My pup gave me a horrible scare on Thursday

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Never seen anything like this.

I was sitting here doing my school work and my dog just starts throwing up. It was non stop and I grabbed the phone to call the vet, while I'm dialing the phone, she's hunched up, tail between her legs throwing up. All of a sudden it's bright red blood. Now I'm really losing it. (I had just lost my cat on Sunday, so I'm really freaking out). The vet has a pet ambulance, but it was out. Once my dog stopped throwing up, she acted like nothing happened. I got her in the truck and off to the vet within 10 minutes of the start of throwing up. We get to the vet, they have the room ready, xrays and blood tests show absolutely nothing. The vet said because her vomiting was so violent, she broke blood vessels and caused the bleeding. They gave her a shot for nausea and some fluids and sent her home with antibiotics. Today she is perfectly fine and they are saying that it may have been a bug bite that caused her to be sick. When I see a dog throw up blood, I think the worst.

ZARA

omg :huggy: That is the worse feeling ever! I am so glad she is doing better now!!

Roman

That's terrible Bay Kat. My dog did that, and it ended up being the Doggie Flu. Poor little thing. You are a great Pet Mom to take her in so quick. Hope she continues to get better.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
That's terrible Bay Kat. My dog did that, and it ended up being the Doggie Flu. Poor little thing. You are a great Pet Mom to take her in so quick. Hope she continues to get better.

Well, after just losing my cat on Sunday to liver failure, I was about to turn in my pet owner card. They have dedicated a room at the vets office to me and my animals. My husband asked if I own the place yet. I don't car about the money, I just want me babies to be okay.

On a side note, I'll never get another pet again, I have 4 still (not including the fish) and this is just getting to be too nerve wracking. I stress over the fish in the pond, that's not good.

ZARA

Well, after just losing my cat on Sunday to liver failure, I was about to turn in my pet owner card. They have dedicated a room at the vets office to me and my animals. My husband asked if I own the place yet. I don't car about the money, I just want me babies to be okay.

On a side note, I'll never get another pet again, I have 4 still (not including the fish) and this is just getting to be too nerve wracking. I stress over the fish in the pond, that's not good.

:huggy:

I hear ya! I just had this same conversation with my husband. Of course mine ended a bit differently than yours did...

Me: I'm done after this honey.
Hubs: Why?
Me: I can't take the heart ache any more:bawl:
Hubs: *stares at me*
Me: *stares back*
Hubs::eyebrow:
Me: Yea, who am I kidding?
Hubs: No chit. You without animals? I can't see that happening.

luvmygdaughters

So sorry about your kitty BayKat. Glad your pup is okay though. I swear, they scare us as bad as our kids do when they get sick. After I lost my Nikki Girl, I swore I would never have another dog. That lasted about a year and I just couldnt set at home in the evenings by myself anymore. Hence, Capt. Morgan. Cant imagine our home without her now.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
So sorry about your kitty BayKat. Glad your pup is okay though. I swear, they scare us as bad as our kids do when they get sick. After I lost my Nikki Girl, I swore I would never have another dog. That lasted about a year and I just couldnt set at home in the evenings by myself anymore. Hence, Capt. Morgan. Cant imagine our home without her now.

Thank you.

I was back at the vet today, love my vet, we met there 5 minutes after I called her since today was a holiday. My big boy cat wasn't acting right and after what I went through last week with the other one, I wanted to get him looked at ASAP. Turned out he has an upper respiratory infection. She gave him a shot, some fluids and sent him home with antibiotics. He seems to be fine now. I really hope I don't have to see the vet again for a while.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Thank you.

I was back at the vet today, love my vet, we met there 5 minutes after I called her since today was a holiday. My big boy cat wasn't acting right and after what I went through last week with the other one, I wanted to get him looked at ASAP. Turned out he has an upper respiratory infection. She gave him a shot, some fluids and sent him home with antibiotics. He seems to be fine now. I really hope I don't have to see the vet again for a while.

:huggy:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Never seen anything like this.

I was sitting here doing my school work and my dog just starts throwing up. It was non stop and I grabbed the phone to call the vet, while I'm dialing the phone, she's hunched up, tail between her legs throwing up. All of a sudden it's bright red blood. Now I'm really losing it. (I had just lost my cat on Sunday, so I'm really freaking out). The vet has a pet ambulance, but it was out. Once my dog stopped throwing up, she acted like nothing happened. I got her in the truck and off to the vet within 10 minutes of the start of throwing up. We get to the vet, they have the room ready, xrays and blood tests show absolutely nothing. The vet said because her vomiting was so violent, she broke blood vessels and caused the bleeding. They gave her a shot for nausea and some fluids and sent her home with antibiotics. Today she is perfectly fine and they are saying that it may have been a bug bite that caused her to be sick. When I see a dog throw up blood, I think the worst.

Thank you.

:huggy:.... I hear ya..... Glad things are better..

Try working at the ER Vet..... that chit will make you :crazy:.... but on the other hand it makes me an awesome owner.... I am able to catch when one of my pets are not acting right ...just like that! For expample... my male GSD a few weeks ago started pacing, drinking lots of H2O, would lay down and get right back up.... I picked up on this within 5 mins of it happening.... he then walked by and I noticed his abdomen was a little distended...

ANYONE who has large breed dogs should be familiar with these signs :jameo:

so I palpated him and his stomach was large and hard....:jameo:...:jameo: we are starting to bloat ..... :jameo:.... :jameo:.... we have not twisted yet ... so I pop him 4 gas ex.... call my friend thats a vet.... give the vet the run down...
so when he went to lay down and sat right back up... I knew it was time to load up and head to work. :cds: I called the ER and gave them heads up .... I get there and palpate him before going in and the pressure is not like it was.

we did xrays and all the gas was moving thru the intestines :yahoo:....

I SAVED MY DOGS LIFE.....

Bay_Kat

Tropical

Try working at the ER Vet..... that chit will make you :crazy:.... but on the other hand it makes me an awesome owner.... I am able to catch when one of my pets are not acting right ...just like that! For expample... my male GSD a few weeks ago started pacing, drinking lots of H2O, would lay down and get right back up.... I picked up on this within 5 mins of it happening.... he then walked by and I noticed his abdomen was a little distended...

so I palpated him and his stomach was large and hard....:jameo:...:jameo: we are starting to bloat ..... :jameo:.... :jameo:.... we have not twisted yet ... so I pop him 4 gas ex.... call my friend thats a vet.... give the vet the run down...
so when he went to lay down and sat right back up... I knew it was time to load up and head to work. :cds: I called the ER and gave them heads up .... I get there and palpate him before going in and the pressure is not like it was.

I did work at the ER vet back in the early '90s and you're right, it was crazy, especially the night shift, that's when bad things always seemed to happen.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Everyone is doing great this morning. The only one that hasn't been to the vet in the past month is the old lady cat and she acts more like a kitten than the kitten.

crazykitty

Good Job!!!!! :buddies: Thanks for posting this now I know to watch for these signs in my big dogs. I don't think I could work with the emergency vet though......I would probably be bauling for the people loosing their pets.

I had to take mom to the one in Huntingtown this weekend and they asked me if I wanted a job. Lol