My Turn is Coming

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My big boy Bubba is on the decline. I first noticed a couple of weeks ago. His lush coat has started to get the old man coat. Eating more and drinking voraciously. Started to pee on the tile in front of the fireplace and on the kitchen rug, even though he has clear access to the litter box. I also noticed that it had to be changed more and more frequently.

I called the vet yesterday morning and they squeezed us in at 530 yesterday evening. After the blood panel results came back confirming my suspicions. Feline diabetes. Normal glucose numbers are 159/160, he's over 500. Oddly enough, he was right on target for everything else. He's dropped weight from 23 to 19 pounds, even though he's eating more. He also didn't even fight getting in his carrier or cry all the way to and from the vet. He was also Mr. Chill with all the staff while we were there for 1.25 hours.

Needless to say, I've been an emotional mess. His 14th birthday is coming up on March 12th. His cat-momma also knows something is wrong, she's been extra gentle and loving with him. In the meantime, I've decided to not treat due to his age and let him tell me when it's time.

😿

Last edited:

ontheriver

My big boy Bubba is on the decline. I first noticed a couple of weeks ago. His lush coat has started to get the old man coat. Eating more and drinking voraciously. Started to pee on the tile in front of the fireplace and on the kitchen rug, even though he has clear access to the litter box. I also noticed that it had to be changed more and more frequently.

I called the vet yesterday morning and they squeezed us in at 530 yesterday evening. After the blood panel results came back confirming my suspicions. Feline diabetes. Normal glucose numbers are 159/160, he's over 500. Oddly enough, he was right on target for everything else. He's dropped weight from 23 to 19 pounds, even though he's eating more. He also didn't even fight getting in his carrier or cry all the way to and from the vet. He was also Mr. Chill with all the staff while we were there for 1.25 hours.

Needless to say, I've been an emotional mess. His 14th birthday is coming up on March 12th. His cat-momma also knows something is wrong, she's been extra gentle and loving with him. In the meantime, I've decided to not treat due to his age and let him tell me when it's time.

😿
So sorry Rose. My Tajii is about 14. I thought I was going to lose him last year. He did bounce back, but it won't be long.
I feel your pain.

I agree about letting them choose their time.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

😿

I'm so sorry RR - stinks watching our loved pets get old and deal with old age issues. :(

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

😿
:bawl:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It is a hard thing to be faced with, that while we are all of their lives, they are part of ours.
Always try to keep in mind we gave them the best life possible while they were here.
5 of our past cats did not make it past 13. 😿

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It is a hard thing to be faced with, that while we are all of their lives, they are part of ours.
Always try to keep in mind we gave them the best life possible while they were here.
5 of our past cats did not make it past 13. 😿
Thanks. He's been living his best life since day 1, he was born on my bed. 😂

He's been in and out a few times today.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Isn't there a feline diabetic insulin?

Another cruelty set upon us mere humans by the galactic spirits, the short lifespans of our favorite snugly companions ..... cats, and dogs. Find solace in that Bubba has been your nonjudgmental and loving buddy for the time he's been with you, and will continue to be until that time comes. That is all we can really do in the moments such as this. Though it doesn't lessen the hurt, know that you are not alone in this moment. May warm fuzzies fill your days ahead.