My experience at the Waldorf movie theater tonight...

SamSpade

The one time I remember really being irritated at noisy moviegoers, it was in the 80's, and a bunch of big guys from Boston University were behind me (just my guess, since they were college age and all wearing BU shirts). We called the usher twice, who was this skinny kid with acne and probably still in high school. His solution was to ask them politely to be quiet, and they told him to shut the hell up. He shrugged and suggested we move elsewhere in the theater.

Which supports one of my main axioms of life in general - all authority is derived from the ability to threaten or use force, and convincingly. One cop with a gun could have done it more convincingly than five twerps who sell popcorn.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
A lot of people talk about the park and its "issues", but most of them are either racist or ignorant. While the park does have a slightly higher crime index than the rest of the county, it also has a much larger population than other places. Most places in the US have the same issues, that is the problem with humans.

It is also funny that people complain about the process at the concession stands at the movie theater, and are willing spend $8 for a beer at a concert or a theme park, because it is expected to be that high.

People are not complaining about the park theater because they are racist. They are complaining about the park theater because it's small, dirty, outdated, falling into disrepair, exc. I could make a huge list of what is wrong with the theater. Being racist or not has nothing to do with my opinion of the Lexington Park theater.

SamSpade

People are not complaining about the park theater because they are racist. They are complaining about the park theater because it's small, dirty, outdated, falling into disrepair, exc.

I guess my complaint is - parking, dirty, small and just six movie options - not necessarily in that order.
I had a brief talk with someone this weekend who was bothered by the fact that you couldn't get "good" movies down here -
it was my comment that to remain in business, they must include the movies most likely to make money, which may not be the one you wanted to see.

With only six choices, a lot of movies that aren't at the top of the charts are never going to be down here. So that's one strike.
Another is that the rooms are small, so if the movie is very popular, they show it on two screens - limiting your options to five screens.

Add to that that they charge the industry average for movies - but there are now movie houses that offer a lot of amenities, room, comfort and
so forth for close to the same price. Basically, the Park theaters are antiquated.

As far as "racist" is concerned - I'm getting really tired of hearing people trot that out as a catch-all insult. Frankly, if there's ever been anyone of a different
race there, I never noticed - I spend most of the time in a dark theater with my friends or family.

acommondisaster

People like him who complain all the time will never be happy...no matter where he lives. I had a friend in HS who moved to Hollywood from Illinois. She biatched and moaned the whole 2 yrs she was here. Then, her family moved back to Illinois and then all I heard was "I miss it there so much!" :rolleyes: They're not happy people, so their unhappiness follows them everywhere they go.

The saying I always heard in the navy was the two best duty stations are the one you're going to next and the one you came from.

puggymom

We go to waldorf or a regular basis and never have a problem. Go in the morning or early afternoon when the ticket prices are cheaper and the teens are not around. I did watch a manager remove two people from a movie that were sitting in someone else seats, so they do have them on duty.

:yeahthat: Hubby and I must be getting old because we LOVE the first showing on a weekday morning (he's a shift worker so he has a lot of weekdays off). It's much cheaper and most of the time there are only 6 other couples our age or older.

merc669

Which Theater in Waldorf? The one at Mall or the one by Brandywine. My wife and me were thinking of going to see a movie up that way for a change of pace. If need be I can go up further to Annapolis. Thanks!!

SG_Player1974

There's a reason why I refuse to go to Waldorf to see a movie, why go to a DMZ area for entertainment? I have only gone to the one in town once in the past three years because Thing 2 couldn't wait for Captain America to come to the base. Until the new movie theater opens, it's either the base or wait until it comes out on DVD.

And exactly how long until the "indigenous populi" infiltrate THAT theater and make it the same CRAP PALACE that the park theater is now?

My money is 6 months to a year!

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
People are not complaining about the park theater because they are racist. They are complaining about the park theater because it's small, dirty, outdated, falling into disrepair, exc. I could make a huge list of what is wrong with the theater. Being racist or not has nothing to do with my opinion of the Lexington Park theater.

You are correct, the Lexington Park theater blows. My comment was directed about the general perception about the Park in general.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Which Theater in Waldorf? The one at Mall or the one by Brandywine. My wife and me were thinking of going to see a movie up that way for a change of pace. If need be I can go up further to Annapolis. Thanks!!

Waldorf has reclining seats and reserved seating. Order your tickets through fandango so you can get your seat ahead of time. Morning or early afternoon shows are the best time to go.

merc669

Waldorf has reclining seats and reserved seating. Order your tickets through fandango so you can get your seat ahead of time. Morning or early afternoon shows are the best time to go.

Nice I can do that. And Thanks! But which Theater?

C

czygvtwkr

You are correct, the Lexington Park theater blows. My comment was directed about the general perception about the Park in general.

Your general assesment of the Park is correct, although most will never admit it.

Hannibal

On one hand - I have to ask "What were you expecting?" when you decided to hit the Waldorf theatre on a Saturday night but on the other hand, I have to take the opinion "Why shouldn't you be able to enjoy the experience?" I was born and raised in Waldorf and it has changed DRASTICALLY in the last decade plus. And I haven't been to a movie in about that long. Only on the rare occasion will I attend during an off-hour where I don't expect the normal "rif-raf" to be around.

And to put it in perspective. I am big guy. 6'5" and hover around 300lb (hopefully no more than that). Certainly not in physical peak shape anymore like 10-15 year ago. But I am not "old" (mid-30's) and can easily handle my own with most. That being said, the fact that I can most-often can/could physically address any issues with the dumbasses who have NO disregard for fellow movie-goers, doesn't mean I want to. It's not worth it. A confrontation only serves to further create a scene. It can also often end up with the police involved and/or someone hurt. It's just not worth it. And now a days, any altercation usually doesn't end right then and there. You then have to deal with the spill-over into the parking lot which usually involves someones "boys" or whatever "toy" they can grab from their vehicle. All over a movie.

This is also why the ushers do nothing about it. It's not worth the hassle. Now-a-days, these thugs will feel so slighted by being removed or TOLD to keep it quiet, that they will hang around until the usher leaves. No $8/hr usher wants that kind of drama.

And it's a shame. I have three young kids. One of them is in that age where the movie-scene would be pretty amazing. I'd love to take him to see the new movie. Enjoy the seating, the screen, the volume, the popcorn, etc. Unfortunately, unless I want to take time off from work - there really isn't a good time that allows you to avoid to BS.

I am with the many here that have said it already. I'll wait for the DVD or to come out on streaming. I can buy the Blu-Ray for $20 and own it forever. It comes with a pause button and the snacks are much cheaper. And I don't have to run the risk of having my experience ruined by others.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
On one hand - I have to ask "What were you expecting?" when you decided to hit the Waldorf theatre on a Saturday night but on the other hand, I have to take the opinion "Why shouldn't you be able to enjoy the experience?" I was born and raised in Waldorf and it has changed DRASTICALLY in the last decade plus. And I haven't been to a movie in about that long. Only on the rare occasion will I attend during an off-hour where I don't expect the normal "rif-raf" to be around.

And to put it in perspective. I am big guy. 6'5" and hover around 300lb (hopefully no more than that). Certainly not in physical peak shape anymore like 10-15 year ago. But I am not "old" (mid-30's) and can easily handle my own with most. That being said, the fact that I can most-often can/could physically address any issues with the dumbasses who have NO disregard for fellow movie-goers, doesn't mean I want to. It's not worth it. A confrontation only serves to further create a scene. It can also often end up with the police involved and/or someone hurt. It's just not worth it. And now a days, any altercation usually doesn't end right then and there. You then have to deal with the spill-over into the parking lot which usually involves someones "boys" or whatever "toy" they can grab from their vehicle. All over a movie.

This is also why the ushers do nothing about it. It's not worth the hassle. Now-a-days, these thugs will feel so slighted by being removed or TOLD to keep it quiet, that they will hang around until the usher leaves. No $8/hr usher wants that kind of drama.

And it's a shame. I have three young kids. One of them is in that age where the movie-scene would be pretty amazing. I'd love to take him to see the new movie. Enjoy the seating, the screen, the volume, the popcorn, etc. Unfortunately, unless I want to take time off from work - there really isn't a good time that allows you to avoid to BS.
I am with the many here that have said it already. I'll wait for the DVD or to come out on streaming. I can buy the Blu-Ray for $20 and own it forever. It comes with a pause button and the snacks are much cheaper. And I don't have to run the risk of having my experience ruined by others.

Why not go to a weekend matinee?