Montessori Schools

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Frank is right! I'm a product for public schools here in Charles County and my kids will never go there! It's nothing but a show! If I could afford to put them in Montessori school I would!

SmallTown

Football season!
My only notion is that the world is full of diversity. The more you know about it, the better off you will be. I am just for a broader exposure at an early age to offset the culture shock as they get older. The person I mentioned that didn't even know that not everyone celebrated christmas had a hard time understanding some things when he got to college. In his christian school, he was taught that everything in life fit into a nice white box.. Anything outside of the box wasn't actually bad, because it was never discussed in the first place. I had a chance to take a class on Eastern Religions with him and he about flipped.. He quickly found out that everything wasn't so cut and dry and that there was actually a different side to everything he had been taught. Were the things he was taught wrong? Probably not. But his education was limited. He quickly realized that this strong pillar he had built his life upon wasn't so sturdy after all, and it scared him to death. Letting go of this pillar is so much easier when you know there are other ones waiting to support you..

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by BchBns

well, that's fine and dandy and all, but public schools can't talk about religion -- Not Any ... I'd rather my daughter go to catholic school and learn some solid morals/values to life and something about religion than take a stab at her not learning about any in public school ... aside from what I teach her, of course.

No, they can't.. But the students talk among themselves quite a bit..

Christy

b*tch rocket
Anything outside of the box wasn't actually bad, because it was never discussed in the first place. I had a chance to take a class on Eastern Religions with him and he about flipped.. He quickly found out that everything wasn't so cut and dry and that there was actually a different side to everything he had been taught. Were the things he was taught wrong? Probably not. But his education was limited. He quickly realized that this strong pillar he had built his life upon wasn't so sturdy after all, and it scared him to death. Letting go of this pillar is so much easier when you know there are other ones waiting to support you..

Well then I guess he wasn't quite the "Christian" he thought he was then. We all have to grow up and go out in the great big world and come to terms that things aren't as cut and dry as they were when we were children. It's called life. Why drown our kids in adult issues? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I prefer my kids to actually have a childhood, the few years where they don't have to worry about the "shades of gray".

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Ummmm. Small Town. In school theres NO talk of God and the bible, not even in the small groups. It's more like drugs, sex, and parties! And how long have you been out of school?

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Christy

Well then I guess he wasn't quite the "Christian" he thought he was then.

Yes, that was one of the biggest concerns he had when he started learning new things

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by missi1013
Ummmm. Small Town. In school theres NO talk of God and the bible, not even in the small groups. It's more like drugs, sex, and parties! And how long have you been out of school?

Must be a Southern Maryland thing because we were always curious about others and people were open when talking about their different cultures and heritages. My niece is in school and things haven't changed since I was there. I'm sorry the schools here are not the same way..

If the kids are ONLY talking about drugs, sex, and parties I would have to say the parents are not doing their jobs. I guess the parents are not encouraging their kids to learn about other cultures and such.. If you don't take time to understand difference people, it could be pretty embarassing. You say people are just people, but what if you find this perfect lady (or guy) who just lights up your life.. You invite him/her over for a first date and you decide to cook dinner. He/She mentions they are muslim and you find it quite interesting and don't see any problem dating a non-christian.. You serve him/her their plate with a nice thick juicy pork chop on it.. Depending on the person, they may simple decline the meal or they may become rather upset and simply leave.. Not only are you embarassed, but you may have missed an opportunity to be with someone really terrific.

Education kids about cultures doesn't take away their child hood.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: who's fault is that?

didn't his parents do anything to further his knowledge beyond catholic school about other religions? I mean, if I send my daughter to catholic school, I hardly expect her to come home and discuss muslim culture or judaism.

That is just it.. His parents where brought up the same way, and so were there parents.. It was the way they knew things, and they passed that along to their child since they did not know any other way.

If your're around muslims, jews, etc then it is entirely possible that your child may come home and ask you about them. Much like they may ask your help in math or history.. Most kids want to learn as much as they can, but they can not ask the questions if they are unware of the questions to ask.

SmallTown

Football season!

I'd hope that, upon learning that the person is not muslim and they invited a muslim, that the muslim might make mention of this.

We can't even get women to tell us what they really want, we're supposed to expect someone who has never eaten pork in his life (without a second thought) mention this before dinner?

SmallTown

Football season!
kids in school (with the exception of the doogie howsers) for the most part don't have the life experience and interactions with people to grasp the depth of the various religions and cultures;

Bingo.. The more interactions, the better.. The more exposure you have, the easier it is to "grasp" these ideas.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown

We can't even get women to tell us what they really want, we're supposed to expect someone who has never eaten pork in his life (without a second thought) mention this before dinner?

If somebody had special dietary needs, regardless of whether it is based on religion, allergies, or personal preference, I would hope they would say so beforehand.

I am highly sensitive to foods with MSG in them, and I have NO problem telling someone I am having dinner with about it. I would hope if I invited a vegan to dinner, they would tell me first so I don't plop a big ol' juicy steak ( :yum: ) in front of them.

Same goes for someone with dietary constraints based on their religion. If I invited a practicing Catholic over for dinner on Friday, I would hope they would tell me beforehand they can only have fish.

SmallTown

Football season!

Agreed, but let's be real, here. Who'd you rather learn the facts about another religion from? Your 50-year-old, never-stepped-outside-the-school-grounds teacher, or an actual muslim or jewish person over a mutually pleasing dinner of eachother's choice?

I'm talking about learning from other kids you interact with at school.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Must be a Southern Maryland thing because we were always curious about others and people were open when talking about their different cultures and heritages. My niece is in school and things haven't changed since I was there. I'm sorry the schools here are not the same way..

And what school did you attend? UN High? :rolleyes: "Today's lesson will be Pork, and it's impact on diversity". :wink:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by jazz lady

If somebody had special dietary needs, regardless of whether it is based on religion, allergies, or personal preference, I would hope they would say so beforehand.

Well, you see.. It is NOT a "special" dietary need to them..

Much like we wouldn't dare (well, most of us) eat a dog, but in some countries this is highly acceptable.. I really doubt you would just walk into a restaurant and say "I'll take anything but dog", especially if you had no idea that dog was an option.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Christy

And what school did you attend? UN High? :rolleyes: "Today's lesson will be Pork, and it's impact on diversity". :wink:

A regular ol public school in Virginia, nothing out of the ordinary.. I wasn't taught these things by the teachers.. I became exposed to the jewish culture in second grade when I became friends with this jewish girl.. I learned a little about muslims when I became friends with a kid from Pakistan in the 4th grade.. A little about hindu when I became friends with a guy from india in the 6th grade. Nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't come out thinking I was an expert in these religions, but I found it interesting (so did others in my classes) and learned a few things along the way.

SmallTown

Football season!
I grew up in the a small town about 4 hours south west of DC.. I really doubt We had a DC influence. It was an area very similar to here, which is why I am so surprised at the differences.

Christy

b*tch rocket
A regular ol public school in Virginia, nothing out of the ordinary.. I wasn't taught these things by the teachers.. I became exposed to the jewish culture in second grade when I became friends with this jewish girl.. I learned a little about muslims when I became friends with a kid from Pakistan in the 4th grade.. A little about hindu when I became friends with a guy from india in the 6th grade. Nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't come out thinking I was an expert in these religions, but I found it interesting (so did others in my classes) and learned a few things along the way.

Yeah, well I had my share of cultural exchanges when I was a kid. They weren't Jewish, they were Catholic! :wink: I still haven't been able to grasp the signifigance of having a polka band at every Catholic wedding, but hey, I went with the flow! :wink:

BudoPo

OK, I haven't posted in a while, but I think I can chime in on this one.

I went to public schools in New York City, just about as diverse a city as you can get. I had friends of all sorts of religious backgrounds: Jewish (myself), Muslim, and several Christian denominations (no Hindus until an Indian girlfriend I had after college). We all got along pretty well. The general attitude was "You're ____? OK. Cool." and that was it. We never really gave it much thought. They had their holidays and practises, we had ours, and there ya go.

It's kind of interesting that I've looked into my religion more than I have in a long time since I moved down here (in 1996). Since there are so few Jews here, I get a lot of questions about it. So, actually, having a small Jewish community actually helped me learn about it.

I've also had to deal with the pork issue (among the myriad other kosher dietary laws). Usually, if I'm in a restaurant, I just don't order something that's not kosher, or I ask for it cooked in kosher way (e.g., telling them to hold the cheese on some meat dish). If I'm having dinner at a friend's house, then I just don't eat anything not kosher. Sometimes they ask beforehand, but usually I just don't think to tell them. So, sometimes I go hungry, but usually it just means when the plate of spare ribs comes my way, I just pass it along.

BTW, Rosh Hashanah begins tonight - the Jewish New Year, 5763.

Frank

Chairman of the Board

I really doubt you would just walk into a restaurant and say "I'll take anything but dog", especially if you had no idea that dog was an option.

No but I think I WILL, *now* -- that's hysterical!!

H

Heretic

Well, you see.. It is NOT a "special" dietary need to them..

Much like we wouldn't dare (well, most of us) eat a dog, but in some countries this is highly acceptable.. I really doubt you would just walk into a restaurant and say "I'll take anything but dog", especially if you had no idea that dog was an option.

Yes but they are in America and we eat pork here. If I went to Korea I would sure as hell make sure I wasnt eating dog.

It really irks me when someone moves here and then expects everything to follow their culture.

A friend moved here from China when he was 3 with his parents and they forbid him to have an American girlfriend, Hello you moved here you got to expect to be part of the culture.