Moving to Florida - need some feedback

nawty1

Poker Shark
vraiblonde said:
Coca Beach, baby :yay: Work at Kennedy or RonJons. This could totally be you!

I loved Cocoa Beach!!! Small town but plenty to do!

My Dad is in Gainesville, Sis in Spring Hill, and Bro in Ocala...they all seem to like the areas, I just like my drastic season changes too much. Marylander for life :banana:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Seems like any place is what you make of it. As to employment as long as you can sling a hammer, cut lumber or any other construction type skill you shouldn't have a problem finding work as many communities are being rebuilt after a hurricane hits. Oh yeah, insurance adjusters are probably in regular need there too. :biggrin:

I like the western panhandle out towards the Panama City, Fort Walton Beach areas. For me it is just too hot most of the time for more then just a brief visit.

cissp

Cyber Cop
Re: Moving to Florida

Redwing91 said:
Hi, folks. I am thinking about moving to Florida and trying to decide where in FL to go. Could anyone give me some feedback on the nice areas, where the jobs are, etc. I am single, no kids, so I would be looking for an apartment rather than buying a house in the 'burbs. I don't want to go to any high-crime areas though. I would appreciate any comments/advice.

Hi,
I moved from Northern Virginia to Melbourne (Space Coast) one year ago, so I have a good (and recent) perspective on both areas. Melbourne is a good area, job wise, if you're in the IT field, due to employers like Harris, Northrup Grumman, DRS, AuthenTec, and Kennedy Space Center. In fact, out of Harris' 10,000+ employees, approximately 6,500 of them are based in Melbourne. If they hire you, you will get a good relocation package as well (packing & shipping, two vehicles shipped via the Amtrak AutoTrain, 30 days free lodging at a beachfront condo--with Per Diem, in addition to your salary--and a "disruption" bonus, which is usually several thousand dollars. Also, my salary only went down $10,000 from what it was in Northern Virginia.

Most of the things other posters mentioned about the lower cost of living are true, as well as the fact that you don't pay a state income or local tax. Melbourne is a rapidly growing area, which is both a good and a bad thing. Housing prices, while not at DC or Lexington Park levels, have risen dramatically. I sold a 4100 square foot home, 1/2 acre, in Dale City last year for $480,000. I bought a 2700 square foot home here last year for $300,000, open Florida floorplan, 1/2 acre, swimming pool, patio jacuzzi, 4 bedrooms, 3 full baths, landscaped yard, and a 15-20 minute drive to work. I'm told that my house would now sell for between $335,000 to $350,000.

Melbourne isn't a Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando (which is approximately 45 minutes drive northwest), and certainly not a big city by any measure. It is a small city that seems to have a handful of malls, Super Walmart, movie theaters, basically all the popular chain stores and restaurants. With the rapid growth, though, the roads are getting choked, leading to long waits at traffic lights. I'm also starting to see more DC area type aggressive driving. This seems to be a place where everyone is flocking to, and the schools and roads are suffering because of it. It being the South, don't expect things to get done quickly. And the businesses, well, they don't seem to care one way or another if they keep you as a customer or not.

Another concern are the hurricanes, of which we had two of the four major ones pass through here last year. After one, I had to get a new roof and fence. Also, we had no commercial power for 10 days after one hurricane, and 5 days for another, so a generator is a must. Locals here told me that the devastation from the hurricanes last year was unprecedented, but sometimes I believe lightning can strike twice (oh, and Florida leads the nation in the number of deaths by lightning strikes). On a positive note about the weather, you'll be able to go out in your patio in shorts and t-shirt almost every day of the year.

The "Snowbirds" (retirees living here during the Winter months) can be a concern for some. The roads, stores, and restaurants can be filled with them, but personally I've never had a problem, save for some that inexplicably pull out in front of you at the last minute. The way I see it, they pump a lot of money into the local economy, and they are usually more courteous people and better (safer) drivers for the most part. Naturally this being on the coast, you have to mention the beaches too, which are very nice and clean. The craziest it gets is sometimes Cocoa Beach during a festival or concert, but most of the out of control stuff is in Daytona, Ft Lauderdale, or Miami.

If you want a smaller place to live, away from (most) of the big city ills, Melbourne would be a good choice, and I don't think the salaries would be much less than the DC area. Bear in mind, though, the growth the city is experiencing. You might be able to get away from some of that big city madness, but not all of it.

Good luck with your decision, and I'm sure just about any place you choose in Florida will be a good one. Be prepared, though, to miss four separate seasons, better efficiencies from state/local governments, and the cultural attractions of the DC area.

GNO.Marathon

Orlando is VERY expensive to live. You end up having to pay tourist prices for things like deodorant and shampoo. You know when you go on vacation and need to get a bottle of aspirin, or a new toothbrush and you end up spending about twice as more than usual? That is what they have to do all the time.

girliegirl

Redwing91 said:
Hi, folks. I am thinking about moving to Florida and trying to decide where in FL to go. Could anyone give me some feedback on the nice areas, where the jobs are, etc. I am single, no kids, so I would be looking for an apartment rather than buying a house in the 'burbs. I don't want to go to any high-crime areas though. I would appreciate any comments/advice.

I Love Ft. Myer's - Sanibel & Captiva....Yes there is a older population, but this can have its plusses.....I think there is nowhere prettier, IMHO

B

Bruzilla

I was based at NAS Jacksonville for five years, and we moved back to Jacksonville last year, after living in St. Mary's County, MD for 12 years. We looked at moving to Jacksonville, Orlando, or Pensacola, and Jacksonville won out.

Saying that Jacksonville has traffic is a very relative term. I drive about 20 miles each way to/from work, and I'm in high traffic situations for about six of those miles. And I consider "In traffic" as anytime I'm on a highway and I have to touch the brakes. Traffic down here is nothing like it is in DC. The traffic in Orlando is more like DC's situation... you spend a lot of time going 0 MPH on the highways.

Jacksonville has malls, beaches, parks, arenas, etc. Orlando is nice, but you're going to do some driving to go to the beach. Orlando has more high-end nightclubs, but if you're not into the club scene, they're not worth the other hassles.

Jobwise, both Orlando and Jacksonville are booming! A lot of customer service/call center businesses are opening up down here. Verizon, Citi, AOL, Washington Mutual, Myrill Lynch, and many others have all opened big multi-building operations in Jacksonville, and there are a lot of defense contractors down in Orlando. The medical community is also big in Jax (I work for Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Florida, which is headquartered in Jax.) The Navy closed down a base outside of Jax called Cecil Field, and turned it into a big business park, and there's a ton of work there also.

If you want to move to Jacksonville, live at the beaches, Orange Park, or Middleburg. Southside is growing in leaps and bounds, but it's mostly professionals with no kids moving in. Forget the Northside, and the Westside is picking back up on account the Cecil Business Complex.

The best parts about Florida is that there's no state or county income tax, no vehicle inspections, and I'm only 30 minutes or less from five malls, beaches, great BBQ joints, the NFL, etc., and only 90 minutes from Daytona! :)

Oh yeah... that smelly old paper mill you've heard about has been gone for several years now.

S

scupper trout

Panama City Beach was very nice. I was stationed there for 4 years and loved every day of it.

Redwing91

Wow...thanks to everyone for your in-depth replies. This thread gives me alot of information. Florida sounds great! Maryland is a crappy state and St. Mary's County is so limited in many ways, and has nothing to offer me. I know there's no perfect paradise anywhere, but I'm ready for a change of scene. I'll post here again when I can find a job in FL and move there.

Triggerfish

GNO.Marathon said:
Orlando is VERY expensive to live. You end up having to pay tourist prices for things like deodorant and shampoo. You know when you go on vacation and need to get a bottle of aspirin, or a new toothbrush and you end up spending about twice as more than usual? That is what they have to do all the time.

Where have you been buying your stuff? I grew up in Orlando and unless you are buying in the tourist shops the prices are generally the same as anywhere else.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
scupper trout said:
Panama City Beach was very nice. I was stationed there for 4 years and loved every day of it.
Great fishing at Mexico Beach too. I haven't been down that way since the mid 80s, I bet it's changed a lot.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Redwing91 said:
Wow...thanks to everyone for your in-depth replies. This thread gives me alot of information. Florida sounds great! Maryland is a crappy state and St. Mary's County is so limited in many ways, and has nothing to offer me. I know there's no perfect paradise anywhere, but I'm ready for a change of scene. I'll post here again when I can find a job in FL and move there.

When you get there and find you don't like it, make sure you post how crappy and limited it is. Moron.

Redwing91 said:

Florida is a great place to live, and I doubt I'll be leaving here other than in a pine box. I'd prefer to live in the Northern part of the state (more open space there), but my wife's family lives in South Florida, so I'm here for the indefinite future for her sake. It's still pretty nice down here.

That being said, like you I was pretty itching to get out of Southern Maryland as well, and was willing to burn as many bridges as I could in doing so. But over the years, the hostility I had towards my home region has disappated. Southern Maryland is far from perfect, but so is Florida in certain aspects. I do miss the "down home" type aspect of SoMD; you do get a feel of the simple life there. Now I cherish my visits "back home" in Southern Maryland. I don't think I'll ever move back to Southern Maryland, but it is a great place to get away from it all, and it will always be "home" to me (hence, whenever I hear the song "Sweet Home Alabama", I always transpose "Calvert County" for "Alabama" and it seems to flow pretty well :lol: ). So my advice is to definetly enjoy Florida, but don't feel as though you need to burn all your bridges to Southern Maryland. As much as it seems to stink now, trust me, you'll feel some nostalgia down the road.

B

Bruzilla

Redwing91 said:

Take my word for this Redwing... if you wait to find a job before coming down here, you'll be in Maryland for the rest of your life! There are plenty of jobs here, but there are also a lot of employees as well. Unless you've got steller experience or connections, most companies won't hire you if you live out of state because they don't want to pay for you to travel for the interview, relocate to the state, etc., when they can get a local to do the job. I applied for hundreds of jobs while in Maryland, but I couldn't compete in the job market from 800 miles away.

I got lucky by getting laid off from my job with a defense contractor in Lexington Park. That enabled me to collect unemployment from Maryland even after I moved to Florida. I found a decent rental house in Middleburg using the internet, and moved my family down. The unemployment wasn't much, but it paid a good part of the bills and our savings covered the rest until my wife and I found work.

It's an uncertain and scary process, but basically it's a case of if you want to play it safe, you're not going to get anywhere fast. Those who risk a lot can gain a lot, and I gained about a 40% increase in pay, a 25% lowering of living expenses, and I'm living in vacationland USA. It was well worth the risk.

If you're really interested in coming to the Jacksonville area, PM or email me your resume and I can give you some suggestions on who to talk to down here.

John Z

if you will
elaine said:
When you get there and find you don't like it, make sure you post how crappy and limited it is. Moron.

I wondered if that comment would rub anybody wrong. :lol: