my kindle

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
is my one true love. I adore it :yahoo:

Finished Stiff, recommended on the forums, super interesting, loved it. gory in a respectful way.

Just finished In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta Ahmed..... really interesting! I really like reading books about different cultures, and especially the women's place, and this was filled with interesting tidbits. It is NOT anti-islam, if that's what you are looking for. She is a proud muslim, but it is especially interesting to hear such an educated and westernized woman speak about living in a terribly repressive culture, some of her rationalizations are interesting. Also, she was in the kingdom when 9/11 happened, and it is terribly upsetting to hear her speak of the reactions people there had. If you read it prepare yourself for it, it hit me harder than I expected it to.

Empress orchid by Anchee min about dowager empress Tzu Hsi..also quite good. I think of her sort of like china's cleopatra..intrigueing woman who wanted power in a male dominated society. I don't think the novel is anywhere close to being historically accurate, but makes a really good read nonetheless. She grew up fairly poor but from a good family, ended up a royal concubine, got herself knocked up and ran things from behind her spoiled son.

what do I download next? I am not generally a fan of all of the popular novels and series..I like books about different cultures that are well written and filled with detail, bonus points if it is about that culture's women..

kk2187

Love love love my kindle! For some reason, I read much faster while using it. Though I still get that itch to have an actual book in my hands every now and then :lol:

I don't have any recommendations for the type of books you read, but I do love to look over this site every few days to see what they've found. It's generally a wide selection, most under $5. Daily Cheap Reads

Foxhound

Finishing last
Running kindle software on my laptop. Works pretty well. Since it came with 3 books, I've started reading Treasure Island for the first time since I was a kid.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Got mine back in August and just today put music on it, I love it, I've got a lot off books on it, only thing is I wish I had just waited another month to get it, would have gotten the fire. Darn it.

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. It has a lot of meaningful performance and capability issues as compared to, e.g., my iPad, but I think it's a great little device for what it is and what it costs. I think it'll get used enough to justify the expense and I think it will continue to see success, assuming Amazon adequately deals with a few important issues.

Thanks again to Santa!

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!
Kindle Fire rocks

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. It has a lot of meaningful performance and capability issues as compared to, e.g., my iPad, but I think it's a great little device for what it is and what it costs. I think it'll get used enough to justify the expense and I think it will continue to see success, assuming Amazon adequately deals with a few important issues.

Thanks again to Santa!

The wife loves hers as well. She has no complaints whatsoever.

2012 should be interesting for tablets. :buddies:

ginwoman

I like mine OK but find it difficult to hold on to. They need to make them more hand holder friendly if you ask me. I guess I will have to invest in one of the jacket/holder things....they're like $30 - $40 and I'm not ready to put any more money in it just yet.

tes218

is my one true love. I adore it :yahoo:

Finished Stiff, recommended on the forums, super interesting, loved it. gory in a respectful way.

Just finished In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta Ahmed..... really interesting! I really like reading books about different cultures, and especially the women's place, and this was filled with interesting tidbits. It is NOT anti-islam, if that's what you are looking for. She is a proud muslim, but it is especially interesting to hear such an educated and westernized woman speak about living in a terribly repressive culture, some of her rationalizations are interesting. Also, she was in the kingdom when 9/11 happened, and it is terribly upsetting to hear her speak of the reactions people there had. If you read it prepare yourself for it, it hit me harder than I expected it to.

Empress orchid by Anchee min about dowager empress Tzu Hsi..also quite good. I think of her sort of like china's cleopatra..intrigueing woman who wanted power in a male dominated society. I don't think the novel is anywhere close to being historically accurate, but makes a really good read nonetheless. She grew up fairly poor but from a good family, ended up a royal concubine, got herself knocked up and ran things from behind her spoiled son.

what do I download next? I am not generally a fan of all of the popular novels and series..I like books about different cultures that are well written and filled with detail, bonus points if it is about that culture's women..

You may like Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. Extremely interesting and a lot of surprising insights and twists.

thatguy

I like mine OK but find it difficult to hold on to. They need to make them more hand holder friendly if you ask me. I guess I will have to invest in one of the jacket/holder things....they're like $30 - $40 and I'm not ready to put any more money in it just yet.

the jacket is well worth it, particularly if you are having trouble hoding on to it.
I got the fire for the wife when it first came out. She loves it and hasn't experienced any of the shortfalls that others have noted. For the money id say its a great deal.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

ooh I missed this post..but please dont spend that much. I freaked looking at the jackets for mine..40 bucks for the "cheap" ones..I went online to ebay and got a really cute pink one for 5 bucks and some change, free shipping. :buddies:

ginwoman

the jacket is well worth it, particularly if you are having trouble hoding on to it.
I got the fire for the wife when it first came out. She loves it and hasn't experienced any of the shortfalls that others have noted. For the money id say its a great deal.

I found some covers on EBay that are knock-offs but they are like $10-$15. I'm still deciding what to do.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
If you are still looking for something new to read, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini are awesome reads.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
If you are still looking for something new to read, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini are awesome reads.

:yay: I read both..the kite runner still haunts me a little. I refused to watch the movie. I liked a thousand splendid suns better.

I got a book on my kindle recommendation list...it was called crooked letter, crooked letter..or something like that. The plot looked interesting..but I couldn't get past the first few pages..it was so overly descriptive I couldn't stand it. 2 paragraphs describing a guy going out to his mailbox and finding a package..I mean..you don't have to go the hemingway route..but good lord I can envision someone checking the mail without an explicit visual. This is why it is sooo hard for me to find and like a contemporary novel..it's like they are written for idiots.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
:yay: I read both..the kite runner still haunts me a little. I refused to watch the movie. I liked a thousand splendid suns better.

I got a book on my kindle recommendation list...it was called crooked letter, crooked letter..or something like that. The plot looked interesting..but I couldn't get past the first few pages..it was so overly descriptive I couldn't stand it. 2 paragraphs describing a guy going out to his mailbox and finding a package..I mean..you don't have to go the hemingway route..but good lord I can envision someone checking the mail without an explicit visual. This is why it is sooo hard for me to find and like a contemporary novel..it's like they are written for idiots.

I watched the movie before I even knew there was a book. That was several years ago, and I still shudder when I think about certain scenes from the movie.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
All I read are Westerns are there many Westerns for the Kindle?

I'm sure there are. I found a lot of free books too, all different types. I've even found some of my school stuff for the kindle, much cheaper than the actual books.