My new favorite restaurant...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...is Vera's :yay:

I took my step-daughter there for dinner tonight and we sat on the big deck while the sun was setting. It was the most beautiful sight in the world and the food was pretty good, too.

mommarock

vraiblonde said:

I took my step-daughter there for dinner tonight and we sat on the big deck while the sun was setting. It was the most beautiful sight in the world and the food was pretty good, too.

My niece just started working there. She just graduated with a culinary arts degree and is home for the summer, going back in the fall for hotel and restaurant management degree. She likes working there so far. Glad you enjoyed the food!

Bay_Kat

Tropical
vraiblonde said:

I went Friday night, they were packed, had an awesome band. I love that place, just got disappointed with the menu the first time I was there. The food was awesome, but I guess I was just expecting more for the price.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
It is nice...

so the food is okay? We went last year and the food wasn't very good.
Alex had the blackened chicken sandwich, which she said was good and she's not a huge fan of blackening seasoning. I had the crab balls, which were fantastic, and a side of incredibly good fries. There was a very tasty beer on tap, too.

In my opinion, this would be the perfect get-together location because it's halfway between me and you. :yay:

pagirl

From the online pics, the atmosphere looks very relaxing. I am having difficulty bringing the menu up for some reason.

My new favorite restaurant these days is Salsa's in Leonardtown. The food is so yummy and priced very reasonably.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
vraiblonde said:
Alex had the blackened chicken sandwich, which she said was good and she's not a huge fan of blackening seasoning. I had the crab balls, which were fantastic, and a side of incredibly good fries. There was a very tasty beer on tap, too.

In my opinion, this would be the perfect get-together location because it's halfway between me and you. :yay:

:yay: And it's in :gossip:'s hood.

We went there last year and heard a great band..and Pete and I rocked the house.

O

oldnavy

I agree, the place is great. Their Big Kahuna burger is the best I have had in this area. Menu lacks a little choice, but what is on it is good. I also second the motion that the fries are awesome and beer is cold.

Now, I was just talking to someone about this over the weekend. I thought I had heard/read that Vera has passed away...some time last year. The person I talked to this weekend said that she is still around and living in the house/castle next door. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Did the new owner/management get rid of the smell?

I really am being serious. A few years back, I walked in to look at a menu and had to walk out. :barf:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
oldnavy said:
I agree, the place is great. Their Big Kahuna burger is the best I have had in this area. Menu lacks a little choice, but what is on it is good. I also second the motion that the fries are awesome and beer is cold.

Now, I was just talking to someone about this over the weekend. I thought I had heard/read that Vera has passed away...some time last year. The person I talked to this weekend said that she is still around and living in the house/castle next door. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Here is a nice article about the new owners.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=598&sid=1155506

USNavyMike

vraiblonde said:

there goes the neighborhood!!! LOL..

Glad you liked it, Big event there on June 23rd, come one come all! $5.00 admission, 2 bands and plenty of good times!

Nanny Pam

I checked out their menu. They are a little pricey, don't you think?
I guess you're paying for the view. :shrug:

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
vraiblonde said:

Haven't been there since ownership was changed. Is the decorum the same or did the owners take out all the Budas and plastic palm trees and such out to the curb?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
High EGT said:
Haven't been there since ownership was changed. Is the decorum the same or did the owners take out all the Budas and plastic palm trees and such out to the curb?
They took the plastic palm trees and set them up around the grounds. The "beach" has two hammocks that are attached to plastic palm trees. :lol: The effect is very Florida and looks great.

Inside the restaurant, they've gotten rid of most (if not all) of the faux Polynesian scary stuff that made Vera's so kitschy. Now it's very much an attractive marina/beach club atmosphere. I think it still has a grass roof over the bar, but obviously it's not the "slap you in the face what the hell is THAT" thing it used to be, or I'd have noticed it instead of it just being a feeling.

That's probably why it doesn't smell in there anymore - they got rid of that old grass roof thing.

I thought the menu was great, selection seemed fine to me. Lots of good looking appetizers, tons of sandwiches and entrees. I never really look at menu prices but Alex and I walked out of there for $35: blackened chicken sandwich with fries for her; crab balls, fries and two draft beers for me. That didn't seem unreasonable, especially since the portions were quite large.

Our waitress, the charming Megan, was attentive and cute - we tipped her $10 because we liked her. She left us sit for several minutes when we were first seated because her main concern was getting this other table's food out to them while it was still hot. So I was impressed by that - a good sign that we, too, would get hot food (which we did).

We gave it two thumbs up and here's a pic of the view we enjoyed while dining:

Attachments

• veras.jpg
    veras.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 106

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
vraiblonde said:
They took the plastic palm trees and set them up around the grounds. The "beach" has two hammocks that are attached to plastic palm trees. :lol: The effect is very Florida and looks great.

Inside the restaurant, they've gotten rid of most (if not all) of the faux Polynesian scary stuff that made Vera's so kitschy. Now it's very much an attractive marina/beach club atmosphere. I think it still has a grass roof over the bar, but obviously it's not the "slap you in the face what the hell is THAT" thing it used to be, or I'd have noticed it instead of it just being a feeling.

That's probably why it doesn't smell in there anymore - they got rid of that old grass roof thing.

I thought the menu was great, selection seemed fine to me. Lots of good looking appetizers, tons of sandwiches and entrees. I never really look at menu prices but Alex and I walked out of there for $35: blackened chicken sandwich with fries for her; crab balls, fries and two draft beers for me. That didn't seem unreasonable, especially since the portions were quite large.

Our waitress, the charming Megan, was attentive and cute - we tipped her $10 because we liked her. She left us sit for several minutes when we were first seated because her main concern was getting this other table's food out to them while it was still hot. So I was impressed by that - a good sign that we, too, would get hot food (which we did).

We gave it two thumbs up and here's a pic of the view we enjoyed while dining:

Thanks for the critique and will definitly have to do Vera's this summer. As for those plastic palm trees they llok vaguely familar over at the Tiki bar.