Motorcycle Help

TBone

I purchased a 1993 Sportster Hugger 883 April 2005 for about the same amount of money...my 1st bike.

I, personally feel this is a good bike to start out on. Although, they are top heavy but easy to manage. We all have to start somewhere...go for it!!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
sanchezf said:
Ok since you guys seem to know a little something

Should I go to a course to learn or is having a friend teach me just as well?
The course at CSM provides the bikes. You won't be dropping the pretty new bike you just bought on the pavement, you'll be dropping theirs :lol:
Also the Motorcycle Safety Course completion certificate will get you the "M" endorsement, you'll still need to take the driving test if your friend shows you.

Pete

Repete
sanchezf said:
If it doesn't matter what make it is there are metric bikes you can buy used that would be cheaper and newer.

No make doesn't really impress me, I just want something that I am going to enjoy and not want to sell because it's to big.

Metric Bikes?
That is why you should go and sit on bikes and see what you like. I sat on every bike at Atlantic cycle and went for an 1100 Shadow. Liked the looks of the V-Star better but it did not sit as wel for me as the Shadow did.

When I traded for Harley I liked the softail classic but the Road King sat better to me.

It is not so much the size. When you are jittery and nervous a 883 Hugger is going to seem big. Once you get used to it a Road King gets "smaller". What you don't want to do is pay for a bike and in 6 months look to sell it because it is too small.

You sound petite so I am sure the 883 would fit your frame but that is preference.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
sanchezf said:
Ok since you guys seem to know a little something

Should I go to a course to learn or is having a friend teach me just as well?
GO to the course.. go before you buy the bike. The course affords a structured teaching plan, less chance of not learning something important. You could do both, but don't do ONLY the friend. I suggest taking the course before you buy, because you MAY just try it and not like it.

How much does a new skirtster sell for?? I thought the 883 was between 6500 - 7500 new? Why go 13 years old when you can get new for a little bit more?

883 is a good first bike just because it's hard to get too carried away. If I remeber right 48 HP??

But I agree with Pete, go sit on it, start it up.. see how well you feel on it, then before you buy it, sit on a few others.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
sanchezf said:
I have never rode a motorcycle before (Helpful Info)
I am looking at purchasing a 1993 Harley Sportster (Hugger) 883 it has 350 miles on it and the person wants $5000.00.

Question: Is this the right bike for me?
Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance
I'd offer him $1500...

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
THANK YOU GUYS

I'm going to enroll in the CSM course first before I buy anything (I like the idea of dropping theirs not mine), then go sit on everyone in the store to find the one my hinne likes best and then I will purchase something.

If I have any more questions, you guys mind if I come back and ask?

morganj614

sanchezf said:
THANK YOU GUYS

I'm going to enroll in the CSM course first before I buy anything (I like the idea of dropping theirs not mine), then go sit on everyone in the store to find the one my hinne likes best and then I will purchase something.

You do mean motorcycles, right? :roflmao:

Pete

Repete
A brand new 883 L out the door for about $9,000. I still think $5K is a bit much for a 1993. I would offer average retail $3500.

Remember, Harleys do not depreciate nearly as fast as other bikes. If you did buy it and ride it for a year chances are you could get nearly all your money back on it.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
sanchezf said:
THANK YOU GUYS

:lmao: You're a tall slender soon to be biker chick. MIND? Heck I'm surprised they haven't offered private lessons.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
sanchezf said:
THANK YOU GUYS

Lot of other places then CSM offer the MSF courses.. I think they already did their registration for the first couple of spring classes, you may have to look elsewhere to get into a course anytime soon.

Google MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) and they have a link to the courses listed by state.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
itsbob said:
Lot of other places then CSM offer the MSF courses.. I think they already did their registration for the first couple of spring classes, you may have to look elsewhere to get into a course anytime soon.

Google MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) and they have a link to the courses listed by state.

Thank you, I'd like to do as soon as possible

morganj614

aps45819 said:
Dayum, I didn't catch that.
:bawl: I guess Penn IS the master at being a dirty old man :ohwell:

I was just reading posts and thought how much fun that would be, to go sit on everyone and see which one my backside liked best :roflmao:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
bresamil said:
:high5: Smart chick!

Anyone offering anything up for free after asking you: Are you M/F, hieght/weight, what type of riding are you planning on doing?

Looks like signs for mischief