of a fly, with the HUGE eyes, but the body of a wasp/bee - big, with a stinger at the end. Wings like a fly... at least an inch and a half long. Ugly suckers.

innocent

undercover

Oh they are nasty....when I woke up for work at 3 a.m....I get my coffee turn on the weather channel and my adorable Boxer is contently watching something on the floor....I look to see what it is and :faint::

I started screaming, husband comes running, bumping into walls, stubbed his toe and then shouts "Just a da*m bug!" and proceeds to stumble back to bed....leaving me in the living room alone with this nasty a*s thing!

weird bug - BugGuide.Net

OMG yes. they are the craziest looking things. when i was a kid we always saw the "normal" black crickets sometimes brown. But now i never see those. its these wierd bubble back freakish bugs. how did they get here and what happen to our normal ones?:shocking:.. well after looking mole crickets up i see that they arent what im talking about. the ones ive seen are cave crickets or camel crickets but either what what happen to the regular ones???

Last edited:
G

Gemmi

weird bug - BugGuide.Net

EEWWW! That thing is disgusting. :faint:

onebdzee

off the shelf
Spider Cricket - BugGuide.Net

these guys are breeding somewhere in my garage and when I open the door to let the doors out, there is about a hundred of them waiting to either come in my house or go out in the yard with the dogs

I wouldn't have an issue with them if my spider liked to eat them(apparently they taste bad) and they didn't bite(and yea, they do bite)

millertc

weird bug - BugGuide.Net

OMG. I have never seen one of those before but I would shiat if I did. Ewwww.

Purplefox

I AM an enigma

these guys are breeding somewhere in my garage and when I open the door to let the doors out, there is about a hundred of them waiting to either come in my house or go out in the yard with the dogs

I wouldn't have an issue with them if my spider liked to eat them(apparently they taste bad) and they didn't bite(and yea, they do bite)

I have those in my garage too! They are creepy and can jump like 5 million feet in the air! Ok, I exaggerated, maybe 2 million...

M

MEJABoxers

OMG yes. they are the craziest looking things. when i was a kid we always saw the "normal" black crickets sometimes brown. But now i never see those. its these wierd bubble back freakish bugs. how did they get here and what happen to our normal ones?:shocking:

ooh the ones that jump 6' in the air!??! Camel Cricket - Diestrammena asynamora - BugGuide.Net

Oh they gross me out....it's too funny how I'm not afraid of snakes....but absolutely and completely freaked out by a bug! Now since trying to find out what that thing was, looking at all those pages now I have the creepy crawlies!

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome

:jameo:Sprickets :jameo:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
eew that looks like a frog.... :cds: Haven't seen those around, thank goodness. I have seen some NASTY looking fly/bee/wasp hybrid things flying around. I killed two in our house (kids leave the door open to go play) and they really freaked me out. I wouldn't even know how to find a picture of it, but I've never seen anything like it before. It had the head of a fly, with the HUGE eyes, but the body of a wasp/bee - big, with a stinger at the end. Wings like a fly... at least an inch and a half long. Ugly suckers.

Sounds like a horsefly..

http://www.zianet.com/pestman/images/Horsefly.JPG
http://blogs.japanesepod101.com/files/2008/06/horsefly.jpg

M

MEJABoxers

:shocking:

Okay NOW when we go to sleep tonight are these things going to be crawling all over us????

:cds:

onebdzee

off the shelf
:jameo:Sprickets :jameo:

I've always called them cave crickets....any way you call them, they are just a pain in the ass

Had one sitting on the top of my dresser the other morning staring at me....needless to say, it was dead on my floor right in front of that dresser a second later *flexingmuscles*

innocent

undercover
ok while we are on the bug conversation, is anyone having trouble with excessive spiders this year. they are all over the place(in the house) and outside. ahhh. even thought about calling an exterminator. they are that bad

M

MEJABoxers

Yes! Sitting at the computer caught something out of the corner of my eye.....wolf spider biggest I ever seen...lol...hubby even shivered about that one!

lisa8439

I thought it was a horsefly at first... I have seen many of those on the eastern shore growing up. But these things were BIGGER than a horsefly and had a more segmented body - like a wasp. Plus a stinger on the end - I actually caught one inbetween the window pane and the screen and it eventually died then I got a good look at it. I should have taken pictures....

wait, maybe I did... hmm...
edit - nope, couldn't find a picture. darn - maybe it's still in the window :lol:

Last edited:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
I thought it was a horsefly at first... I have seen many of those on the eastern shore growing up. But these things were BIGGER than a horsefly and had a more segmented body - like a wasp. Plus a stinger on the end - I actually caught one inbetween the window pane and the screen and it eventually died then I got a good look at it. I should have taken pictures....

wait, maybe I did... hmm...
edit - nope, couldn't find a picture. darn - maybe it's still in the window :lol:

Was it a mud dauber?

http://www.afpmb.org/pubs/Field_Guide/Images/originals/Fig. 120.jpg
http://www.fumexpro.com/img1/Mud Daubers.jpg