Name Brand versus knock-off

PeoplesElbow

Harbor Freight is great when you need a specific tool for a one off or occasional use. Why buy a $200 nail gun to do a small job when a $40 nail gun from Harbor Freight will do? But you know that gun is not going to be as durable and its not good for someone that does construction on a daily basis.

I also have a set of Harbor Freight wrenches, screwdrivers, ratchets that I use for beaters and loaners, I don't loan my good #### out.

PeoplesElbow

Per the FDA: "Generic drugs are required to have the same active ingredient, strength, dosage form, and route of administration as the brand name product. Generic drugs do not need to contain the same inactive ingredients as the brand name product."

So while there may small differences in the drug's inactive ingredient compound, the "medicine" part has to be identical. I'm not discounting your anecdotal proof because I know a few other people who have said similar things. But someone would only know that there was a difference if they have had the chance to take the name brand drug and then switched to generic. And how much is perception in the effectiveness of the generic vs. name brand?

One of my best friends was a chemist for Mylan Pharmaceuticals and worked in quality control. He told me about how often they had to run tests to ensure the purity of batches and I was astounded how much they actually check the product.

I have noticed most hand lotions have the same active ingredient but some are still better than others for dry cracked skin, so there is more to a medicine than just the active ingredient. A lot of how a medicine works is dependant on where it is absorbed into your body from. Ibuprofen is supposed to be absorbed in the intestines instead of the stomach, that is why you should eat before taking it. I imagine a lot of the inactive ingredients in a medicine can determine where your body breaks it down to absorb it.

SamSpade

Harbor Freight is great when you need a specific tool for a one off or occasional use. Why buy a $200 nail gun to do a small job when a $40 nail gun from Harbor Freight will do? But you know that gun is not going to be as durable and its not good for someone that does construction on a daily basis.

That's always smart. I wish we had a Harbor Freight here. I know I wouldn't have bought the angle grinder or bandsaw I bought if there had been.
Each of them have been used less than three times.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Ok, so - sorry if I just sound dumb - they make a cheaper version of a product - because they've reached saturation of their main product?
Because it seems as though instead of making cheapo version of something - just ship out more of the expensive stuff, right? There must be more to it than I am getting.

Okay think like this..... Brand X has their "premium" green beans. They are premium because every green bean is of equal length and color. What is left over is the slightly off color irregular pieces, ie maybe not as deep a green as the premium, and includes the end pieces. Those irregular pieces, though not too noticeable, are packaged as a generic version, and/or, labeled under a store's brand label. Because, Brand X does not want to be known for an inferior cheaper product. So the leftover pieces are sold under another name. But, Brand X still profits from all the green beans it brought from farmers that it has processed. All the green beans go through the same possessing plant and are sorted and categorized prior to packing. Basically, it is done this way to reduce waste and increase profits. Why throw away what might otherwise be an edible and tasty green bean? They are not competing against themselves because they are in the business of canning green beans. It really doesn't matter the label.

Now, expand this example to all other vegetables. Premium (name brand) peas vs. irregular sized peas. Same with corn, carrots, beets etc.

As for hard goods. A "premium" lawn tractor may use a higher quality metal, plastic, tire, etc., than the same cheaper name brand coming off the same line that uses inferior made components imported from China to keep the sales price low. "Premium" transmission made in Canada. Cheaper name brand transmission made in China. Each transmission the exact same specifications and same look and function, as well as all the other parts. Assembled on same line. Same for many many things made.

Did I help you to better understand?

*Added* Remember this: "Scotch Buy, ain't fancy but it sure is good."

Last edited: