My Pellet Stove up in Flames

I would imagine the Breckwell's and QuadraFire's are pretty darn close to safety - It would not turn me off to getting rid of it...

I would say you have an temp puck-sensor on the feed chute and more than likely it might be faulty... like I said, when it reaches a certain temp it kills all power immediately; the only way it can reach this if it flames up into the feed chute. BUT - it should never burn up the chute - we all know that :buddies:

I would bet an unusual 'caking' of dust/powder up in the chute - you know, I never clean up inside of mine... I guess not I will get a reducer to get a small tube to run up in there just incase, it can't hurt...

You may never know what really caused it because if there was a failure, Breckwell tech could easily say it was caused by the fire. :shrug:

Let us know what they say!

trilogy

i was thinking about switching from my freestanding wood stove to a pellet stove.now i dont know if i should

i was thinking about switching from my freestanding wood stove to a pellet stove.now i dont know if i should

This is so far, the only case I am aware of where a pellet stove caught fire. There are countless cases of wood stoves and flue pipes causing a fire. Pellet stoves create absolutely no creosote, nothing but non-flammable powdered ash. Wood stoves had few if any safety measures, pellet stoves have multiple layers of safety devices. Fuel is in nice clean 40 pound bags, no chopping, splitting stacking (ok, I stack the bags in the garage...), no vermin making nests in your woodpile, you can stack an entire season's worth of pellets in the garage, dry and clean, can't do that with logs. It's always dry and ready to use, no schlepping outside in the rain to get wet wood. You fill the pellet stove, turn on the thermostat and walk away.

I will continue to use mine and will never go back to a wood stove.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I did do a pretty thorough cleaning of mine this a.m. before starting it up. I ran the vacuum up the feed chute and was surprised by the amount of dust that I pulled out. I have been using Hamer's since day 1 and will continue to burn them.

I did do a pretty thorough cleaning of mine this a.m. before starting it up. I ran the vacuum up the feed chute and was surprised by the amount of dust that I pulled out. I have been using Hamer's since day 1 and will continue to burn them.

I'm finding the Hamer cokes up the pot WAY more often than other brands in my QuadraFire insert. As much as I hate the Pennington for the sawdust, I could easily go a week without having to clean the pot. With Hamer, barely 2 days. I'll try the Lignetics next time and see how they do.

OldHillcrestGuy

So is mine. Is yours still under warranty?

No its not under warranty any longer, had 1 year warranty on just about everything. I have called the manufacture today and waiting for them to call back they have really good tech support section that I have contacted before with good results. Im just wondering why there maybe wasnt some kind of safety sensor that should have shut the stove down, if the problem was pellets backing up the shoot and into the bin, and even if the burnpot had filled up with ash and was choked up I thought it was suppose to shutdown. I was burning Hamar's mixed with Penningtons when it went up in smoke, I had cleaned really good with vacuum about 55 hours before and I thought I was going to be good till Saturday morning when I was going to clean it again. Ive read on here how some of you guys only clean once or twice a week, I usually do it every other day.

THIS WILL NOT DISCOURGE ME FROM FIXING OR REPLACING MY STOVE, I love the thing. I will maybe not run it for longer periods of time if Im going out somewhere.
Last couple of days without the stove going I just hate it when I hear my oil furnace come on, called Becshe today to come out and top off my tank this week my last oil delivery was Oct 30th and if the gauge on the tank is correct its showing my tank to be 3/4th full. Im on automatic delivery but after I got my stove and I was using very little oil they put me down for every other time for delivery according to there system of delivery, something about degree days. When I called today the guy said I was scheule for later this week anyway. Im hoping for a less then 100 gallon delivery to keep that bill down.

OldHillcrestGuy

I miss my stove already. Besche delivered oil to the house today first time since Oct 30th a total of 91 days, I only used 66 gallons of oil.:yay::yay: and at $2.95 a galllon I want my stove back in operation soon.

Last edited:
not sure what brand my dad has but they called him one evening and told him that they were replacing teh augers on all the stoves that they had sold, would they like for someone to come out and replace it for him, he being mechanically inclined told them to just sent it and he would replace it.. if u like i can find out what brand his stove is

OldHillcrestGuy

not sure what brand my dad has but they called him one evening and told him that they were replacing teh augers on all the stoves that they had sold, would they like for someone to come out and replace it for him, he being mechanically inclined told them to just sent it and he would replace it.. if u like i can find out what brand his stove is

That would interesting to know what brand it is.:buddies:

belvak

Happy Camper
I miss my stove already. Besche delivered oil today to the house since Oct 30th my last delivery and today a total of 91 days, I only used 66 gallons of oil.:yay::yay: and at $2.95 a galllon I want my stove back in operation soon.

We are on Besche's automatic delivery too. We hadn't gotten oil since early last March and were beginning to think we must be getting very low (we have a 300 gallon tank). They came December 31st and only had to put in 130 gallons. We don't have a pellet stove, but burn our wood stove just about all winter!! Couldn't imagine living without one. Hope everything works out well with your stove!!

I miss my stove already. Besche delivered oil to the house today first time since Oct 30th a total of 91 days, I only used 66 gallons of oil.:yay::yay: and at $2.95 a galllon I want my stove back in operation soon.

I'm waiting for that. I haven't used any fuel to speak of this season, maybe 45 minutes total, but I haven't gotten a fuel drop since middle of winter last year when I WAS using the oil burner. So the delivery I get this season will still be a fairly big one just to fill up from what I used last year... :frown:

It may be a while before they can analyze/fix your stove. Have you considered getting another in the meantime?

OldHillcrestGuy

It may be a while before they can analyze/fix your stove. Have you considered getting another in the meantime?

I'll know tomorow morning thats when they will be coming. Its either fix this one or I'll buy a new one. Its out of warranty, Im maybe hoping if its fixable they will cut me some slack with any parts it may need.:shrug:
I'd kind of like to clean it up a bit and try it myself to see if it runs but the spouse would proably have a cow. So I guess its best to let them check it out thoughly.

I'll know tomorow morning thats when they will be coming. Its either fix this one or I'll buy a new one. Its out of warranty, Im maybe hoping if its fixable they will cut me some slack with any parts it may need.:shrug:
I'd kind of like to clean it up a bit and try it myself to see if it runs but the spouse would proably have a cow. So I guess its best to let them check it out thoughly.

I'm hoping you get lucky. I'm thinking because it was smoking and not completely up in flames that all of the components/motors/wiring will still be usable. OH, forgot they probably used water on it...maybe the motors need to be replaced...

Anyway, keep us posted! Really curious what they have to say on the cause of the fire. :buddies:

OldHillcrestGuy

They used no water to put the fire out, they scooped up the burning pellets from the hopper and put them in a pale and emptied them outside. My guys at HVFD did a good job of not tearing up the stove, a couple of scratches on top that applaince paint can take care of.

Vince

They used no water to put the fire out, they scooped up the burning pellets from the hopper and put them in a pale and emptied them outside. My guys at HVFD did a good job of not tearing up the stove, a couple of scratches on top that applaince paint can take care of.
Forgot to ask if you stove is freestanding or a fireplace insert?

I would like to know...

:popcorn: